Grateful Dead Live Compilation "30 Trips Around the Sun" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluej, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

• There's a tax for buying imported products: 35%
    • The customs fee: 50%
    • And then, some DHL extras I will never understand.
    ¡Dios mío!, indeed. I hope the upcoming government wipes out that outrageous 35% fee just for buying something abroad. Luckily, when I started my Dead collection ten years ago, things were not that way at all. Otherwise, I think I would have given up.

2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

You should really consider making several big purchases sent to a friend in the US. Anther few customs fees and you could pay for a flight and a vacation!

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, it's like buying every release twice and receiving only one copy.

4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Seriously. This. I'm sure there are plenty of trustworthy folks on this thread who would be willing to serve as proxy for you. If you can line up a few different people you can get around the import limits you mentioned previously, perhaps?

Imagine70 likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm also sure that there are trustworthy lads in here willing to give a hand. The troubles lies on the fact that even when something is send to you from abroad as a gift, you have to pax taxes and fill in forms as if you were importing a product. And the bigger the box, the most suspiciously they look at you, as you were some kind of terrorist or drug dealer. Of course, it depends on the mood of the customs inspector that day. Sometimes they ask lots of questions, sometimes they don't give a hoot 'bout anything, but either way, they make sure you end paying.

6. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

I've kinda held my tongue on this, but I think we all get the point. There's no need to keep hammering dead.net anymore. Most of your troubles seems to lie in the fact that you live in Argentina. Tom's problems probably lay in the fact he lives in Hawaii. Considering your location, and the obvious issues with mail delivery in Argentina that you yourself have pointed out, the delay isn't exactly surprising.:shrug:

Dead.net have done an unbelievable job getting GD music to us in large quantities. They do a hell of a job. I'm sure there shipping issues aren't a wide spread issue, but any rollout is going to have problems. you can't have 6500 perfect situations occur. It's just not statistically possible. Now factor in international/overseas shipping issues that dead.net has no control over and you're going to have a few problems.

I can commiserate with your situation, but I feel like I've heard enough, especially the bashfest. :hide:

Digu, Ellsworth, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Nope. They took those orders, international, non-contiguous US, etc. There is another box (LandHorses, I think) which is lost in the continental US. That's inexcusable. I find it hard to believe that their only problems are with members of this forum. If 3 out of the (?200, less) boxes sent to this group have had problems, there must be many more over the thousands of orders.
    International shipping isn't complicated. The Argentina box delivery complaint is all related to outgoing shipping. He knew that customs/taxes would be expensive. It still should have shipped on time, with appropriate tracking.

8. xTraPlaylists

It's a statistical reality. Nothing is perfect. Nothing.

Erik B. and Quincy like this.
  9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

A great bumper sticker.

J Vanarsdale likes this.
  10. Imagine70

Imagine70 Forum Resident

Agree entirely. Dead.net are not above criticism - they need to sort this out.

11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I agree to a certain extent, but as Posnera points out they didn't even put the thing in the mail until a month after everyone else. International logistics are what they are, and RNE seems to be glaringly aware of that. Still, the delay was on the shipper's end so complaints are warranted in this situation, IMO. LandHorses should be irate at everyone involved, not just the folks at Dead/Rhino. That's the type of thing that led to the phrase "going postal."

12. thaddeus

thaddeus New Member

New member to the forum-first post. Box/scroll 0428/6500, red velvet, everything just fine with box, discs, sleeves, etc. Ticket 10.27.91 (was there), backstage pass Giants Stadium '93.

I appreciate the useful posts in the thread that pertain to the music & the content of the box, don't appreciate the myriad of posts from a couple of users (particularly one complainer it's obvious who that is) spamming the thread with shipping status of their box and subsequent outrage.

