New horror movie "It Follows"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

This movie sucked, should've been called It Swall*ws

jon9091 likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would consider that a positive rating. ;)

3. hidden1one

hidden1one Forum Resident

This movie does have a awesome soundtrack, too bad my vinyl copy of it showed up scratched to ****!.....literally had vinyl shavings inside the inner sleeve just resting against the grooves & scratching the record since the day the record was placed in that inner sleeve....bummer....I would't trust Milan records for quality control or customer service either....

4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I thought the first half was ok but it all went downhill for the last half though. Way over-hyped.

jriems likes this.
  5. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

That is how I took it. But I am not confident that I am correct on that.
    And the ending, as the two are walking down the sidewalk. There is what appears to be one of those "Followers" walking behind them. And how that works out is up to our imagination. Is that what you all made of that?

Overall I quite liked the movie. After watching, the only negative thing to me was that it did not have a scary feel to it. My girlfriend had the same reaction.

6. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I think that's right.
    It's coming after them at the end. One of them will need to sleep with someone in order for it to start following someone else. Tough foundation for a relationship, eh? :)
    We might think of this movie as its writer's revenge for having been lectured in sex-ed class about how if you sleep with one person, you sleep with every other person he or she has ever slept with.

Mr. H and Dino like this.
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Finally got around to watching this. Just not very interesting, frankly. There are some decent moments, but overall it's not very scary, not very creepy, and just not very good.

I like the premise, but in my opinion it could have been better if the "followers" were scarier - or were introduced each time in a more frightening way. I dunno.

I'm not sorry I watched it, but I doubt I'll ever re-watch it. I think the 65% audience response on Rotten Tomatoes pretty accurately reflects my opinion.

My wife avoids creepy/scary movies like the plague, and she said It Follows was a total yawner.

8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I find myself agreeing with the film critics on It Follows, but I generally disagree with the general public so this is not surprising.

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I rented it and turned it off after the opening. Looked like a dumb horror film and I just wasn't interested in seeing it.

10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

One of my favorite sequences is:
    The scene where they go to Hugh's school to get his real name/address, and the camera in the hall continues to rotate slowly 360 degrees or more. It pans across the windows showing the quad and you see a girl wearing a white jacket in the distance walking straight for the camera. Later, as they're leaving the school in the car, you see that same girl walking directly toward them from the POV behind the passenger. The cool thing is that they never see the girl, but we KNOW she's "It."
    I think that's a very successful pair of scenes with very little dialogue, and a nice bit of suspense.

Dudley Morris and Dino like this.
  11. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well filmed, killer soundtrack, and a clever idea well thought out. I found it to be very tense throughout, with a couple of decent scares.

Shawn likes this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just watched this through twice. Really liked it a lot. Nice to see something different in the genre. Some very visually arresting scenes, and the score was great.

13. I liked that aspect of the film, that it usually didn't point the camera straight at the horror and left it for you to discover as it made its way to the centre of the frame.

Despite its flaws, the movie got a good atmosphere going that carried over past the end and made reality seem a bit ominous for a couple of hours afterwards, especially given the long shadows of late afternoon in my case. I got creeped out after leaving the theatre when I spotted someone slowly walking towards me across the empty parking lot.

Holy Diver likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Probably because she didn't tell the guy the rules or he didn't believe her and IT found and dispatched the guy. I think she DID sleep with one of them. We saw her just entering the water, when we next see her driving home, her cast is soaked, her hair is all wet, and she's crying. And if you look for symbolism, note the backyard pool which she is frequently in is now broken and empty. One of the themes of the movie is the passage from childhood to adulthood and the pool (where we first see her) represented part of her childhood. She tries to return to it after her traumatic sexual experience where she became the target of IT (remember when she flees her house on a bicycle, rides to a park and sits on a swing set) and for a time there is the struggle between being thrust from childhood into the adult world and wanting to go back. Earlier in the movie she had resisted the idea of simply passing on the curse, but after seeing what happened to Greg she is desperate and does so (with the men on the lake). At that point she's completely abandoned innocence.

That's how I took that part, anyway. But since we don't see her have sex with one of the men, its open to interpretation. Either way (she didn't have sex, or she did and it then killed that guy), IT resumed following her.

Taking it to a prostitute was a great idea. Give it to someone who will likely quickly pass it on. Good chance of putting enough buffers between you and IT to keep the inevitable at bay for awhile. Maybe...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  15. Monosterio

I wish I had felt that way after seeing the movie. Everything just felt normal for me, though. I'm envious.

16. Monosterio

I saw the movie a second time (or a big chunk of it anyway). Yeah, she definitely has sex with at least one of those guys.

Tim S likes this.
  17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It was just released on DVD/BR a couple weeks ago, so I'll probably check it out eventually.

18. Yep. I enjoyed it.

Dino likes this.
  19. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I'd said earlier "After watching, the only negative thing to me was that it did not have a scary feel to it. My girlfriend had the same reaction.".

I had thought that may have had something to do with the characters seeming so calm - under the circumstances.

I liked that they seemed like fully formed people rather than the caricature of teens that I see so much in movies, especially horror movies. But maybe it would have been more effective to me if they did not seem quite so calm.

Tim S likes this.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I finally watched it. It's not a straight up horror movie. That is why people don't like it. It makes more sense when you look at it in the right context.

From Wiki:

"Beneath the anxieties about sex (and STDs), the film is also about death, about existential dread in the face of death's inevitability, and about how people try (and fail) to postpone death."

There you go. Pretty deep for a "horror" movie.

Mr. H and Dino like this.
  21. I did t thimk so. Nice suspense movie though it's difficult to sustain the level of suspense throughout the whole movie.

I didn't think it was necessarily calm but more a rational approach that they were goi g to solve a problem. Unlike most teens in these type of movies they didn't panic all the time.

22. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

They certainly weren't "rational" in their attempt to problem solve. Kind of the opposite.

23. Ok, practical or matter of fact as in they had a problem and they were going to solve it and find out how to stop the "thing" from taking their friend.

It certainly isn't a perfect film or script but I liked it.

24. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I have no problem with people liking it. But those kids were making really bad/irrational choices despite being so very very well informed about the entity they were facing.

25. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

Not sure about that. Seemed a hell of a lot more realistic than 98% of the horror movies with teens as the main protagonists. It's not a rational situation. I enjoyed that the ethics of the problem were - not examined, exactly, but clearly part of the thought process.

wayneklein likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.