New Ifi phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by plimpington2, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a new Ifi Phono 2 (just about 2 hours on it so far). My system is a bit in transition at the moment - LP12/IttokLV2 into a Leben CD300XS - these are staying. I love them both. I'm recently coming off a Nait XS2. I run an Ortofon 2M blue, 2M black and a Linn Karma (low OP MC). My main phono stage was a Rega fono MM Mk2, which when driven by the 2M's and then into the Nait was exceptional - MUCH better than my second phono section - the Schiit Mani. However, the 2M's into the Rega and then into the Leben overdriven the input. I can't get volume knob above 9:30 and the upper registries are aggressive. The 2M's output is an eye watering 5mv.

The Mani has a 30 db gain setting and this mates VERY well with the Leben when driven by the 2M. But this section is noisy (in my system) and really not as nice as the Rega. It's veiled and closed in by way of comparison.

So I've just received delivery of the Ifi Phono 2. I've got just two hours on it. So far, it is thin and a bit aggressive. It has noticeably improved detail retrieval compared to the Schiit Mani and the Rega - but it's not very big or robust sounding. I'm hopeful it will mellow and "plump out" a bit. I have not tried it with the Karma yet. I'm going to give it 20 hours before I make decisions about its performance and before I take advantage of the MC sections. I have my eye on a medium OP Benz Glider. But now I'm not so sure as I don't think I have the phono section sorted yet.

For what it's worth, what I REALLY want is an Ortofon Cadenza bronze, a nice step-up transformer and the Leben MM section. That's serious $$$ tho.

Judd

2. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I have the iPhono 1 and kind of had the same experience when I first got it to run with my 2M Bronze. It was dynamic but just didn't sound as good as the phonos in my vintage Yamaha preamps. So it sat around for a while until I picked up a couple of lomc moving coil cartridges. Um, wow, suddenly I really liked the iPhono and the adjustable loading and gain almost made it too easy (Zyx R50 prefers 100 ohms, AT33ptg/ii prefers 1000 ohms). My guess is that with MM it comes down to dialing in the capacitance or taking it a step further with swapping your cables (maybe you need more, maybe you need less with respect to what the iPhono does). If you get frustrated then I'd say go straight to moving coil and see where it takes you.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There is a big thread about the iPhono 2 already. You'll find lots of users and info there. Also, keep an eye on it as recently, lots of people have run into one or even several defective units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.