1967, 1968, 1969, 1975, 1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985 are my favorite shows. 1979, 1987, 1989, 1991 I've heard a zillion times previously, so whatever. They're great but stale to me. 1976 and 1993 are terrible shows.

therockman likes this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I don't want to start an argument, but I never blamed the Dead staff for the troubles that I experience in my country or the extra charges of DHL. I've been buying from them (and many different sites -Amazon, Jerry Garcia, Zappa, Merge Records, Ebay-) for many years and never experienced such a mess. Some people who live in the very USA are still waiting for their boxes, not to mention the complete disaster of the USB version, delayed who knows why. I love the way the releases are put together regarding sound (there are very few exceptions of releases I consider could have sounded much better), and I never had serious issues with packaging (the cardboard sleeves are uncomfortable sometimes, but it's a minor detail). Dead Records shows real love for the band's legacy, but this time they screwed it big time, and will keep on saying this until every member of this forum who paid for the box or the USB two months ago gets what they deserve (both products, somewhat overpriced, but, hey, no one pointed a gun at our heads). That's all.
    Meanwhile, I hope I get my porch crusher tomorrow, I'm eager to enjoy that fully perspective of the band's live career.

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

For me as with most GD releases the 67-74 shows are the ones I think I'll revisit the most.

If we really need to narrow it down 1967, 68, 70, 71, 72, 73.

15. xTraPlaylists

I sincerely hope it arrives tomorrow also. :righton:

Rne likes this.
  16. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Can someone check a disc for me...on the Manor Downs 82 show on the song Uncle John's Band I have some tape distortion or waver at about 3:27 to 3:37. Anyone else hear that or is it just on my disc. Thanks.

17. xTraPlaylists

:idea:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    ruben lopez likes this.
  18. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

My top 5 are, in chronological order except 1970 IS #1: 1970, 1969, 1974, 1987, 1989. These are all worth locating on the secondary market if you can swing it. The first 2 are absolutely don't miss.
    Next five are 1967, 1968, 1979, 1982, 1984. Bottom 5, from bottom up: 1993, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1976. Biggest surprise: 1995. Biggest disappointment: 1973. :hide: It's too "chill" for me. Not that it sucks, but give me spring 73 any time over fall.

Top 3 discs: 1) 1970, disc 2. The transition from Cryptical to Dire Wolf. Un-freaking-believable! 2) 1979, disc 2. Dancin'>Franklin's Tower. Jerry just powers the Dancin'. As funky as they ever got. 3) 1969, disc 1. Dupree's>MOTM>Dark Star>Cryptical/Other One>Death Don't Have No Mercy.

Crispy Rob, bmoregnr, xj32 and 2 others like this.
  19. madpanic

madpanic Forum Resident

Yes, it is there on mine as well. Sounds like the bass drops out and then becomes a rattle, the tape warbles, then finally it all comes back together.

20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Ok. So it sounds like a master tape type issue that made it to all the discs. Thank you so much for checking and confirming.

madpanic likes this.
  21. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

As this discussion approaches its 90th page, we've covered a lot of topics, and I suspect we will continue to do so. Sharing in the plight of a fellow forum member, and that member keeping us updated on the progress of his order, hardly qualifies as spam. We all shelled out mega-bucks for this set, so customer satisfaction is bound to come up in the discussion of this set as a group experience.

22. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

:confused:

23. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Amen, brother. Hell, I was pissed at the delay, and then annoyed that I had to wait a few days longer than the east coast for mine to arrive. I can only imagine how I'd feel if I was still waiting. So please lighten up, mr. thaddeus.

It's too laid back for my tastes in Grateful Dead, plus 2 full discs of short tunes is more than I need, especially with all the other 1973 shows I have. But I will listen again in the future, to disc 3 probably sooner than the rest.

Archtop, Rne and FredCamp like this.
  24. guitarcharlie

guitarcharlie Member

OK finally waded through these shows and I am sorry but most of the second half was a slog for me. I was hoping maybe these shows could help convert me to appreciating late dead, but alas twas not to be. I still like most of the later Garcia-Hunter songs, but Weir just gets worse and worse the later the shows and Brent's songs are just as awful as I remember. As far as the post Brent stuff...ugg. OK, I love Jerry so I have ripped all his tunes on the later shows but the others are gone and will never be missed by me. Summary: 1965-1978 is solid....1979-1995 starts out OK and has several Jerry high points throughout, but overall just makes the earlier stuff seem even better.

Archtop, Imagine70 and budwhite like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I agree with you. Excellent musician, but I don't like his songs at all. Sometimes they sound so... un-grateful dead!

budwhite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.