New graham nash (This Path Tonight) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Graham starts his tour in the UK I believe tonight in Manchester. Will be interesting to hear what he has to say on future plans. He normally gets some airplay on BBC Radio 2 when in the country. Hope he's not going to vent about CSN again ...

2. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Graham starts his tour in the UK I believe tonight in Manchester. Will be interesting to hear what he has to say on future plans. He normally gets some airplay on BBC Radio 2 when in the country. Hope he's not going to vent or rant about CSN again ...

3. +1
    Except that I had only about 1500 albums when I got rid of them this could be me writing this.Given that a recent survey showed 47% of all new vinyl is never opened or played when all this faulty stock hits the second hand market there are going to be some upset people.
    Although I am not buying this-Reflections was my last Nash solo purchase-I have listened to some of it and agree his voice sounds very thin.

4. +1
    Except that I had only about 1500 albums when I got rid of them this could be me writing this.Given that a recent survey showed 47% of all new vinyl is never opened or played when all this faulty stock hits the second hand market there are going to be some upset people.
    Although I am not buying this-Reflections was my last Nash solo purchase-I have listened to some of it and agree his voice sounds very thin.

5. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Their policy is that if you open a NEW item and break the seal, you can't return it as new. The chain is THE EXCHANGE, they are pretty big in the midwest and Pittsburgh.

6. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Listened to the download code that came with the album the past 2-3 days, on my surround setup (in all channel mode) and this morning on my headphones. I can understand the frustration with the digital/CD version of this album. The mix used for the digital, is dry, flat and lifeless. If this was my only version of the album, I wouldn't complain and just write it off as your normal LOUD modern mix... but the vinyl of this is the complete opposite from my 4-5 plays. Very dynamic, great highs and great lows. For example, next in my playlist was a CD RIP of Neil Young's Silver and Gold after I finished This Path Tonight... it sounded like a revelation compared to the Nash release... although most, if not all of Neil Young's material is a perfectly recorded and mixed to my ears... Just my 2 cents on the album.

7. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Listened intently twice now (via Tidal) and I think this is a very intelligent, personal, intimate and beautiful album. The guitar work is very tasteful. His voice has a gentleness and sensitivity that lends the entire album that intimacy and genuine atmosphere.

I prefer the various acoustic versions of the opening track, This Path Tonight, especially the ones from RTL posted above, to the album version which for me loses the intimacy of the others.

There is a 'deluxe' version on Tidal with the 3 extra bonus tracks, but for me the album has a perfect ending with the beautifully written 'Encore'.

RayS and Heart of Gold like this.
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I agree regarding with your feelings on "This Path Tonight". He introduced it in concert almost apologizing for having to do it in a stripped down version (compared to the already recorded but not yet released full band version), but the stripped down version cuts closer to the bone, IMO.

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I think this record is pretty outstanding.

Fotunate that my vinyl is flat and quiet.

Outstanding value with my Barnes & Noble...a nice gatefold LP with a download card AND G Nash signed litho.

I loved Croz, and am surprised that I like this as much.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Very nice show by Graham last night. He did 2 sets with 23.songs, which I believe is more than typical for this tour. He did only 5 CSN tunes (and skipped both Lady of the Isle and Just A Song which I have seen on other lists) which gave him an opportunity to play about 10 new or unreleased tunes, only 3 of which were from the new album. Remarkably the audience seemed enthralled with most of the unfamiliar material.

Two man format worked great. Shane was great at adding the needed lead guitar touches and vocal harmonies to flesh out the sound. Graham is in very strong voice and it was a treat to hear how great his guitar playing is, as he normally takes a back seat on thst instrument in larger ensembles and only really gets featured on piano and harmonica.

It was nice to note that Graham mentioned Crosby at least three times in a show - all involving memories or musical moments - and did not in any way communicate the anger he has expressed towards David in recent interviews. Glad he is keeping it out of the show at least, as I am sure most of his fans love both of them, as I do.

Took my dad who did not know any of the material (other than having heard my band cover Bus Stop) but loved the show. On the way out Philly radio legend Pierre Robert approached me to share that we had both "seen Blackbird two times this week" as I was wearing a shirt from the Paul show.

wayne66, oxegen, RayS and 5 others like this.
  11. RayS

Wow - you got two of my favorites that I didn't get when I saw him last year - "Oh Camil! (The Winter Soldier)" and "Prison Song". Nice to see the "Wild Tales" album getting deserved love.

jlf and Clanceman like this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ok I confess I thought those were new or unreleased. As I do not have that album.

RayS likes this.
  13. RayS

"Wild Tales" is not quite "Songs for Beginners" but pretty awesome nonetheless. Try it for free. :)

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm no expert on Graham Nash solo but I do have Songs For Beginners and Wild Tales.

Wild Tales is almost as good as Songs For Beginners and I recommend both albums.

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Only other time I saw Graham without Croz was when the Great Peace March stopped through Philly and he sang at the rally in October 86

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I have Earth and Sky on vinyl if that counts for anything :)

Glad that one did not dominate the show.

17. RayS

I saw the show that opened the 2002 tour to support "Songs For Survivors" at the Keswick. Graham was his usual affable self but was apparently very nervous about launching a solo tour. He fainted near the end of the first set, but was back with us in about 30 seconds and pressed on.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

respectfully take umbrage with your assessment of 'earth and sky"

i find it to be an almost perfect album in every way...great songs....great musicians all over it... and great production.

for the life of me i cannot figure out why it has never been released in the u.s., much like the first crosby/nash album.

a long time ago, (probably 20 years) i actually personally asked nash why 'earth and sky' wasn't out in the u.s. and all he said was that it had "lots of issues", whatever that means.

19. RayS

Just to clarify - you mean released ON CD in the U.S., since both albums were certainly released in the U.S. on vinyl.

Another one that can be auditioned for free:

20. rjp

of course on CD, everything before 1985 has been on vinyl.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Apologies, my dis was meant for Innocent Eyes not Earth and Sky.

22. rjp

agreed, 'innocent eyes" is definitely at the bottom of nash's discography...too 80's...drum machines!

23. RayS

I came across this interesting, if disheartening, clip on YouTube.

Graham claims that "Encore" (which I thought he wrote about himself) is written about David Crosby.

mark ab and Bill like this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

mark ab and RayS like this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Harsh. Hard to know what's up. But they never comitted to til death do you part, and their only kids are their songs, so no reason to do anything they dont want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.