New Janelle Monáe album 'Dirty Computer' (Release date April 27)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Janelle (okay, her record company) told me on September 26th that they shipped my yellow vinyl order. Still waiting for it to arrive. At day 17 now… :cry:

2. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I did the exact same thing! I thought it was a "featured" guest at first.

rischa likes this.
  3. Yost

The yellow vinyl arrived today. The lenticular cover is awesome, the effect is very strong. The yellow vinyl is translucent, plays at 45 rpm, is flat and noiseless. Sounds very nice on first play.

Somebody really made an effort, the records come in anti static inner sleeves, and there’s is a download code included. There’s also a sheet with extensive credits and info on what inspired every track. No lyrics, though.

I’m very happy I ordered this when it was announced in June. It was worth the long wait.

LarsO and rischa like this.
  4. Yost

5. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I've followed this thread from the beginning, so it has been awhile. Also, I've tried searching. So if this has been covered please offer a pointer. I received a Japanese CD pressing as a gift. The sender meant to send me vinyl and wants to send it back. I'm of a mind to keep this anyway and pay for it while allowing the sender to re-order the vinyl. I already have the 44.1khz/24bit files. Is there any reason other than extreme collecting to hold on to this? I'm sure it's beautiful sounding, but would it really offer anything of value sound wise?

6. The Revealer

No Japanese CD owners I guess. Sending it back as anyone might expect.

I just want to say that I've earlier said that I've been disappointed with the quality of Janelle Monae's vinyl pressing of The Electric Lady and have been sticking with hi-res files. Well, not surprisingly, this had a lot to do with my stylus and other elements in my chain. Rocking a new system and love the TEL vinyl and very eager to hear DC on vinyl. Hi-res is great. I do love me the sweet vinyl.

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I got my ticket for her Berlin gig in July.

:goodie:

Yost and The Revealer like this.
  8. Yost

I have the yellow vinyl for Dirty Computer and the black vinyl 2018 repress of The Electric Lady and both sound fine to me.

9. The Revealer

Nice. I have the black and white TEL. I'm not in a hurry and if my DC comes in black, I'd be fine. So nice to finally get to hear the first one be as satisfying as I always wanted it to be!

10. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Just a quick bump to say that Janelle is playing Glastonbury this weekend, so anyone who’s able should check it out online or on BBCTV!

While she’s over, she’s playing London on Tuesday and I’ll get my first chance to see her live.

I was more excited about this when I thought “Dirty Computer” was a great album - but since having spent a lot of time with “Archandroid” and “Electric Lady”, I now realise I missed out BIG TIME by not getting into her sooner. :(

11. wolfram

I'll be seeing her on July 9 and I'm looking forward to it very much, but I know how you feel. When I discovered the “Archandroid” album I was just a bit too late to see her show here. And she hasn't been back since, so I've been waiting for quite a few years now. But I would have loved to see her back then touring that album.

Yost, LivingForever and Greenalishi like this.
  12. Yost

I couldn’t attend her shows in Paradiso, last September, in Amsterdam. But I’ll make up for it in two weeks, when she’s performing on North Sea Jazz in Rotterdam. And I’ll be there!
    :pineapple:

13. LivingForever

I’m glad I’m not the only one! Honestly, I think “Archandroid” is a total masterpiece, and one of the very best albums of the 21st century. When I listen to “Dirty Computer” now, it just seems... kinda ordinary?

Still, I’m hoping we’ll still get a couple of tracks from that album at the shows in the next few weeks... :)

14. LivingForever

You are both going to have an amazing time. I’m ready to say that London gig which just finished is the best thing I’ve ever seen.

Yeah, there’s not tons from the first two albums, but there is some, and it didn’t matter at all - sheer power; energy and joy throughout.

Greenalishi, Yost and andycherry like this.
  15. wolfram

Well, in my case she would have to beat Prince's "Sign 'O' The Times" show. That's not gonna be easy. ;)
    Ok, I admit, you've got me excited.
    :goodie:

Greenalishi and LivingForever like this.
  16. LivingForever

Haha, alright then, that might be a tough one. But you never know...!

Greenalishi and wolfram like this.
  17. wolfram

I'll let you guys know in a week. :)

Greenalishi likes this.
  18. wolfram

Ok, last night was the night I've been waiting for for almost 9 years. And yes, it was a great show, Monáe has an amazing stage presence. Unfortunately the sound was less than great, especially during the first few songs. Her voice and the guitar were drowned out by the drums and bass. It got a little better after a while, but by then she had already performed "Q.U.E.E.N.", which is one of my absolute favourites by her. Oh, well.

It was a rather small venue and the crowd went crazy for the whole show, especially when she came down to crouch among us mere mortals during "Come Alive" (yes, we all had to crouch down for what felt forever, especially for my 51-year-old legs). She was about 2 metres away from me then, which was kinda cool.

Of course she played many songs from "Dirty Computer" and "Electric Lady" and only very few from "Archandroid". I was still hoping for "Sincerely, Jane", but that didn't happen.

If you want to get an impression of the current show, here's a pretty decent clip of her show shortened to 1 hour.

LivingForever likes this.
  19. wolfram

And here's one with even better quality of her 2014 show. I still haven't forgiven her that she didn't come to Berlin with it. :mad:

Greenalishi and LivingForever like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, you're not alone. "Electric" was a big drop from "AA", and "Computer" is an even bigger decline.

Not that I dislike either album, but they're not a patch on "AA".

I saw JM for the last 2 tours but will always be sad I didn't see the "AA" tour - I got the album just after she stopped touring behind it, essentially.

The "Computer" show I saw last year left me fairly cold, mainly because I just don't like the new material much.

For the last 2 tours, JM was an automatic buy for me, but I'll probably wait until I hear her next album to decide if I want to see her again...

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. Yost

Her North Sea Jazz concert was great. She played for a 10.000 people room and it was awesome. I was some 4 meters from the front of the stage. She played for 1.5 hours, many songs from Dirty Computer, 3 from ArchAndroid, 3 from Electric Lady and a song I didn't recognize. She ended her show with a minutes long jazz improvisation with her band, showing us that she knew at what kind of festival she was. Pictures from my iPhone. :agree: :righton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

GentleSenator, Yost, LarsO and 2 others like this.
  23. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Anyone know if there's a new album in the works, or if there is something else she might be working on? I follow her on Twitter, but if she has mentioned anything I must have missed it.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

great pressing. really cool cover too.

Yost and Greenalishi like this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

she seems to take her time between albums, (and seems to be doing more acting as well) so I imagine it’ll be another year or two before we hear anything. Although I’m sure there will be an isolated song or two for movies or compilations.

Greenalishi likes this.