New Jefferson Airplane "Bark" expanded (Iconoclassic)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IconoclassicRecs, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IconoclassicRecs

IconoclassicRecs Forum Resident Thread Starter

In order to recreate the package that way was cost prohibitive. We did the best we could. The consumer first encountered the grocery bag when shopping for the new release in the LP bins so that was used as the front and back image for the jewel case. (We also recreated that original back cover sticker) Once the person aquiring the CD opens up the package they will find the "fish paper" cover as a secondary image just like we all did when we first purchased the LP. All the other original pieces of art were used in the package. The concept is very similar to the way we recreated the Guess Who "Artificial Paradise" artwork.

Dino likes this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Cool! Thanks! Looking forward to this one. Pre-ordered!

3. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Looking forward to this, too. I've never owned Bark in any format.

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've always considered BARK and SUNFIGHTER to be cut from the same cloth. They just compliment each other so well. Then there's BARON VON TOLLBOOTH AND THE CHROME NUN, which is woefully overlooked in the Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship canon of great stuff.

5. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Sunfighter is a cool l.p....

rstamberg and bluemooze like this.
  6. IconoclassicRecs

As you are all listening please keep in mind that "When the Earth Moves Again" despite being a great song probably has the wonkiest mix on the entire album. It gets a lot better sonically after that. Always a problem having a great song lead off a very good album with a mix that baffles. More noticeable now than ever!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  7. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Just got my copy and gone through it once. Iconoclassic has done a great job. I've enjoyed this album since it was first released in the early 70s and have listened to it many times. This version is the best sounding I've heard. Very smooth, clean sound. The guitars sound great, vocals are right, just an all around great sounding reissue.

Not heard a single Iconoclassic release that has not improved the sound from previous releases. Do release more Airplane related work, Canned Heat and whatever else is being considered. Is there any chance you could do the Grand Funk catalog? The one you released is fine but I'd like to have the entire works available from you because I know the sound will be great. Good luck with all your future releases.

"When the Earth Moves Again" sounds fine to me. However they meant it to sound is what I want to hear.

8. IconoclassicRecs

Your last point is exactly why we didn't want to futz with it. Thank you for the kind words about this release. We are very pleased with the results and are glad that you are also. We have our eyes on the Grand Funk catalogue but while most of the titles are still in print through Universal we are not allowed to put them out.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm another member of the Bark Fan Club! It's on my list now--can't wait to get it.

10. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I don't care for the Universal releases I've heard so I'll wait for the Iconoclassic releases before I buy anymore Grand Funk CDs.

11. stereoptic

I received my copy yesterday. Sounds great!

12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

My copy should be here later today

13. stereoptic

I have nothing else to compare it to, except for the overlapping tracks on The Essential Jefferson Airplane. When the Earth Moves Again sounds a little less congested on the new Icononclassic Bark than on the Essential Jefferson Airplane.

14. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

Just ordered from Amazon. Loved the Three Dog Night titles, and I want to thank Iconoclassic for the wonderful Laura Nyro reissues also!

15. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

That sounds like a great request to me! I would be very happy to buy that.

16. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

This sounds like a great release. I really like this album, although I know for many people it is not their favorite JA album. I agree it doesn't hang together as a whole as well as some, but some of the songs are amazing: "When the Earth", "3rd week", "Pretty As You", "Feel So Good", and the closer come immediately to mind. Thanks for remastering, I will definitely buy!

I also want to second the call for "Long John Silver", probably the least loved JA album. Again, it has a bevy of truly amazing songs, including "Alexander the Medium", "Trial By Fire", "Long John Silver", and others. The sound on that album is probably the worst of all of the Airplane albums, so I'm not sure if you could make it much better. I've always fantasized about someone going back to the multitracks and remixing it. Is that something that Iconoclassic could do?

Loved a bunch of your other reissues too. The "Thirty Seconds Over Winterland" sounded great and I agree with the other poster about the Canned Heat title which sounded great too.

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Another great quad mix, buried & gone now. That was the only way to hear separation on this album (and the quad was the main mix, as it was one of RCA's earliest quads, when they thought that those mixes would be the ones to survive into the future). When The Earth Moves, sounds almost normal on it, Pretty As You Feel and Thunk were not mono, etc. BTW, I love that this album treated 1975 as some long-off future date. Another lost opportunity to do a Steve Wilson type release and get classic surround mixes out there. Unfortunately, Iconoclastic keeps releasing LPs that had surround mixes, like Hot Tuna, The Guess Who releases , The Hoople, Isely Bros., etc, without including surround, pretty much guaranteeing them being buried forever.

18. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Arrived today and the mono "Pretty As You Feel' is playing as I type. Wow! Fantastic job Icono! Thanks so much for bringing out the fidelity! I hadn't heard this album is a few decades I'm guessing. I thought I had the old CD but couldn't find it. It's great to have this definitive reissue. Anyone hesitating, do yourself a favor and go and buy it now!

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

After the troubles I experienced finding the other Jefferson Airplane on Iconoclassic (Thirty Seconds Over Winterland) I am not waiting to get this one. Lesson learned. :)

20. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Just ordered from Amazon.

Pat

eelkiller likes this.
  21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The bonus track of "Feel So Good" is worth it alone. Superlative here.

Love the vintage Grunt Records label for the CD face. I've got all iterations of this album -- it was pivotal to me -- so I'm cool about the standard jewel case packaging* in lieu of cool paper bag-and-poster-encased album reproductions like those released by Culture Factory and BMG in Japan a few years back ... but those CDs don't sound very good and -- this is important -- BARK is a very unusually recorded and mixed album to begin with. Part of its charm, I say.

*BTW, the graphics elements are all reproduced in Iconoclassic's four-page CD booklet.

Anyway, the Iconoclassic Records edition is easily the best version of BARK. It has never sounded better, ever, any of it. The sound is amazing considering its vintage, too (1971). Dare I say BARK has never sounded better on CD.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    Jack and bluesbro like this.
  22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Your post makes me salivate at the thought of actually hearing a quad mix of BARK. Agh.

John Bliss likes this.
  23. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

I know it's not included on this CD but isn't there a long extended version studio version of "Pretty As You Feel" out there somewhere? From Joey Covington's archives or something? Heard it one time on Sirius XM - it was great great great.

24. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Found it - thank you internet!

Too bad this isn't on the new CD reissue!

25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The Yellow Dog boot "The Saga of Sydney Spacepig" has the extended versions of that and "Feel So Good."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.