New from Marantz SA-8005

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jim T, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Really?

I don't hear the difference.

2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Assuming you are driving some kind of DAC with the output of your ATV, try driving the same DAC with native 44.1kHz and I'd be surprised if you couldn't hear the difference. It wasn't subtle for me. There was a thick veil over the detail in the upsampled version.

I had been using an Airport Express just prior to switching to the ATV. The Airport Express sends native, bit accurate 44kHz/16bit out the TOSLINK. The difference was immediate to me.

I've since moved on to a Mac Mini and Audirvana feeding the Gungnir.

3. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Gloomrider, my exact experience. When I got my ATV I set it up to do all it could do and was amazed at the difference. I run a Audioquest Forest mini-TOSlink from the APE to my Marantz SR6004 and the sound is better than I could ever expect from a $99 gadget.

4. gloomrider

I don't mean to bag on the ATV, but as I like to say, "AirPlay ain't AirTunes".

But the bad news is that the Gungnir didn't like the output of the Airport Express. Apparently the jitter rate was too high. :(

5. Jim in Houston

Gungnir, who? what?

6. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Yep, just sat down with it. You're absolutely right, there is a difference. Though I didn't hear a thick veil, as you described. To me it just sounds like it's running a little "hot" on the Apple TV. Like everything is ever so slightly overdriven. Not to the point of distortion, or anything like that. Hard to describe, but you are definitely right. Guess I'll have to move my Airport Express out to the living room when we get our Time Capsule. How do you control the AE? Can you use the iPad remote app for it?

7. gloomrider

The iOS iTunes Remote app works well, yes.

8. Jim in Houston

Can you use the iPad remote app for it?

Yep, because you aren't actually controlling the Airport Express, only the iTunes.

9. gloomrider

Sorry Jim. Schiit Gungnir.

10. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Thanks, gents! Guess I'll be moving my Time Capsule purchase up to this weekend.

11. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Does the 8005 have the "scrolling text" feature for SACDs?

That's where the current song title scrolls across the display at the start of the track. It was a feature the older Sony and Marantz players had, and I always liked it.

12. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

I have the same unit. The front usb port, using a memory stick or iPod, will process Red Book files through the Cirrus 4898 DAC system.

13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm not sure if my eyes glanced-past the post or not. But can anyone explain what the difference is supposed to be between the SA8004 and the SA8005?

14. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

$850?

Where?

16. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

x2

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  18. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Thinking about getting the 8005. Will use it with my old Mac Pro to play hi-res files through the 8005 built-in DAC and also play the SACD's I have. I am using a Dragonfly DAC now connected from my Mac Pro to my pre with about 20 feet of cheap RCA cable. My Pre has no digital connections. Any other thoughts on the 8005?

Pat

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Just picked up a NIB model from a local dealer. FWIW the VERY knowledgeable staff (Music Direct, what a blessing to live near them) said this was the best player for 2-channel music when compared to its competition (yes including the Oppo).

Balthazar likes this.
  20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

That doesn't surprise me.

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

True enough; I had to scout round the web for a few reviews for my then new SA-7001 KI Signature. Audioenz in New Zealand, another in the States and I think I stumbled across a UK review by chance. It was a great buy though and was only recently replaced.

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I don't listen to reviews very often.

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The reviewers I trust are fine. In the case of the NZ title,the reviewer was bang on the money.

By and large though I agree and especially in recent years.

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll read equipment reviews to look at specs and so forth but the bottom line is I wouldn't let them be a deciding factor on buying. I never, ever pay attention to reviews when it comes to the sound quality of a CD or record. One person will say the release sounds terrible but it will sound fine to me.

25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Because few places exist to audition components, reviews are kind of a starting point. Even auditioning has limited value as well. I take pro reviews with a grain of salt and sift through the user reviews of audio forums but everyone seems to have an agenda. In the end you get a pretty good idea of what component A will sound like vs. component B but even this understanding can change once you plug it into your system.
    A trusted, knowledgeable dealer with a true commitment to your satisfaction and a liberal return / exchange policy is the only way to go for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.