New graham nash (This Path Tonight) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Picked up the RSD 12 Inch today + 7 Inch. Not sure if it's exclusive to the RSD, but it does have a download code for the 10 tracks + 3 bonus.

2. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

This crap with bonus tracks is all so out of control. I guess it's better than song titles you read about and never hear. But buying multiple versions of the same album leaves a sour taste. It was slightly better in the CD single era.

Bill, Hep Alien, Hutch and 4 others like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agreed

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

i never ever understood the 'theft' of music from the internet, but i'll you this chief, if you can steal them from somewhere go ahead and do it......i would have gladly paid extra for the tracks on physical CD, but as a download....no f**kin way.

Dennis Metz and vegafleet like this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I just got the CD. At first I was bummed about not having any bonus tracks. And then I listened to the CD and I'm no longer bummed about missing any extra tracks. I'm not enjoying the sound quality of the album. The poor sound quality has affected my ability to enjoy the music. It sounds like I'm listening through a thousand veils. The sound is trying to sound good but fails and ends up sounding uninvolving. I made it half-way through "Beneath The Waves" and hit the stop button and I'm on to something else. At this point it looks like I bought a CD to listen to only 3 and a half songs on the album. At this point I'm certainly not regretting the missed bonus tracks. Maybe in a few days or a few weeks I'll come back and listen to the rest of the album. Maybe. I'm not so sure if I will. The songs seem to have potential, but the behind a thousand veils sound quality is not allowing the songs to draw me in. Right now I'm not feeling it. Sound quality is something that can make or break songs like this. Bummer.

vegafleet likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Downloads don't work on iPhone

7. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

mark ab likes this.
  8. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

He also seems less dismissive of Crosby. That's assuming this inteview was given after the ones where he said he was done with him. Sounds as if the spat might just have been the latest in a long line of CSN tantrums. They'll probably be back on the road together next year!

I really like the new album, have a feeling it'll be a grower and the bonus live concert DVD is outstanding.

9. rjp

playing the new nash album for my first period class as i type this......so far 2 kids have asked me who it was and they both went on their hand held devices to get it. :)

10. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. Compare it to how good "Croz" sounds. Getting it only for the DVD now.

Got a free copy with the bonus tracks into my iPhone via my Amazon Prime, and underwhelmed so far. "Songs for Survivors" was better and sounded great. Maybe the songs here are not bad but the arrangements and those muffled drums take me out of the moment. And I am a big GN fan.

Let me hear it a couple of times and maybe I'll change my mind. Maybe he will do a Neil and release an all acoustic version.

11. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

The impression I got from the interviews is that the songwriting is pretty much a 50-50 split with Nash providing lyrics to Fontayne who put them to music. Presumably Nash will have had some input but the chord sequences and vocal melodies may be mostly Fontayne. From Graham's comments I don't think these songs were written with the two of them working together so if the trademark Nash melodic style is missing that'll be why.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

It is missing. But still the production is what bothers me the most. I haven't gotten my hard copy yet, who is the producer and/or engineer?

mark ab likes this.
  13. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Produced by Shane Fontayne. Mixed by Fontayne and Kevin Madigan
    Recorded by Madigan. Alex Williams 2nd engineer and additional recording.
    Mastered by Bernie Grundman.

14. I actually like the sound of this new album, the way it was recorded and mixed. I am quite of tired of too many recordings which are just too bright for my liking. I am listening to the vinyl version. not sure how the CD sounds. If the CD is a bit dynamically compressed, then it can easily become overbloated in the bass department.

I really like the atmosphere on this new album, Graham Nash still has it in my opinion.

Headfone likes this.
  15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

If you have Amazon Prime with the Amazon Music App in your phone you can get a free copy with the 3 bonus tracks. It is probably 256 mp3 but free.

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Encore is so sad. That stated, what a stirring song.

RayS likes this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I turned out to be wrong. The DVD was taped in St. Louis on 7-26-15, and had a slightly different set list than Woodstock.

I watched the DVD tonight. It's a fairly bare bones production (two cameras, maybe three?) but it captures the show sufficiently. Graham is in just exceptional voice for a man of his age. My sole complaint would be the set list - loaded with great songs, but a single song ("Wasted on the Way") representing 1978-2014 (36 years!) Three new songs on the DVD (two from the proper album, plus one of the bonus songs that's not on the CD).

I wound up paying $1.29 each to get the three bonus tracks from iTunes, on top of the cost of the CD/DVD Amazon set. In the end I'm not complaining - I've already listened to the album a bunch of times and I'm happy to have it. And by all accounts there are 7 more tracks sitting in the can.

18. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

This album is kicking my butt. Amazing that Nash would put out something so compelling and interesting at this point in his career. Who would think that 30 years after Innocent Eyes we'd get something like this.

It sounds like a musical collaboration to me. I thought I heard Nash melodies, but also some things that don't sound much like him.

19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I thought songs for survivors and the new stuff on his boxset was pretty good

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Got "This Path Tonight" on Friday and it's been on constant play since. I had really low expectations, as I really haven't liked any of his solo work since "Songs For Beginners" and have found his CSN/CSNY/CN output average-at-best.

This album was a surprise.

"Another Broken Heart", "Target", "Myself At Last", "Golden Days".....honest, heartfelt, and real. And for once since 1971, a Graham Nash album not junked up with trendy musical trappings (yacht rock, synthesizers/drum machines, etc.) Just good music.

21. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Agreed - It's really good

Cracks in the City = Crow on the Cradle; But I guess every album can have a rewrite - Liar's Nighmare was, what, Masters of war?

22. rjp

the 3 bonus tracks are also very good, very good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'm listening to this on headphones and think the CD sounds fine. Excellent album:cheers:

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

25. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

I really feel sorry for Shane Fontayne as he was also playing in Crosby's band at the BBC last year and CSN of course. The big camp fallout means he's in a precarious position. So is he going to be in Crosby's band in the future or not ? He must feel really torn about the choice. Maybe Mr C calls up Jeff Pevar again ... and reform CPR (please)

vegafleet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.