New from Marantz SA-8005

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jim T, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Nice. Thanks for the posting and link. Wish it had balanced outputs though...... (gotta gripe about something right?)

3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

:agree: :laugh:

And does it convert DSD to PCM?

4. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have written Marantz and asked them directly about USB to DSD.

5. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Nice! This looks to be another winner from Marantz. I love my SA8004.

6. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

Is this player out? Anyone heard this?
    I'm kinda interested but can't find any reviews.

7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Audio Advisor and Crutchfield are selling them. Not sure about any reviews, I haven't looked for any.

Correction: Crutchfield shows Expected: 2/14/2014

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The 8005 is $200 more than the 8004 but I can't see any reason (i.e. extra features) to justify the jump.

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Interestingly, their UD7007 Universal Player does. I'm not sure which of their audio only disc players carries XLR connectivity, but I was surprised to see them on the 7007. Handy if I ever get another amp that has them.

JMCIII likes this.
  10. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

None of the Marantz SACD players have been extensively reviewed. When I bought my SA8003 there were only a couple of internet reviews.

11. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Huh?
    The Pearl SACD player has been extensively reviewed and praised...as have several of the SA series players.

12. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I've read stories about the Pearl "line" and interviews with Ken Isiwata but nothing on the SA8003 or 8004 except one review in What Hi-Fi.

13. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

Does look very similar to SA8004, with one new feature - able to accept DSD to the DAC. There's also some mention of better isolation, but may be difficult to measure that it makes a difference.

14. amham

amham Forum Resident

Any reason why one should upgrade from Sa-8004? Are the only substantive differences the DSD decode and async USB? Did they restore the CD text feature dropped in the 8004?

15. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I would think those would be reason enough - provides the sound is either the same or better.....

16. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

The player is out, but still no reviews yet. I just read a report that the USB driver is faulty in the current version. It seemed Marantz tech support has confirmed this as well.
    Driver issues seems fairly common, I'll see how this plays out.

17. amham

amham Forum Resident

I've tried 4 completely different Windows 7 machines and the DRIVER FAILS each one. I've installed correctly although Marantz support states that is my problem. It is not, the "USB High Speed Audio" driver they use is faulty. Anyone else have this problem with the SA8005?

18. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Many Maranntz products now manufactered in China after tsunami in Fukishima district.

19. Kit

Kit Forum Resident

I'm considering this player as well. As it relates to the USB driver, the driver is required for the rear connection and not the front panel USB, correct?

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

+1.

Balthazar likes this.
  21. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

Looks like amham is the only one here who has one.
    amham, I realize there is the USB driver issue, but beside that, how is the player? How is it compare to other players you know?

22. Kit

Kit Forum Resident

I see the SA8004 model is still available in some outlets for $899. I may just go for this while I can since it fits my needs. It would appear the SA8005 mostly adds the hirez streaming compatibility.

23. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I'm confident that you will enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Kit likes this.
  24. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I preferred the SA8004 over the Sony XA5400ES. And the only DAC input I need for the player is for my Sonos. Really, if I were looking to spend $1200 and wanted all the bells and whistles, I'd probably be more interested in the Oppo 105, although I haven't heard it. The only thread I see on the SA8005 is this one. The Windows driver problem would annoy me:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703634/new-marantz-sa8005-windows-driver-broken

The SA8004 is really great. Amazingly quiet transport.

Kit likes this.
  25. sgb

sgb Senior Member

My dealer loaned me both the Oppo and the Marantz, allowing me to make my own choice. Aside from not needing all the extras, I felt the Oppo didn't sound as musically natural.

Yes, the SA8004 has a quiet transport, and since it betters my SA-14 by a significant margin, it shows that Marantz hasn't stood still on the R&D.

JMCIII and Balthazar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.