New horror movie "It Follows"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's holding up well on RT: 94%.

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Lot of Twitter chat on this movie. I'll be watching it.

3. Monosterio

This weekend. :goodie:

4. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I thought it was excellent. Normally, I'd avoid films like this, but it was getting such unanimous praise, I decided to go and I was not disappointed. It's very much a sort of old school horror film, relying on creating a sinister mood. There are no cynical scares, although there are two brilliantly executed moments that went down a storm in the screening I saw. What it does is create a mood of unease and as such, succeeds brilliantly. It owes a massive debt to the original (1978) Halloween (some early scenes of leafy suburbia are almost like a direct homage), and - occasionally - to The Shining, especially in two school sequences. Maika Monroe is solid in the lead too. After The Guest last year, she's now had two gems in a row.

5. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I see a lot of horror movies. Definitely some major hype. Hope it lives up to it but I've been so disappointed before.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Oddly, or not, the TV commercials are not impressive at all.

7. Sammy Waslow

The trailers and TV spots don't do it justice in my opinion. I saw trailers for it and was completely indifferent - dismissing it as another generic "teenagers in peril" conveyor belt horror - and it was only when the reviews started heaping praise upon it that I decided to go and discovered it was a more "intelligent" approach than the trailers/TV spots implied.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'll check it out when it's available On Demand, or maybe buy the Blu-ray.

9. Outlaw Country

Outlaw Country Member

The trailers make this to be one of the creepiest films that I can remember in recent years.

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

10. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Saw this with my wife because I do like "horror' movies but only when they're really good and this was getting so much praise. We had fun watching it, found it more amusing than scary. It felt like a decently crafted homage/satire of 70s/80s slasher flicks.

Spot-on observation above with the John Carpenter soundtrack, it was the first thing I noticed.

11. Monosterio

At first it was maybe the scariest movie ever, and now in that last post it's practically a comedy. WTF? :D

Hawklord likes this.
  12. Sammy Waslow

I'm guessing what Mike B might mean is that , as films like these go, it's a riot. While I suspect it would be even creepier in a sparsely-populated screen, I think it's probably best seen in a full cinema, and then the "jumpy bits" are actually kind of hilarious. There are two moments in particular (for people who have seen it already) -
    first, the ball hitting the window when Jay is examining herself in the bathroom, and second, when the tall man appears in the bedroom doorway
    - and on both these occasions at the screening I was at, there was a massive jump/shriek from the audience, followed by general nervous laughter/relief. As such, it works very well as a communal - and, yes, fun - experience.

Monosterio likes this.
  13. Monosterio

Hopefully there's a decent-size crowd this Sunday afternoon. It's not playing at all that many South Florida theaters, as far as I can tell, so each one should be nice and full.

14. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Yeah that's a pretty fair assessment. Especially your 2nd moment, that was really well done.
    But also, my wife totally reacted like it was a straight-up comedy.

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  15. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Finally saw it last night. Still digesting it, but holy cow that was a mesmerizing, nerve-racking experience. Definitely pushed all of the right buttons for me. Someone on another forum remarked that It Follows feels like John Carpenter's Halloween meets Sofia Coppola's The Virgin Suicides, which is pretty spot-on.

While on a walk after seeing It Follows, I saw a woman walking like the thing from the movie -- walking the wrong way through an Arby's drive-thru, coming towards me from across the parking lot. Was she looking right at me? I felt a twinge of mild panic. I laughed at how silly I was being (how long has it been since a horror film got under my skin so much that it changed my perception of the world I live in, even briefly?), but then I immediately turned and walked the other way. Fast.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

You should probably have her checked. :D

17. Monosterio

Just got out from seeing it. It's good, but the scary and nerve-racking aspect is being way overblown. The director has a good eye and the music is cool, the movie has some effective moments, and I agree that it feels like Halloween meets Virgin Suicides. But overall it was a little disappointing after the early buzz.

18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The movie is more creepy and eerie than "scary", which is how I've described it to my interested friends. I've also made a point of telling people to expect art house instead of straight horror.

We've gotten so desensitized by over the top excess and jump scares in modern horror that I believe some people will have a hard time appreciating the more subtle and 70s influenced vibe that It Follows employs.

Plinko and Mark Nelson like this.
  19. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Is it streaming?

20. progrocker71

No video on demand release yet. The studio decided to expand the theatrical release instead. They will be increasing to more theaters next weekend. Already on the way to being the most profitable release by Radius.

21. Monosterio

If you want proof that it's an art-house movie, there's a character who goes around quoting Dostoyevsky. :D

22. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Yes, agree with the comparison. I enjoyed the movie, but the soundtrack was a bit overblown in the synth department. Not all the decisions the kids made were smart, par the course for the genre. But it had a nice retro feel, and the way it was shot keeps you on your toes - wait, that person... are they or... And sometimes nothing happens, and it's refreshing.

I questioned Maika Monroe's acting in her opening scenes but I think something else, maybe the video - look of those scenes, threw me off (my perception of acting and audio based on visual presentation is a discussion for another time). But as the movie went on, I thought she was excellent. The relationship with her sister rang true. The parents in the film were in the Charlie Brown category of on the periphery. This movie really trims the fat and just gets to story and the important relationships.

One other observation - for a film where sex is so important, nudity never tied in to the sex. Instead, it's part of the horror. A great topic would be a compare / contrast between this and the classic slashers and their gratuitous scenes compared to the non-erotic presentation in this film.

A classic? I don't know about that, but it's good and I'm still thinking about it 24 hours later. I love the success story behind the film - win one for the true indie.

Mark

Mr. H, SBurke and Mark Nelson like this.
  23. progrocker71

Maika Monroe was also excellent in The Guest (2014). I think she's one to watch.

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Maika is definitely very pretty and carried the movie.

Didn't realize till watching it was all filmed in/around Detroit area. I've been to the Redford many times seeing movies.

I thought it was well done. Music really stood out.

CBC likes this.
  25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That trailer looks terrific to me. Some seemingly banal elements but I suspect that's the point. The daytime scenes and props and lighting look like they come from early color William Eggleston. I really like that look. The star's hairstyle looks slightly out of phase though.

I see this is rated R. I can still enjoy a good scare but don't have much of a stomach for blood and guts. For those who have seen it, where would you put this on the gross-out scale?

No spoilers please. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.