New horror movie "It Follows"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

There's almost no gore at all. There is one scene I'd maybe give a 3 out of 10 on the "gross-out scale", but there is much more violent material on TV shows like The Walking Dead or Hannibal than you'll see here.

SBurke likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree. Based on the violence alone, the movie would be rated PG-13.

SBurke likes this.
  3. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Thought it was really good. I'm a horror fan, but hate what it's become, where gore/jump-scares/bad editing/camerawork have become the norm.

This is a well-made, calm, creepy tale with a simple concept that just works. Thought it was interesting that if you basically removed one or two electronic
    devices used in the film, you'd believe it took place in the 70s or 80s. Would love to see this in a big, mostly-empty theater.

Mr. H and SBurke like this.
  4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Thanks guys, I appreciate the assessments. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

:cheers:

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Screaming surely?! :)

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I think the girls book reader was about the only new tech in the movie.

The cars and tv's were all old.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  7. nightfall

nightfall Senior Member

Sheesh, what a stupid lame movie, a real big letdown. I went to see this really wanting to like it....I love subtle, slow burner movies, provided the story is somewhat intelligent and the director tries to offer something at lease a little original. Nope....not here. Stupid premise, only mildly scary...if that, not one original thought in the story. The director does like to focus on the legs of his hot nubile teens though. Maybe that's his original thought.

Scotian and Scott Wheeler like this.
  8. Monosterio

As I said before, it's nowhere near as scary and nerve-racking as suggested in some quarters. But I did enjoy looking at Maika Monroe's legs. :)

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I saw this last night. Should be renamed "It Sucks." one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

10. Scott Wheeler

It wasn't scary at all.

11. Scott Wheeler

they are much better than the movie itself

12. Monosterio

Those early stories about the movie did it no favors. :shake:

13. progrocker71

95% critic score on RT, 68% user score. Which is about what I expected. I knew it would go over the head of some straight-ahead horror fans.

Here's a quote from John Carpenter: "Finally, a horror movie with suspense. I loved it!"

Mr. H, GentleSenator and mikeyt like this.
  14. Scott Wheeler

It broke the cardinal rule of film making for me. It was stupid. I just don't think being a genre film should give film makers a licence to be soooo stupid. This movie has a lot of huge problems. It definitely did not go over my head. Me thinks Carpenter was seduced by the ridiculously cheesy 70s synth sound track that had very little connection to the content of the movie.

15. progrocker71

We'll have to agree to disagree, I didn't find it stupid at all. In fact I thought it had some rather clever ways of poking fun at the unfortunately common stupidity of the horror genre. Kind of a lower-key take on the Cabin In The Woods "loving hate letter" (as Whedon described it) to horror films in general.

Mr. H and CBC like this.
  16. Scott Wheeler

Now Cabin in the Woods was smart and multi layered. Not this one.

17. progrocker71

We've landed squarely in "subjective opinion" territory, so as I said earlier, let's just agree to disagree.

18. Scott Wheeler

Fair enough but really, I don't even think it is all that subjective. But I don't want to bog the thread down with spoilers. I just wonder what the Cops in this little town actually do for a living. Think about it....

19. progrocker71

I don't need to think about it, I grasped the surrealistic aspect of the film. There are no adults in the movie, there is no identifiable time-frame that it exists in, the world outside this small group of characters is ignored completely.

But this is getting boring, you thought it was stupid, I thought it was clever. The end.

20. Monosterio

I give it a thumbs up on the strength of Maika Monroe's legs. :winkgrin:

21. Scott Wheeler

So the cops that were in the movie were not adults? :confused:

22. progrocker71

This is tiresome. Welcome to my ignore list.

23. Scott Wheeler

Hmmm, I guess talking about the new horror film "It Follows" is tiresome for some of the people participating in the thread titled "The new horror film 'It Follows'" go figure....

cb70 likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, Rotten Tomatoes says "immediately go" and the SHF forum say "ehh?" Who do I trust? Please don't tell me this a "Cabin in the Woods" kind of tribute. I hated that movie. Well, I didn't hate it, I just thought it was a stupid as the movies it was supposedly sending up. Oh, well. Matinee...

25. Scott Wheeler

It bares no resemblance to Cabin in the Woods

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.