Grateful Dead Live Compilation "30 Trips Around the Sun" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluej, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thank you, I appreciate that.

2. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

A seller had a mint CD box on Amazon with the vinyl 45 and everything for $750 + $4 shipping and I pulled the trigger. If had bought it earlier it would have been about the same price if tax was included. Anyway, now I've got some splaining to do to my wife. Plenty of more boxes on Amazon from $1200-$2500.

superstar19 likes this.
  3. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Feeling a little lost and directionless right now. After 4 1/2 months of steady listening, I finished the last show yesterday. Not sure what my purpose is right now. Maybe I'll feel differently after I crack open the last two Dave's Picks, which I neglected in favor of the porch-buster.

bzfgt, GuidedByJonO))) and bmoregnr like this.
  4. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I'd be happy to help you w/ directions- to my house in central VA if you wanna bring those trips by here for a visit... ;)

5. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Ha! I drive through your town frequently. Got family in Richmond and at UVa. And a fraternity brother who is an Albermarle cop. Smallish world.

6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Reminds me of the cop in The Big Lebowski when asked if there are any leads on who stole his car. "They've got us working in shifts!"

notesofachord and therockman like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

What about some "un-grateful" listening? (Is my suggestion too heretic?)

8. JimW

Indeed. I might even know your frat bro- not that I have lots of legal trouble, just know some of them through my work as both a teacher and a counselor. You have family that attends or works at UVA? I got two degrees from there ('90 & '92)- might know them too. It's a smallish town.

There's a really great Dead cover band here (my fave local band): Mama Tried (3 members from Alligator, if you ever heard of them). If you're ever gonna be here on a weekend, you can check out c-ville.com's event calendar to see if they're playing. If you ever show up, chances are high you see me there (or is that- chances are you'll see me there high...).

9. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I've been doing a fair amount of that, too. Side tracked to Bowie in January, then some Eagles. Etc, etc

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Bet you know Steve Wilkins, then. And I teach, too. World keeps getting smaller.

11. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I'm sure that's a line Jerry probably uses when anyone brings up previous concerts.

12. JimW

That name sounds familiar, but I can't picture him. Was he a school resource officer? Which school? I taught mainly in Alb. co. I am an emotionally disturbed teacher! (Probably literally true too, but I'm SPED, ED and LD). It does keep getting smaller- I like it when that happens! And I'm enjoying chatting, but if you wanna continue, may I suggest sending me a PM so we don't derail this thread anymore? I woulda started a conversation w/ this reply, but I wanted to get my "joke" out there for everyone... :rolleyes:

marmalade166 likes this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Oh, that's why it took you more than four months. I've been listening to the second set from the 1977 show today. Glorious!

FredCamp likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I usually do 1-2 dead releases a week and the rest other bands

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Finally diving into this box set, began on Monday with 1995, going backwards. Today was 1986, Cal Expo Amp, Sacramento, CA. My main observation so far -- I miss Donna. :D

budwhite likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

first time ever said by a dead head ;)

17. tomstockman

tomstockman Well-Known Member

Just read a handful of random pages in this thread, but... did anyone here stick with the 4-disc like me? :winkgrin:

ARK and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  18. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I did. I enjoyed it for the most part but found the last disc pretty tough to sit through. I also thought the track selection could've been better chosen too.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

i have the 4 cd set and love it. also was able to pick up the 1966 and 1988 shows for cheap. i keep on the look out for other cheap shows in my favorite era but they seem to be getting harder to come by now.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  20. :wtf:

:faint:

21. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

Listening to 1985 trip tonight. The recording of the vocals and the cheap vocal effects almost kills it for me. Also hate these 80's shows Phil wise. Just can't hear him prominently because of the recording. Other than that I like the show and the song selection.

Jason Tenney likes this.
  22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have not gotten thru this box yet. I am not in a hurry-if I find a show that hits me I repeat it. If I find one that strikes me as a dud I wait awhile and go back to listen again. I have enjoyed the 90's shows a lot more than I expected I would and I still don't think the 76 pick was the right one-I love 76 but this one doesn't push enough of those buttons so far.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That 1976 show is a huge disappointment. A misrepresentation of the year, unfortunately.

Crispy Rob and Daedalus like this.
  24. Funny I was thinking of you when I replied - post 2669.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'll never forget all the moral support I received here while my box set was lost in the bureaucratic limbo of Dead/Rhino :D

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.