New gear! B&W CM10S2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soulboogaloo, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soulboogaloo

soulboogaloo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    just wanted to share the joy! I was looking for some decent pair of speakers to match my Mc amp, and I finally chose the B&W CM10 S2.
    Well, first thing first, it was such an adventure to get them home : they're large, and soooo heavy!!!
    But now they're home, and I'm already trying them of course!
    On classical (both orchestra and chamber music), they're definitely great! You can actually feel the musicians presence and listen to every detail . The soundstage is pretty wide, too.
    On small jazz ensembles, they sound fantastic as well, just like the musicians were just in front of you!
    On more modern music (hip-hip, R&B), I find them a tad too bassy and boomy. Even if I could get them a bit far from the wall behind, it seemed a bit better by putting a part of foam that is supplied into the bass reflex holes. not all the foam part, just a kind of ring, to reduce the hole's diameter, otherwise the bass was totally erased!
    On one record (the Whiplash movie OST, on the "Whiplash" track, I found the hi-mids and trebles really harsch, don't know if because the speakers need some break-in (bought them new...)

Now I'm listening to Snarky Puppy's last album, Culcha Vulcha on vinyl, and the imaging is absolutely terrific! Close your eyes, and you can visual all of them (it's a very large band!) in the studio!
    The neighbours don't seem to be home, so I take this opportunity to listen to them at fairly high level (well, level at 10/100 is already really loud on the Mac!), and I would say that they are both really precise but don't create any hearing fatigue.
    Well, that's it for now, I guess I now have to break them in during the whole weekend!

2. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Nice choice from what I hear from others. Congrats!!

3. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Nice!! I agree that these speakers sound better than their price would indicate. What I was surprised by was just how much better they sound than the CM9 S2 when I compared them side by side at my dealer!

Enjoy them!!

4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Pics!

schizzzo and Mazzy like this.
  5. soulboogaloo

Here it is, Sir!

[​IMG]

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

7. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Nice choice. These are the ones I am dreaming for. Hope to some day have them hooked up to my Mc. Keep the details coming.

8. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I've got the same speakers and love mine. They're powered by a McIntosh 402:cool: congrats on your new speakers, you like them now you'll love them later after the break in.

soulboogaloo likes this.
  9. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

B&W and McIntosh complement each other:righton:

wgb113 likes this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Beautiful!

11. soulboogaloo

OMG!!! Can I possibly be THAT stupid??? See, In the original post, I wrote that sometimes I found the high mids and trebles a bit harsh. Well, it took me 10 days to realize that somebody (I have 2 kids and sometimes their friends at home, but it's probably a coincidence!!!) had cranked the treble pot up!!!
    I usually never touch the treble and bass pots, so I didn't pay any attention, and actually this morning, once again I was thinking that the trebles were really aggressive, so I decided to roll-off the trebles a little bit, that's where I realized something was really wrong!
    And now guess what? That's far better! Yes, you can really call me stupid, that's what I'm currently doing for hours now!!!

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Beauties!

13. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I bought these about 9 months ago and love them. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

I find myself digging through my recordings listening to stuff I probably overplayed in years past, growing bored. Now with these new speakers, it's like hearing them for the first time. The sound of drums and acoustic instruments is so much more detailed and lifelike.

14. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Also, I think you will find that the low end on these will tighten up after break in. The drivers get a little faster.

15. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Congrats! Those are gorgeous and I bet they sound terrific. I agree about the break in, bet they open up in the next couple of weeks.

How would you describe the different between the CM9 and CM 10?

16. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

This is true! Sad to see my combo going - would keep it around if I had the space.

Congrats on your new speakers! Glad you figured out what was the issue.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  17. soulboogaloo

Honestly I can't tell, never tried the CM9s!

I'm still really happy with the CM10s anyway, even if sometimes the bass a bit too boomy, typically as bass reflex, don't know if the positioning might change something, I've gotta perform a few tests! Currently they are quite far from the wall so I don't know...

18. scoredaddy

scoredaddy Forum Resident

same speakers I bought approx 6 months ago!! I love them!!
    noticed also the harshness in mid-highs. I adjusted the tone controls and it got better as the months have passed...

19. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

I wonder how different these sound from the 683 s2. Same mid and tweeter.

20. Bananas&blow

These are not the same tweeter.

21. Ron Scubadiver

How's that? It's in a different "thing" on the top of the cabinet, but is that all?

22. Bananas&blow

No that is not all. It is a different tweeter, not just in a different location. This has been true of the difference between the 600 line of B&W's and the mid level (CM, CDM, CNT) for over 20 years. They might look similar but they are not. CNT lines had the 800 series nautilus tweeter, the 600, to my knowledge, has never had the nautilus tweeter. I like B&W speakers a lot but sadly only have two pairs at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  23. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Beautiful enjoy them.

24. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I have the original 683 towers. The CM10S2 are a revelation. I loved the 683s. But once I started upgrading gear, phono stage, cartridge, amp, it became clear the 683s didn't have the capability of real clarity and definition. When the CM series was being closed out, I nabbed a demo pair in mint condition. It's Iike a veil was lifted off the high end and the bass tightened and deepened. And these are absolutely stunning for movies. Do a great job in both worlds. Really loving the CM10S2. The 683s are now my surrounds and do an awesome job there. Loving mutichannel music!! Had to upgrade the center from the original Centre 2 (which matched the 683 nicely) to the Centre 2 S2, but it's made me appreciate music I've listened to for decades in a whole new way.

Matt Richardson and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. Ron Scubadiver

It's kind of academic now. My 683 S2's were destroyed by the Hurricane Harvey flood, along with the entire house and most of what was in it. CM's are most likely sold out by now. The new 700 series is getting good reviews. I have a pair of LS50's, a very different ball game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.