New Hendrix cd "People Hell and Angels" coming in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big pete, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I picked up South Saturn Delta at walmart the other day for $5. It got me yearning to hear Crash Landing, and that can't be a good thing. At least those songs seemed halfway finished. I liked Valleys Of Neptune more, but the single was the best part of that deal. All of these scraps still have that spark, the Hendrix magic. Jimi must be rolling and tumbling the last 40 or so years.

2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

+1 that EH could enhance sales by having a second outlet so that postage costs were not the same as or greater than the disc shipped.

3. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I'll betcha Experience Hendrix and Sony just love all the attention they get on this forum.

4. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

:eek:

5. Any singles/b-sides being released for this disk?

6. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yeah, "Jimi's Bathroom Break" aka "Turd Polishing Jam" (censored and uncensored version). Sorry...

7. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Ezy Ryder/MLK Captain Coconut) was released as one track on the Dagger CD "Burning Desire".
    (splitted now? :confused:)

The VON "bonus" tracks were also already released Dagger stuff.

8. slane

slane Forum Resident

So with the release of 'Crash Landing' (the song) on this new CD, all of the contents of the 'Crash Landing' LP are now available in undubbed form, correct? (except maybe the first part of 'Captain Coconut? MLK is part 2, New Rising Sun is part 3 IIRC).

9. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Yes ... best explained here: http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/studio70s.htm
    'Somewhere", "Come Down Hard", "Stone Free" - MCA box,
    "Power Of Soul"
    - "South Saturn Delta"
    "Message To Love" - appeared in the 90s on the now deleted Alan Dougles compilation "Voodoo Soup" and then remixed on the MCA box set."Peace in Mississippi" - appeared also on the deleted "Voodoo Soup" and a new (and better) mix appeared on a CD single with "Valleys Of Neptune".
    "Captain Coconut"- original parts of this collage on "
    Voodoo Soup" ("as New Rising Sun") and on "Burning Desire" ("as MLK"). "New Rising Sun" re-surfaced in 2010 in a slightly longer form on "West Coast Seattle Boy" box set.

turnersmemo likes this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nothing ridiculous about that track. One of Hendrix's most compelling lyrics and vocals as far as I am concerned. Douglas was one of a kind.

turnersmemo likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

That is the sort of thing that drives me nuts. I actually understand EH's and Sony's reasoning for certain creative edits for mainstream releases - not that I always agree with it, but I get it. But I don't get why they waste time hunting down outtakes on youtube that mostly appeal to hardcore fans. It isn't like the full version of Gypsy Boy on youtube is causing consumer confusion with the masses.

12. PacificOceanBlue

I remember actually liking the liner notes, but also being extremely frustrated that many of the songs mentioned were omitted from the tracklisting. And yes, aside from the Dylan project, Douglas was on record as saying the live Hendrix collection was going to be forthcoming (and if IRCC, it was still supposed to come out as part of the settlement with EH, but somehow it got pulled). Douglas was raving about Machine Gun from Berkeley (which ultimately was released by EH).

It is somewhat frightening that Douglas was keeping so much great archival material from being in print because he personally didn't like the tracks, or that the material was dated, or that he felt a younger generation of fans had no interest. Who knows what other misguided and scary logic he would have applied to his release strategy had he continued being the steward of the catalogue.

13. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Even if Jimi toyed with the idea of the title "People Hell and Angeles". I still don't think it is a great title. The first three LPs had great titles. As much as I love Jimi, not every idea of his was great. I guess it like "if we give the new release of Jim's a titled he toyed with, it will give the new release more legitimacy".

The poor guy was in the flame of fame for four years. He did much more than most in those years. Great works. Now we have the left behind, rejected, unfinished, audio sketches and live recordings.

Various hands have tried to give us their take on how "Jimi" would have wanted them released.

I sort of think had he lived Jimi would have been like Dylan, with a large body of great unrealized music in the can. Imagine trying to give your offical release on Bob's Blood On The Tracks, infidels, Saved etc, if Bob hadn't survived to complete them.

14. PacificOceanBlue

The best version officially released is Villanova Junction Blues on the Dagger Burning Desire collection.

15. Doctor Flang

Alan Douglas had already released that version of Machine Gun on Johnny B. Goode mini-LP. Now that was a weird release, edited versions of Voodoo Chile and All Along the Watchtower from Atlanta '70 with Johnny B. Goode and Machine Gun from Berkeley. The accompanied VHS video was even worse: ballet dancers performing on Voodoo Chile. Then of course, there was a bizarre live compilation called Band of Gypsys 2. What the heck was that guy thinking?

16. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

OK, but it should be on a main stream release, perhaps it is EH's next one ??

17. Maidenpriest

Yes that VHS was really bad IMO, but I always loved the cassette, happy days playing it in my Walkman :)

18. Maidenpriest

It was the start of releasing no 'new' worthwhile and messing about with what Jimi recorded with pointless silly on these compilations, there is some great stuff on 'West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology' but it is just spoiled by stupid editing, like not having the full 'Calling All the Devil's Children' and editing the best and most exciting part, ie the drugs bust or the political message on the other version, i can't recall which version is used on this WCSB boxset. Its messing with what Jimi originally wanted etc :(

19. Maidenpriest

Not the stupid pointless Frankenstein edit with out a guitar solo do you actually like it ?:( a Hendrix single without a guitar solo:laugh: , this would have been fine if we actually got the full version on the album like in the old days, so you had one for radio and one for 'the fans' but EH don't care about that because it is all about the $$$ IMO Have you heard the original, it contains wonderful flamenco style playing from the Master ?

Full version:

20. Doctor Flang

So you really like it? In my opinion it's one of the worst Hendrix compilation ever. Each to his own, i guess.

21. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Perhaps, but that's a moot issue now and has been for the last 17+ years during which EH has had complete control of the archives. What's worrisome now is when (if ever) the complete, unedited RAH material will be officially released. That seems like a pipe dream at this point.

22. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

I just got the new single from iTunes.
    That new version of "Somewhere" is pretty amazing.
    Edited together/pro tools or not: this guitar intro is driving me nuts ... much better than the versions on the Purple Box/Crash Landing :righton:

turnersmemo likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

That entire performance is so much more superior than they frankenstein hybrid released by EH. The vocal sounds so out-of-place on the EH compilation.

24. PacificOceanBlue

I'm not worried about it. The RAH material will be officially released at some point. That said, I'm sure none of us will be happy with the finished product.

25. Doctor Flang

I still don't get that. Live at Berkeley was released in 2003, and that was a great release.

turnersmemo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.