Grateful Dead Live Compilation "30 Trips Around the Sun" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluej, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Ok, my turn now... I haven't had any issues with ripping more than 2/3rds of the shows, but my 1980 (11/28 Lakeland, FL) Disc 3 came out of the package cracked, nearly in two and will not read-back at all. If there is a kind soul out there that would help me acquire the lossless FLAC files of this disc I would be appreciative. Please PM me if you can help.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Me too. I like all of their eras. There is something to enjoy from a good show in any year of their career. It'll take me forever to get through them all though.

bzfgt, trd and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

In addition to getting FLAC help, if you email Dr Rhino and explain that it’s a new purchase it’s possible they still have some replacement discs. They’re very good about that when they do.

markmck79 likes this.
  4. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Thanks. I looked into that. My understanding is this sale on Amazon is basically Rhino/Warner clearing out a lot of their replacement inventory for issues just like this and they will no longer have inventory to replace defects for these titles.

I highly suggest that anyone who purchases these sets on Amazon inspects all the discs. I ultimately had 2 defective discs out of 80. (And thanks to the forum members who offered help.)

5. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Very cool indeed. Thanks for the quirky link. I followed all instructions and it worked

zakyfarms likes this.
  6. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Yes, I've bought a few on eBay and had issues with more than one set. Makes me think something different was in the mix for making the 30 Trips set (and was annoying having paid eBay prices). Sometimes I let EAC crawl and it could fight its way through, other times I had a successful rip using iTunes extracting as lossless, and once or twice I benefited from the kindness of others in getting clean files. I'm not positive I got everything totally clean, but much better than it was.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  7. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

US Blues likes this.
  8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It’s there if you click the link. Sold by WarnerMarket, so it looks like it’s straight from the label.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. citizensmurf

It's actually now available straight from dead.net as an "All Music Edition".

Wright likes this.
  11. citizensmurf

I bought from that link, but they arrived with a box cutter slash down the middle of some of the sleeves. Not sure if all the stock has that defect. Doesn't affect the music any.

12. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Yep. Mine too. And my friends.

PJayBe likes this.
  13. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Mine arrived safely. Can always try it and return if not satisfied.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The CDs are only a product, but the thing about the friends is disturbing...

15. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Now that’s some funny sh#$&

PJayBe, bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. citizensmurf

Not worth it. I panicked and bought from Amazon.com, thinking it was about to sell out. They wouldn't ship to Canada, so I had it sent to my brother's in WA, and then he mailed to me, so I paid for shipping twice. Now dead.net has it for $50 less and only $10 shipping.

Where's that Picard facepalm meme when you need it?

footlooseman, Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  17. citizensmurf

Slowly working my way through the years. Up to 74 now. There are some really great shows in this box so far, and some epic moments. The 74 show has such amazing sound, best I've heard on a GD show that I can recall. If it weren't for the vocal drop out of a couple songs at the start of the 2nd set, this would be a perfect show. Other notable ones, 69, 67, 72, 73. Looking forward to the rest, and really hoping for some decent 80s-90s stuff, but not holding my breath.

Crispy Rob, mmthmj, RiRiIII and 6 others like this.
  18. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I was pleasantly surprised by the 80-90s shows in this set. Hopefully you will be too.

Crispy Rob, mmthmj, RiRiIII and 4 others like this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

This is not a comment directed at you, KDubATX--your post just occasioned it. But, I think nobody has to like every era of every band they like. However, what annoys me is that people who don't like 80s Dead often like to act like they know something the rest of us don't, whereas obviously it's the other way around...

Mad Dog, KeninDC, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The shows from '83, '84 and '87 definitely rate highly. The '90 Zenith show has some real high points also. I've heard some very good things about at least a couple of the others from the '90s. I've listened to bits and pieces of those.

21. citizensmurf

I have very limited exposure to 80s Dead. So far DaP 20 (loved), DaP 27 (hated) and a couple 89 shows (okay, but not great). I'm definately in the "72-77 is best" category of fans, with some exceptions.

Archtop and bzfgt like this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I remember feeling pleasantly surprised by the 1983 show. I was expecting it to be almost a waste of time. I was way wrong.

23. Archtop

I was front row for that one, baby.

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Nice! The recording sounds well, but the mix is somewhat clumsy, particularly when listening on headphones (I recall a bass drum track panned all the way to the left). I love the Drums>Space segment.

Six Bachelors and Archtop like this.
  25. Archtop

Your comment prompted me to dredge the porch-sagger out of mothballs and give '83 a listen. The two drummers appear to be hard-panned left and right with only the faintest of drumming more toward center. It is a bit odd (I use 'phones almost exclusively). But listening to TMNS, it's reminding me of what the sound was like from the front row. I know I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. The sound was unlike any concert I'd seen so far (Black and Blue, Rush a few times, etc.) including my first 3-4 GD shows. We were far enough removed from and almost closer to the stage than the PA, so all we got was stage sound. It was like having them playing in your living room. Not really all that loud, but crystal clear and still powerful. The other thing I noticed for the first time was that watching Phil's hands and listening to what he's playing is an exercise in futility. I recall being completely flummoxed by this. What his hands were doing had zero association with what was coming out of his rig.

By the way, this TMNS has a nice, extended "floaty" section from 3:46-6:21 (2:35 is a long time to float).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.