New Hi-def Disc Format-Bluray Disc

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by spotlightkid, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

I read this in my industry magazine-9 manufactures have lined up to introduce a new disc format-Bluray Disc-not Hi-def DVD.it seems that hollywood studios are throwing another monkey wrench into the world of home video.instead of comimg out with hi-def dvd they have started a new format that can record,rewrite and play up to 27GB on a single-layer sided disc.this to me is simply foolish on their part-yes you will be able to record hi-def-but it's not in the dvd format.from what i have heard major studios don't want hi-def dvd to be in the homes for at least 10 more years-i think that is way too long.

2. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

It is one of several HDTV DVD proposals. Heavy alternatives use improved MPEG2 standards and low bit rate MPEG4 standards. MicroSoft even as a proposed code out there for consideraton. Problem with blue laser, it is very costly whereas improved current codes will only add about $20 to the manufacturing cost. Blue laser will slow down competition from China. (Oh, you thought this was technology driven, ha.).:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.