New Janelle Monáe album 'Dirty Computer' (Release date April 27)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I already loved Django Jane. But its connection to Screwed makes it even better.

Yost, Maurice, Mr. Explorer and 3 others like this.
  2. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I owe our favorite participating GORT @Ken_McAlinden a public apology. If I had realized that Dirty Computer functions so effectively as a cinematic production and that the videos are really part of a cinematic event that should be dealt with like a movie, I would have confined my posts to basic "movie discussion" sensibilities and not have been so offended at his willingness to maintain 'video silence' in this thread. I mean, you wouldn't go posting clips from Pulp Fiction in a thread because that could be heinous. And in fact, DC has its own life as a emotion picture. So I started that thread. We can all practice discussing the breaking of rules without actually breaking them there!

Peace all!

Janelle Monae's Dirty Computer An Emotion Picture

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  3. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

You've championed Cindy Mayweather for years... :)

4. Birdienumnums

Birdienumnums Well-Known Member

Also want this on vinyl. I've listened to it a few times now and it is definitely a keeper! If anyone hears anything about a vinyl edition PLEASE let me know!

clgoss77 and OldSoul like this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Her 2013 album vinyl came about 2 months after the CD version. I don't think any of her vinyl is a major sonic upgrade over the CD. The Electric Lady B/W double vinyl is very very cool, though.

The Revealer likes this.
  6. Birdienumnums

Birdienumnums Well-Known Member

Somehow I didn't pick up "Electric Lady" when it was released, but I am going to correct that now!
    It's true what you said about the sonic quality of her vinyl releases, though. At least it's true for the two LPs that I have! I have the "Chase Suite " and "ArchAndroid" on vinyl and was very disappointed by the sound reproduction on both of them.
    That having been said, however, if I am going to spend money on a new album it's going to be on vinyl even if the pressing's sonics aren't an improvement on the CD. I just feel like I'm just throwing my money away if buy a CD, even if I love the music.
    I have been lucky enough to have been victim of very few cases of the vinyl sounding *worse* than the CD; The Pipettes' 1st LP and The Lonely Island's 2nd being the only 2 I can think of. But, even my lousy sounding vinyl pressings generally sound at least as good as the CD, so CDs have been scratched right off my shopping list in recent years.

7. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I was on holiday and didn't have the right listening conditions until now...

I'm very impressed by this album, I think there's a lot of very good music on it, with a lot of variation in production techniques. This might be her pop-iest album to date, and sometimes I have the feeling I'm listening to Lilly Allen (Screwed) or Madonna (Take A Byte, Americans). It's so full of ideas that I'm actually glad she mellows down in the second half of the album and I think that I Like That and especially Don't Judge Me are the highlights of the album.

I don't understand why the title track fades out after only 2 minutes, it should have been twice as long (at least). And although she kept it to 14 tracks this time, the first half of the album still sounds like she's proving she can do it all. Such a wealth of musical ideas in such a short time, she should really learn to make it sound less hyped up.

Currently I'm not a big fan of So Afraid and I Got The Juice, but the rest of the tracks are all great. So yet another great album from a very inspiring and gifted musician. I can't say it's better or worse than her previous albums, as they are all great in their own way.

Looking forward to the vinyl, as I can stream the digital version. Sadly, compressions artefacts can be heard, especially on Screwed. So hoping that the vinyl version improves on this.

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Just to confirm for those who've yet to get a physical copy, there's nothing on this that indicates this is parts VII & VIII of the Archandroid Suite, right?

I like most of this album, but it's definitely peaks and troughs stylistically, whereas for me the earlier albums were pretty consistent.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Janelle has said in interviews that "Cindy will be back". So no, this isn't part of the suites.

LivingForever and Mr. Explorer like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Got my ticket for the DC show! :goodie:

I've never been to the Anthem - it's a new venue here - so I'll be curious to see how the room plays.

Most of the room is standing room GA, but for an extra fee, they offer what they call "Super Excellent Seats" - actual reserved spots in the front rows of the balconies.

I'm not convinced how "super excellent" the seat will be... but as an old man of 50, I want the reserved spot! :D

And if there's an actual seat involved - even better!

Mr. Explorer and Yost like this.
  11. Yost

Does anybody know why Prince is not credited, while Monae does state in interviews he was involved in the album?

12. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

She credits him in the liner notes. He just doesn’t have any songwriter credits. Maybe he wasn’t directly involved in the production.

Yost likes this.
  13. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Not sure if I like Dirty Computer as much as ArchAndroid or Electric Lady -- it's poppier and more accessible than her previous work --- but the high marks as a good as anything she's done to date. She's a special talent.

14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

It's a minor detail but my only real bugbear with this album is that constant use of whatever it is that's running the hi-hats. I guess it's (something mimicking?) an 808, but it just seems too intrusive on the top-end, and stiff. I know it's not unusual, but a bit of live drums or less harsh sound would improve the album's sonics.

15. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Anyone else prefer the first half of the album to the latter half?

fourfeathers likes this.
  16. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, me. I think up to "Make Me Feel", the album is great and flows incredibly well. The second half is more patchy imo.

fourfeathers likes this.
  17. Yost

I thought so too on the first couple of listens, but then I Like That and Don’t Judge Me really kicked in.

Still, I Got The Juice and So Afraid are not my favourites, so although I’m not preferring the first half anymore, it’s still the best half (yes, it’s complicated). :help:

The Revealer likes this.
  18. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

"I Like That" is going to kill on this tour. Janelle's slow jams are very underrated -- "Primetime" was a standout for me on Electric Lady!

19. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

If Cindy will be back, then to what does Monae refer in the line on Django Jane: I got away with murder, no scandal?

I was starting to think after watching the DC emotion picture that it was a metaphor for her escaping the oppression that led to the creation of Cyndi in the first place. Otherwise, why create Jane plus # in such a similar way? And that one line I mention has been a source of confusion since I first saw the video for the song. The new album/video might not be a 'murder' of Cyndi Mayweather per se, but it does seem to suggest that she has shrugged off the android for awhile, no?

20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

after giving this one a few listens, it's a bit of a disappointment. her first two LPs and EP were brilliant and unique. the production on this is super generic and stale. thankfully it's still janelle and her witty words because otherwise this one would be shelved permanently at my house.

got tickets to the sold out show here so hopefully i feel reinspired after seeing some of this stuff live.

21. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I saw her set on the same tour in Austin and was also blown away.

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Are the "Make Me Feel" publishing proceeds being all funelled to a charity via WB? Some weird language buried int he credits that I can't fully unravel. Maybe they put Janelle & friends as writers, but send the money to a Prince chosen school, which also helps keep money away from heirs.

Anyone bought tour tickets? I have a pair of pit tickets(50-75 people?) for the Vancouver theater show.

23. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

best album of the year (so far)

dustybooks likes this.
  24. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

That’s intriguing! I got two Nashville tickets for the balcony at the Ryman

25. Yost

On Metropolis Cindi is introduced with a number. And there’s a song Sincerely, Jane. Any connection with what’s happening in the Emotion movie?