New graham nash (This Path Tonight) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Description
    This Path Tonight is the new studio album and collection of 10 songs from Graham Nash. Produced by Shane Fontayne, this is Nash's first solo record of new music in fourteen years. The title track, This Path Tonight, is the debut single. Like the album, the song is one of reflection and transition of a singer-songwriter whose career (the Hollies, CSN, CSNY) has spanned more than five decades and counting. Graham Nash is a two-time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Songwriter Hall of Fame Inductee, GRAMMY™ Award winner, and Officer of the Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.).

The Deluxe Edition is an Amazon exclusive piece, which includes the full album and a bonus companion DVD.

Tracklist
    1. This Path Tonight
    2. Myself At Last
    3. Cracks In The City
    4. Beneath The Waves
    5. Fire Down Below
    6. Another Broken Heart
    7. Target
    8. Golden Days
    9. Back Home
    10. Encore

[Deluxe Edition Bonus DVD]
    1. Bus Stop
    2. King Midas
    3. I Used To Be A King
    4. Marrakesh Express
    5. Immigration Man
    6. Golden Days
    7. Myself At Last
    8. Wasted On The Way
    9. Wind On The Water
    10. Our House
    11. Military Madness
    12. Simple Man
    13. Margeurita
    14. Taken At All
    15. Watch Out For The Wind
    16. Just A Song
    17. Cathedral
    18. Chicago
    19. Blackbird
    20. Teach Your Children

Airbus, Yorick, dylankicks and 8 others like this.
  2. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Great news..but not out till April 15?!? I would buy the Amazon exclusive, but I hope there is a vinyl release.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Great cover

ARK, zongo and jpmosu like this.
  4. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

If there were 20 sings written, then he's hopefully holding some back for CSN or - unlikley though it may be - Y

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There is a vinyl release ($22.98) listed - unclear if that comes with the DVD as well.

6. RayS

"Burning for the Buddha" and "Exit Zero" apparently didn't make the cut for either the album or the DVD, unfortunately. Pre-ordered and excited to get a new Graham album!

Matthew Tate and Mark Snowden like this.
  7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Any details on the DVD? Looks like a video retrospective.

8. RayS

It certainly looks like a fairly recent (2013 or newer) live concert.

9. RayS

By doing a little digging through set lists, it's clear that the DVD is a complete concert from August 2, 2015 at Levon Helm's Studio in Woodstock.

10. rjp

i think 'buddah' is a CSN song, and IF they ever do another rcord it will be on there, 'exit zero' i have not heard.

11. rjp

maybe someone here can make sense of this:

this album has a track listing

it has 3 different versions that we are aware of (rumors of an amazon exclusive download only with 3 bonus tracks are out there)

the artwork is, obviously, done

why so long to be released?

12. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

13. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Record Store Day is April 16. Maybe that's the reason for the release date.

ARK likes this.
  14. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I hate these exclusive releases. Just put out one version and I'll buy it.
    Please don't guide me to where I will. Don't Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Walmart and the like have enough market power already, at the expense of the mom & pops?
    Graham, how does this jive with your sensitive, responsible guy image? You know, barrel of pain and all that. Curious.

vegafleet, jwb1231970, d.s.l. and 5 others like this.
  15. RayS

He's performed both songs extensively both solo and with CSN. I can't believe that there's really a possibility of a fresh CSN album, but then again I didn't expect this album either.

16. RayS

17. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Maybe he wants to tour to promote it?

18. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Nice...I saw him the night before on August 1 in Indianapolis. He mentioned they would be driving all night after our show to get to Woodstock.

RayS likes this.
  19. RayS

He is doing a solo tour in January/February.

csnfan likes this.
  20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm in, as usual.
    I'll just wait for the inevitable Japanese SHM-CD or Blu-Spec CD2 Deluxe Edition with all the bonus stuff from everywhere. More expensive. More reliable.

Captain Groovy and csnfan like this.
  21. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I didn't know that yet...well, that's interesting then. You'd think he'd want it out by the time the tour starts.

I just looked up a few nearby tour dates on Ticketmaster as I may try to hit one of these shows. It's interesting that the Ticketmaster listing bills it as the "This Path Tonight Tour 2016" when the album won't be out for quite awhile after this tour starts.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    ARK and csnfan like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I was wondering what happened to those tunes. isn't there another new tune missing? didn't he have one about some protest figure or something?

csnfan likes this.
  23. Spacer22

Spacer22 Forum Resident

I'm very glad to see this. Graham Nash seems to be on a songwriting tear lately. He's been playing a lot of new songs which are solid in my opinion. So I'm puzzled by the song selection on his new album. In concert, the new songs he's played for the past couple of years have been: Burning for the Buddha, Exit Zero, Olympia, Almost Gone, Golden Days, Myself at Last, Back Home, and Watch Out for the Wind. Out of those, only Golden Days, Myself at Last, and Back Home are on the new album. Watch Out for the Wind is a bonus track, but it's very strong and topical, regarding the Ferguson riots last year. It's been mentioned above that Burning for the Buddha and Exit Zero are great songs, and I agree - maybe they're being held back for a CSN album? Almost Gone is also great, and very topical - it may be subtitled "The Ballad of Bradley Manning" although that could have changed since Manning's name has changed to Chelsea.

In fact, out of the new songs he's played in conert so far, I like Burning for the Buddha, Exit Zero, Almost Gone, and Watch Out for the Wind the best, and none of them are going on the actual album, with only one appearing as a bonus track. I hope that means he's got other new songs that are really good too. That's probably true, but I also think the CSN guys also have a long track record of not releasing their best songs while releasing some of their worst ones. Nash in particular has a history of waiting many years to release some of his best songs, sometimes for a decade or two. Hopefully that'll change since old age is creeping up on them - why keep waiting?

It's kind of interesting to me that of the four CSNY guys, Nash has generally been regarded as the weakest songwriter of the bunch, though he's had some big hits. But in my opinion, he's been rising to the top in these later years. Stills hasn't written many new songs at all in the last ten years plus. Crosby put out a new album last year, and while it had some good songs on it, it was just okay in my opinion, kind of hit or miss. Young is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, but I haven't been impressed with his songs in the last ten years or more. Whereas Nash is seventy years old but looks and acts at least twenty years younger than that, and he's writing lots of songs, including some of the best songs of his life!

If Nash is saving some of his best songs for a new CSN album, like Burning for the Buddha, Exit Zero, and Almost Gone, he's definitely holding up his end of the group. And Crosby already has two good new songs since his 2014 album (Somebody Home and What Makes It So). But I worry about Stills. He has one good new unreleased song that I know of that he's been playing in concert, Virtual World, but it seems that's probably slated for a new Rides album planned for early 2016. He seems to be devoting most of his enthusiasm and songwriting to his new band.

csnfan likes this.
  24. Spacer22

Spacer22 Forum Resident

Smxx777 and csnfan like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its on the new rides album. its already in the can

"almost gone" was the song I couldn't remember but he played it when I saw CSN. I was also at the first gig nash played "back home"

csnfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.