New Grateful Dead July 1978 box set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Oh, I play SACD from time to time and blu-rays but that's it :nyah:

Rne likes this.
  2. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

I'm relatively late getting on the bus but I'm definitely a passenger now. The Chuck box will always be my favorite too, being the first I bought as it was released and also sharing the excitement with Chuck as the due date got closer and closer. Strangely I didn't pay much attention to 1978 until I heard Dick's #25. I'd seen it for a long time but never bothered for some reason. And that's really the one that turned me around. Also enjoyed Dave's #7, the Ramble On Rose is just so beautiful. Whoever said they were there, I'm pretty jealous. As for the box, I found all the shows to be rewarding with Omaha my favorite. The sound is off initially but as soon as it's dialed in they take off like a rocket.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Could you give us your opinion about the liner notes, so @Six Bachelors can decide whether to pull the trigger or not?

Six Bachelors likes this.
  4. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Me, me, me.

Crispy Rob, Lil' Brian and budwhite like this.
  5. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Liner notes: meh. They didn't add anything to my experience. I've already bought the box, so liner notes that are 50% sales pitch are missing the mark. The artwork is nice, but I wouldn't think that would be enough to justify buying the physical box if one already bought the digital download.

Music: I've only listened to the first 3 shows so far. Omaha is by far the stand-out show of the first 3, although I do find it hard to stay engaged after 10 minutes of Drums. Based on the increase in quality through the first 3 shows, I'm looking forward to the next two.

Six Bachelors and budwhite like this.
  6. Nor do I. I collect music, not files. :tiphat:

7. budwhite

Digital files on a compact disc or a hard drive. It's all music :targettiphat:

trumpet sounds likes this.
  8. I played all of this when the set came out last May and loved all of the shows, especially the July 3 show (one of the best Scarlet>Fire) and both of the Red Rock shows (NFA from July 7, Eyes from July 8). I haven't heard a lot of it since then, I wish I had more time to listen to things like this.

Red-5 likes this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I thought the liner notes by Merriweather were pretty good, although I think one of our members who was on that tour had some quibbles with them. I definitely prefer it when he or Steve Silberman of Blair Jackson get the nod to the notes, especially Silberman and Jackson who were attending shows for much of the band's career, and between the two of them I think Silberman's got probably the better critical perspective whereas Jackson is a bit more of a "homer", to put it in baseball TV announcer terms. I thought the packaging was terrific. I can't say what my favorite show is, I did two full passes through the box last year and came out differently both times, but can say that both times I liked 7/7/78 overall better than it's more famous sibling, which was the only show in the box I knew beforehand.

With the GD, I almost always play the actual CDs, in order to get the most out of the HDCD. I tend do more of my listening either on vinyl or digital than CD these days, but prefer to have the physical CDs. If they are just regular CDs, my outboard DAC from the computer with lossless files has better sound than my Oppo's built in DAC, so that is the best way to go. But HDCD, SACD, DVD-A, Blu-Rays, etc. go into the Oppo.

budwhite, Six Bachelors and bmoregnr like this.
  10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Will a FLAC rip of a SACD not sound as good as the actual disc?

11. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thanks for the replies about the liner notes. Sounds like it's touch and go...probably not a sensible investment right now.

As for those of you ripping the discs and never touching them again...why not just get the downloads in the first place, where available? 24 bit and 192 khz, which far exceeds the potential of the HDCD encoding. Whether or not they make the most of it is another thing but these are some damn dynamic and detailed recordings. I can't imagine that the CDs sound quite as good as the hi-rez.

12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

You might already know this @Crispy Rob but in case not and if it would help... I understand with a pc, not mac, and the right software/converter, you can decode a file rip of an hdcd so that the file will then play with those hdcd benefits on any dac.

13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yes I suppose HDCD is just trying to get to 24 bits anyway and can't quite make it. Also Norman uses a small amount of compression on the cds but not the hi res files.

Six Bachelors and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. budwhite

I can sell the box if I want. Simple as that

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Thanks, problem with that is I'm a Mac person.

16. Six Bachelors

Would you delete the rips you have made if you sold the box?

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Same with me. I've considered getting a cheapo pc for the sole purpose of banging this job out but alas always put it off out of shear laziness. The same goes for the whole boot camp thing which I'd probably f up.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  18. Complier

Complier Senior Member

They seemed spent in 78. You can hear the cocaine in the performances.

But hey, I really like 82 so what do I know? :shrug:

19. budwhite

Of course not. It's my files to do whatever I want with

mmthmj, Old Mac and wlove2372 like this.
  20. Six Bachelors

Not really, no. If you rip the contents of the box then sell the box but keep the rips, you're getting the contents of the box for free. I should think that any legal reading of the situation is that that constitutes piracy or at least stealing.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

How is he getting the contents for free? He originally bought the box set, and part of physical ownership entitles the owner to upload and rip the music files. If the owner later chooses to sell the physical product, all the benefits of his prior ownership do not necessarily transfer to the new owner.

mmthmj, Old Mac, wlove2372 and 2 others like this.
  22. Six Bachelors

How? By buying the product, making a fascimile of it and selling it, leaving him with the equivalent of the product even though he has sold it. It's like buying a book, photocopying it then selling the book.

I have been resoundly criticised on a Grateful Dead thread on this forum before when I joked that I would rip all of my Road Trips and bonus discs and sell them. People thought I was being serious but I was joking. Their point was valid though - you can't maintain your access to the intellectual property indefinitely just because you once owned the physical item on which the intellectual property was stored.

Legal-ish stuff aside, it's not exactly squeaky clean on a moral level. One could buy the entire Dead catalogue of CDs, rip them then sell them, leaving one with all of the music for nothing or even at a profit, if you happen to make some money on the sales. You're telling me that's OK?

23. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Guys - c'mon! This again? o_O

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This is a Grateful Dead thread, let's leave all those crappy arguments for some other bands, lads.

Daedalus likes this.
  25. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Besides...
    "There's nothing you can hold
    For very long"
    Stella Blue

Rne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.