New horror movie "It Follows"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim,

This is a great post. I wish I could answer these questions, as I thought some of them myself.

As to the part I quoted, you'll have to wait until the sequel, staring myself and that nerdy chick, as we discover exactly how many times a day that sex will keep the boogie man away. Check your local Megaplex for video rental details. :D

Tim S likes this.
  2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Because of the use of the word "it" in the title, this horror movie sounds like a sequel: It Comes At Night - Movie Trailers - iTunes

It -- pardon the word -- may be creepy in its own right. I'll have to keep an eye on it -- to see if it is worth seeing.

3. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I haven't seen it, but a buddy of mine who's tastes are very similar to mine did and he HATED it. The venom with which he described this movie to me was really kind of epic. And there is VERY little that we disagree on when it comes to movies, so I'm inclined to trust him.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Nice take. Exactly! Sex, age, death. Scariest for me were the forms of the monster which were age-withered humans - ugly, dying, real. And here it is preying on teens who are having sex. Procreating.

The death of the neighbor boy is a puzzling image. Electric. Very weird. I wonder what it meant.

This film worked very subtly. It was not meant for a popcorn strewn Friday night. I saw it by myself in a theater during the day and I was mesmerized. I wanted my daughter to see it, so I took her, only this time in the evening and there were more people in the theater. Teens. At one point they giggled at a scene. And that was it; the spell was broken. More people giggled and the experience was spoiled because the quiet unease had been dispelled. More laughing at later points and I was so bummed my daughter got robbed of the lovely malaise of this film. I think a lot of kids went looking for jump scares and got Truffaut. I notice that character driven works no longer interest most teens. Oh, "characters" like Obi Wan and Captain Marvel, yes, but watching real humans and their beauty, no. I feel like we're regressing as a society, shoring away introspection in favor of mass consumption.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    DHamilton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.