New Frank Sinatra 3-CD Set of Live Recordings: "Standing Room Only" - May 2018 Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulmock, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Perhaps "Sinatra In Japan" is the set that will be released in the fall?

2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Thanks so much Bob for that information on those two great albums from his Golden Nugget gigs in Las Vegas. I indeed have that Sinatra Live From Las Vegas album and love it as well, but yes I do like the richer and more consistent sound on the Vegas box set live disc. The song choices are great and since I saw him in that intimate ballroom twice in 1984, I treasure both those albums. He put on a fantastic show as I mentioned in the most memorable Frank Sinatra concert thread listed in this forum as well.

DmitriKaramazov and Bob F like this.
  3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

It would be helpful if we can keep track of the best price worldwide.

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Amazon.com and Sinatra.com Shop are showing the US retail price of $39.98 for the 3-CD set. Amazon’s price will likely drop before release. The uDiscover Music Store has it off the bat for $31.99. It’s still very early, but when available, stores like ImportCDs and Deep Discount should offer substantial discounts. Of course, sales tax and shipping need to be factored in also.

As an Amazon Prime member (free release-day delivery), I routinely order from Amazon as soon as possible, in hope of catching a momentary price drop with their pre-order price guarantee. I’ll cancel and switch the week before release, if something substantially better shows up.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  5. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Still wandering off-topic ....
    That Golden Nugget Show was the second show from 05 April 1987 with two minor changes:
    'Soliloquy' as well as the 'Monologue' had been taken out. They were replaced by the 'Monologue' and 'Spring Is Here' from the first show from 04 April 1987.

6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I remember reading the liner notes and being annoyed that the date of the performance were not identified. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm scribbling another post-it to put inside another Sinatra CD.

CBackley likes this.
  7. teag

teag Forum Resident

Have not put it on for a while but I recall the sound quality of the 2005 Live from Vegas Nugget CD is really poor. Hopefully the new release is much better than that one.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The new release has nothing to do with the Goden Nugget shows. As mentioned, that was “off-topic.” :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

You brought it up. But I guess that's OK.
    :laugh:

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Well, I answered a Golden Nugget question by @RSteven. :)

CBackley and RSteven like this.
  11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Actually, I myself would not describe the sound quality on the 2005 Live From Vegas CD as "really poor" considering it is from a soundboard recording, its pretty darn good. I have quite a few Elvis Presley soundboard recordings from FTD and though some of those are arena shows instead of a theater, I find those two live Vegas albums by Sinatra pretty darn nice and with better sound overall. I do not think you can even compare a soundboard recording to what we are going to get on the upcoming Standing Room Only set by Mr. Sinatra.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Soundboard or not, terrible sound. Please stay on topic.

As Steve Hoffman has requested, you should post your system on your information page.

13. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Man, I might have to brush up on my German.

14. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Ron, are you messing with us? What is this you speak of?

-Robert

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Pre ordered

Sinatra, Basie, Vegas...how can anyone say no?

CBackley, Humbuster, Quim and 2 others like this.
  17. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Hi all, been reading this forum for years and finally decided to sign up so I could chime in as well. I guess I needed a new way to procrastinate!

Personally, I was very excited by the tie clip performance because it was the first release of a complete Sands show, every other release was edited from multiple performances. There are edits on the tie clip, as well, but I think it's mostly to shorten between-song applause, that sort of thing. I hope Larry Walsh can clean it up for the physical release. If they decided to take every single show recorded for Sinatra At The Sands, put it in an enormous box, and charge a fortune for it, I'd probably be first in line (or online) to buy it.

I assume that any 1974 show that's released is because it was professionally recorded, not because FS was in terrific voice. But still, I'll take whatever they're dishing out. And the Main Event rehearsal show on the New York box was excellent, so maybe he had a good night in Philly as well.

And even though the Dallas show has been around both legit (in incomplete form) and on bootleg for ages, it'll still be great to get the complete show, presumably in remastered sound. It's a very interesting set list. No complaints on this one. And yes, I'm sure there's still plenty of far more exciting shows in the vaults that need to be released. I'm just hoping the estate puts the good stuff out before we're all dead!

PJ

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

CBackley and Pal Joey like this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You made some great points there, Pal Joey, all of which I agree with wholeheartedly. Yes indeed, I think that the shows that bookend this splendid looking release will be the highlights of the package, and yes we know it took Mr. Sinatra a little while to get his voice back to full splendor after the short-lived retirement, but you know he probably was pretty pumped to be playing that show in Philly so that show could be great as well.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  20. Quim

Quim Forum Resident

Well, one way or another, the oficial Sinatra live releases (boxes or single cd's) have give another chance or look for bootlegs that have been floating around for ages, my aplause for that. Let's hope that exemples like College Concert from 86 (terrific set list, FS on fine form), Austrália 74, Oakland 68 etc. etc. have another light on an legitimate release.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  21. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

I'd also like to see Westchester Premiere Theater form 76 and the White House from 73. There's more maybe a good remaster of the shows with Red Norvo.

CBackley and Quim like this.
  22. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The two holy grails as far as I'm concerned are the complete Perfectly Frank sessions (1953-55) and the "lost" 1978 studio session, which was found about 10-15 years ago (according to Nancy Sinatra) and still hasn't seen the light of day.

CBackley, Tord, roda12 and 1 other person like this.
  23. Quim

Quim Forum Resident

... Italy Tour 1986/1987, Maracanã, Brasil 1980...

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It appears that Larry has not improved the audio quality. Quite the opposite…

Out of curiosity, I bought the single track “Fly Me to the Moon” MP3 download from Amazon for $1.29. Unfortunately, it is more compressed than the tie clip file—both digitally and dynamically.

The (lossy) digital compression affects the audio detail and encoded file size. That doesn’t reflect on the upcoming (lossless) CD version, but for those who may be interested in the numbers:

Track time = 02:52
    Tie Clip file size = 7.4 MB (320K bps MP3) [encoded @ 48K Hz sample rate]
    Amazon file size = 5.2 MB (VBR variable bit rate MP3) [44.1K Hz sample rate]
    Lossless file size = 30.3 MB (1411K bps) [44.1K Hz sample rate]

The big disappointment is the mastering. As is typical these days, the decoded Amazon file is much louder and more squashed than the tie clip version:

Tie Clip dynamic range = DR13 (peak level = –3 dB; avg. RMS = –21 dB)
    Amazon dynamic range = DR9 (peak level = over; avg. RMS = –13 dB)

We can hope that the CD version will be a different mastering, but that is probably wishful thinking.

25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well thats a bit of a bummer. So Larry did the remixing and Seth Foster did the remastering. I am not familiar with his work. Do we know anything about Mr Foster's previous remastering work and has he ever worked on anything else by Mr. Sinatra? I will keep my fingers crossed that the CD mastering is different than the MP3 download.

Jimijam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.