New Jennifer Warnes album "Another Time, Another Place", May 25, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueJay, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I see no Leonard Cohen songs included.

Just going off the YouTube song, this is another surefire audiophile recording. The production is nicely layered - I hope we get a hi-rez version.

oboogie likes this.
  2. Zachsdad

Zachsdad Active Member

April 28 is the release date. You can preorder on amazon USA . I see that the sons So Sad is on the CD a song she did with Robert Michaels and plays on her website. Be interested to see if it a new version produced by Roscoe Beck or if it the 20o5 version.

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Still no vinyl listed anywhere. Though Kat Edmonson who has a new album due on the same date said the vinyl of her album would not be available until around Christmas, so perhaps it's the same with Jenny's album.

4. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I saw on IMWAN that the CD release date has been pushed back to the end of May. What's one more month after 17 years? :D

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  5. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's still April in the UK. May in the USA. But perhaps the UK date will change soon. I don't want to prejudge the album, but I must say what's been revealed so far is not causing me to hyperventilate. I mean, an album of random covers? I was hoping for something more after 17 years, either more original songs or more involvement of high profile collaborators. I'm sure the record will sound very lovely - JW has a beautiful singing voice - but it's the kind of record which may not get much repeat playing. If I want to hear Mark Knopfler's 'Don't Worry', I'll more likely give Brothers in Arms a spin.

6. BlueJay

Now pushed back to May 25th worldwide. I knew it was a mirage.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  7. pghmusiclover

Maybe that will give them time to get it pressed on VINYL! :D

BlueJay likes this.
  8. BlueJay

Very likely the reason. Those vinyl pressing plants have colossal backlogs.

AlmanacZinger and pghmusiclover like this.
  9. pghmusiclover

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    AlmanacZinger, Bill, rob68 and 2 others like this.
  10. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Is Warnes referencing The Mary Martin in that interview?

11. pghmusiclover

Very interesting part of the interview:

Songfacts: The big hit song that you had back in the '70s was "Right Time Of The Night." Can you talk about that song?

Warnes: No. [Laughing] No, I can't.

Did she despise the song so much? Was it something that Clive Davis (ugh) persuaded her to record?

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Speking of which, I was never able to buy the SACD versions of her albums in that format. Are the regular editions pretty good?
    Also I had to settle for the 2007 remaster of the Just Jennifer comp (I'm guessing these were before she had any clout to demand audiophilia),
    and the Japanese release of Jennifer and the 2008 re-release of the Cohen cover album.

Can any one vouch for the sounds of these discs? Or offer comparisons?

Oh and the BGO release from 2016!

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Also this may be sacrilegious but I don't have ANY of her soundtrack songs. Any place to get them in one spot with decent sound or is getting the respective soundtracks my only option for pre-loudness wars CD versions?

Thanks.

14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I've noticed some slow working artists tend to release an album of covers just to release an album of originals soon after, as if they're just warming up or testing audience interest. Let's hope this is the case for Warnes.

15. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I bought the SACD of The Hunter & I don't think it's as good as my German Private Music CD.

16. pghmusiclover

Jennifer has never been a prolific writer -- I think "The Hunter" may be the album that has the most self-composed tunes, but that was really the exception.

As she says in the interview linked above (post #34):

Songfacts: You have not written that many songs, but you have written some, and many of them have been very good. Why don't you write more songs?

Warnes: I don't know, why don't you? [Laughing]

Songfacts: I'm not sure I have the chops for it.

Warnes: Why don't you cook more beef? Why don't you buy more houses? Why don't you have more dogs or parrots? I don't know why.

Why don't I write more songs? Because life is a really fascinating thing and I'm not ego-driven. That's not my path.

Songfacts: What do you feel is your path?

Warnes: Singing.

I would love it if you are correct, but I seriously doubt that Jennifer will release another album after this one!

Dai likes this.
  17. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I've pre ordered on Amazon UK . Released in the UK on the 25th May.
    Can't wait.

18. pghmusiclover

It would be terrific to get a nice compilation from Jennifer that includes her hit duets and other rarities.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Are we thinking this album might be a candidate for an early evaluation via NPR First Listen?

Like maybe tomorrow?!

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup...just tried to order it on Amazon and no vinyl and I don't buy CD's. And then you forget about it as time goes by. Missed opportunity. With all the time they have had to release this, no excuse not to have had vinyl ready. I would venture a guess that 80% of her fans want it in that format. Was nice to read in the Billboard article that she is the opposite of Stevie Nicks...she wants to go back in the studio and record another album instead of touring!

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Too bad:edthumbs::cheers:

22. pghmusiclover

I would most definitely take that with a grain of salt! I would be pleasantly surprised if she recorded another album anytime soon!

Jrr likes this.
  23. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Yeah, doesn't U2 always say they're going to record again right away after releasing an album, and then...?

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It has shipped!!:edthumbs::cheers:

25. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Glad to see she's out there. Right time..ahead..of the night for it.

Jrr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.