New High Fidelity series trailer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ACAB, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACAB

ACAB Forum Resident Thread Starter

This looks awesome. Am sure many of you will appreciate this too.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is a good example of a show I would never watch on the surface, but now that I've seen the trailer, I'm intrigued. I wonder if it's supposed to take place in the 1980s or what?

3. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Nah, not doing it for me :(

I did like the film, however! Which reminds me, must add the movie to my get-it-on-blu-ray list.....

rnranimal likes this.
  4. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I received an email from Hulu announcing this and that they were giving away a record player and vinyl copy of the soundtrack to random Hulu subscribers. I replied and got an email stating I was selected to get the items. I will pick them up at Amoeba in Hollywood next Friday. Apparently Hulu will be doing a big promotion at several record stores across the country to promote the series and raise money for music education in schools. 50% of the sales during the promotion supposedly will be going to the music education in schools program. It is a good excuse for me to make the drive to Amoeba since I have never been there as well as support a worth cause as I will make some purchases while there.

Zeki, Ghostworld, DigMyGroove and 2 others like this.
  5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

My, they sure got a perfect match for John Cusack! I can hardly tell the difference.

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I dont know. Loved the book. Movie was so so.

looks like this was based on the movie.

jhm likes this.
  7. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Despite the fact that Zoe Kravitz is one of the most attractive people on the planet, I don't think I can bring myself to watch this.

8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Worthy cause or not, if it doesn't have Jack Black insulting the record store customers for their taste in music, I'ld rather watch the DVD I have of the original movie.

I wish they showed in the trailer and hopefully in the Hulu series similar comedic altercations and disagreements in musical tastes. That's what made the movie so engaging for me. I discovered Stereo Lab mentioned in a brief scene by a hipster girl in the record store and sought out the band just on the name because I couldn't hear the music played in the background. Boy I lucked out finding that.

Besides I really wasn't interested in Cusak's character's relationship problems in the movie. It's called High Fidelity for a reason. It's the perfect SHF movie for those with a variety of specific musical tastes.

I can't stream anyway, well to be honest I don't want to mainly to avoid another complicated media package pay and delivery system I don't know a thing about.

9. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

10. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Looks decent enough to me. Unfortunately we Canucks won't be able to get it.

carrick doone likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I think I'll check it out.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You can see this getting sidetracked before it even gets to the Writer's Room...

"Okay, so it's a girl who owns the record shop..." "Umm, yeahhh, does she have to spend all that time in the record shop...?" "We don't have to make it about music, we can just license some clips..." "We're really talking about relationships, right...?"
    "And, we can debut it on Valentines Day, to appeal to the young girl demographic who don't have dates that night..." "-and you know, they don't care about record shops, just so she has a cool job, y'know...? "Yeah, yeah..."

13. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

London > Chicago > Brooklyn

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"HULU...when Lifetime just doesn't offer enough estrogen..."

Scott222C and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I’ve been trying to watch the original movie for over a year. Doesn’t seem to be available on anything like Netflix or whatever. I can buy the Blu-ray or download from iTunes so I might go that route.

16. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

If you remember how it was being in a mom & pop hipster record store, I can assure you, you wont' be disappointed. I saw it at the theater and later bought the DVD. It's a movie that keeps on giving after several viewings a year or two apart.

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

That reminds me, her mother was in the original movie.

Szeppelin75 and willy like this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I heard an interview with the show runner on NPR, sounded interesting. I like Ms Kravitz' work elsewhere. I don't do Hulu, but may check it out if it surfaces on disc.

19. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

BluesOvertookMe and vince like this.
  20. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'll give it a try.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I will probably give it a try, but the idea of moving from a man to a woman as the central character just to appease the diversity gods repels me in this case. Let's face it: 95% of all music nerds are guys, and 95% of music nerds in music stores are guys.

And, apparently, the focus here is nerd stats as applied to hip hop and pop music from the past years. I get why you aren't going to have the alt-rock focus on the '90s. But I just can't be bothered by trivia discussions of what was the best era for Usher. Yes, I have some kids to yell at who are on my lawn to attend to.

tspit74, Bungo, Szeppelin75 and 8 others like this.
  22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Zoe Kravitz is gorgeous, and a pretty good actor to boot. Watching first episode now, and it's not bad. Don't know if I'll get through the whole series, but it's not as horrible as some of these shows aimed at that age group tend to be.

23. rockin_since_58

Just got back from the Hulu promotion at Amoeba Hollywood. The free record player was a Crosley/Victrola portable suitcase which is a forum favorite for bashing :eek: I won't use it and hopefully can find someone that will. Probably won't even open the High Fidelity soundtrack LP as it is not my taste in music. Also didn't really care for the Amoeba experience either...to hipster/trendy but I did pickup 7 used Zappa CD's so wasn't a total waste.

poe_man, Dok and Ghostworld like this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'd recommend that if the High Fidelity soundtrack isn't your thing, you should play it a few times on the Crosley. Then you won't have to worry about getting rid of something of value. The Crosley will take care of that.

25. rockin_since_58

Good idea, might be fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.