New Frank Zappa Anthology ZAPPATITE Out in September

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Although this one kinda smells more like a UMe thing than a ZFT thing.

Then again, the new tradition of half-ass cover art does suggest the latter.

dlokazip likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yet the ZFT, between 1995 and now, offered no alternative of their own, sooooo...

Billy Infinity and Ignatius like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think UMe (like Ryko in the past) has the rights to do these comps, not the ZFT. I agree the artwork is from the same cloth as their releases though.

4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Categorically, the sound will be better on this one than on Strictly Commercial.

Of the songs that were not on SC, most appear to be wisely selected.

I would not have chosen "Cocaine Decisions", though. I do not approve of omitting "Montana" and "Muffin Man", either.

Glad that newbies will no longer be subjected to "Fine Girl" and "Disco Boy".

rstamberg, jawaka1000 and vince like this.
  5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It is currently not in vogue to compliment Gail, but I did think most of the CD artwork during her regime was respectful. At times, it was even sublime.

Ahmet seems to have embraced Frank's sense of kitsch without his sense of artistry. This has resulted in a whole different category of cheepnis.

Now, if the idea is the spend less on packaging and more on audio, then, by all means, keep mocking up the CD inserts on PowerPoint.

If the packaging budget has remained the same, however, sorry. Gail did it better.

rstamberg, Mr. H and gd0 like this.
  6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'd go so far to say that, with very few exceptions, they were routinely excellent.

I'm quick to criticize Gail for whatever, but on this topic the career designer in me sez: look at the evidence.

It's always never enough as far as the fans are concerned, but what she did manage to deliver was done well across the board. The UMe catalog overhaul was miraculous.

rstamberg, kendo and dlokazip like this.
  7. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

This is great point.

Best of or GH albums are often a good starting point for newbie to any category.

Hardcore fan dismiss these collections but they do help bring new fan along for the ride.

rstamberg likes this.
  8. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

I agree - Cocaine Decisions isn't a favourite of mine either. I do love "Fine Girl" though! I wish they had done a two disc set and fit a few more from the Strictly Commercial release in (I always loved the seque from "Sexual Harassment In The Workplace" into "Planet of the Baritone Women") as well as favourites like "Inca Roads", "Black Napkins", "Brown Shoes Don't Make It", "Magic Fingers", "Big Swifty", "Eat That Question", "Blessed Relief" (I love the Grand Wazoo album)...

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Hungry for Zappa? Get a full plate of Frank Zappa s tastiest music. Spanning three decades and 18 tracks, this compilation is a sampler platter for the curious and a buffet of favorites for the fans. From 'Trouble Every Day' off the 1966 Freak Out! album to 1987s 'Strictly Genteel' featuring the London Symphony Orchestra, Zappatite cooks up a feast of Frank Zappa s expansive work. Get a big helping of Frank Zappa on Zappatite.

Tracklist
    1. I'm The Slime
    2. Dirty Love
    3. Dancing Fool
    4. Trouble Every Day
    5. Peaches En Regalia
    6. Tell Me You Love Me
    7. Bobby Brown Goes Down
    8. You Are What You Is
    9. Valley Girl
    10. Joe's Garage
    11. Cosmik Debris
    12. Sofa No. 1
    13. Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
    14. Titties & Beer
    15. G-Spot Tornado
    16. Cocaine Decisions
    17. Zoot Allures
    18. Strictly Genteel

10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

This is getting worse than the Hendrix estate. The last 'big' compilation (Understanding America) isn't even 4 years old...

ParloFax likes this.
  11. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

F this S. Put out some of the mountain of unreleased stuff and stop pandering.

Ignatius and dlank like this.
  12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Ditch the spoken crap and Tanta and I'm perfectly happy with UM and assorted cousin releases (Weasels, Sandwich and Finer Things).
    In fact, I burned my crap-less UM years ago, so if the new set doesn't offer anything of significance I'm out.

13. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

These comps aren't for existing fans, they are to attract new fans. Stop yer belly-aching already. It's not like they haven't put out 5 vault releases in the last year, with surely more to come.

rstamberg and Galeans like this.
  14. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Wow. That cover is awful.

15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Well, at least I can be happy with the fact that recent releases don't go for astronomical prices anymore.

gd0 likes this.
  16. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

How many new fans do you expect to attract this way? How many existing fans are going to shell out for tunes they already own, or inferior alt takes thereof?

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The reverb on the Uncle Meat CDs make them less than ideal, even when creating your own CD-R or playlist to omit the penalty tracks. It works, but the sound quality is a bit off. Some people can deal. Others can't stand it.

The vibe that I have gotten is that the UM Project/Object will have the complete album remastered from the original analog tapes as the first disc, including the original mix of "Mr. Green Genes". Don't hold me to that, but that's what I'm feeling. Combine that with the single mixes and alternate takes that we know are there and that will make this one essential.

gd0 likes this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is there any way WE can send a message to Joe (since he's a member of this forum), and ask him?

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As I recall Joe and/or Mike Keneally have confirmed online that there is unreleased material set to be included on an expanded Uncle Meat release. No known release date.

20. vince

Yeah.... but, wouldn't it be cool if they told us about it HERE?!

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Galeans likes this.
  22. citizensmurf

Just on this forum there are several threads of new fans asking for advice on how to get into Zappa. Clearly a new compilation is a good idea for such a daunting and diverse catalogue.

Is it so hard to put yourself in the shoes of some music fan who has never heard of Zappa and just happens to spot this comp in the store or on iTunes? He's dead, he isn't played on the radio and his one promo video is 35 years old, so he's not exactly "trending". How else are you supposed to attract new fans?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  23. vince

Have the kids have a fight about the Family Trust??
    :hide:

24. citizensmurf

I can see it now, a new Kickstarter to pay for the lawyers, with a bonus comp called "Ahmet Thinks You're A Jerk".

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There's plenty of poorly thought-out compilations, but I think SC served it's purpose back in the day. If forced to distill Zappa down to under 80 minutes in 1995, I think it did as good job as it could have.

Billy Infinity and ShawnX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.