New Grateful Dead July 1978 box set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

May 13th is the release date. $129.98

[​IMG]

Five Complete Shows on 12 discs:

7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
    7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
    7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
    7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO

Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

Are you ready for "Betty"? If you just said it's about time, we couldn't agree more! We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost “Betty Boards,” recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Just got the email! Sweet!

3. trd

trd Forum Resident

Excellent!

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Shocked that this came so soon after the extravagant porch crusher. That said, $129 is much easier for the credit card to take so I have, yet again, dutifully ordered.

5. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Was just going to post this!

What is the opinion of these particular shows?

6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

In some ways, I prefer '78 to '77.

7. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Perfect summertime listening!

tedhead and dennis1077 like this.
  8. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

9. Jerry

Ordered up! $139.93 with shipping. That's $11.66 a disc, or $1.42 per song, for those doing the math at home.

wilejoe, Fullbug, lightbulb and 3 others like this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

These are all great shows. I count the Red Rocks 78 as some of the finest shows ever played.

ralphk, parkmebike, radiogod and 2 others like this.
  11. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

12. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Can't he do those videos somewhere where it isn't windy for once?

13. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

"Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, ..."

What's the alternative for numbering? Some copies get three numbers, while other copies get none? ;)

'78 is somewhere in the middle of the pack for me, and I have gotten kinda used to / spoiled by the upgrade appeal of multitracks. But the price per show isn't bad. Will probably look hard at the FLAC download.

Haven't watched the video yet, but in case he didn't mention it, the 7/8 show appears to be getting its own release.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Red Rocks is awesome and rugged(it's '78!) and I just placed my order.
    (have not heard the other shows and I've never really read about them either)

I333I likes this.
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

“The Wharf Rat” preview track from Red Rocks is gorgeousity.

[​IMG]

:pineapple:

Also notable is the provenance being the return of the prodigal Betty Boards....

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

apparently not. It's pretty weird.

17. Jerry

If I recall, that time frame had some killer Other Ones. There are 3 Wharf Rats in this run, offset, of course by 4 Around & Arounds.

18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Yeah because he might get distracted or ramble :)

terrapinjim, ralphk, RayS and 3 others like this.
  19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Great. I just might get me a copy.

rstamberg likes this.
  20. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of 1978 in general. I think of it as the speedball year, a mix of some members nodding out and others too jacked up to hear their fellow players. That said, the Red Rocks shows are outstanding by any measure. I'm in.

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

This is about 6 or seven months before Keith and Donna were out of the band? I dare say they were feeling no pain. End of an era for sure.

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yes, Bobby and Donna had an inappropriate amount of energy on occasion. There are some rough Round and Round and Playin's in this time frame for sure. But when they were on, it was magic.

23. Jerry

I saw the shows in the spring, fall and winter that year. Nice to be able to hear the season I missed! I bet these will sound fantastic. MORE BETTY, please!!!!!

24. Jerry

[​IMG]

"One more thing. How many Around & Arounds did he say it was? Oh, it just SEEMS like 6..."

The three-CD release of the July 8th Red Rocks show will be available at all physical and digital retailers on May 13th.

ARK, workinsteamin, Fullbug and 9 others like this.
  25. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Ordered...

Erik B. and Dennis0675 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.