New Jennifer Warnes album "Another Time, Another Place", May 25, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueJay, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Please let us know how you like it. I will stubbornly wait for it on vinyl as I can't imagine it not coming out that way.

BlueJay and ted321 like this.
  2. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

I'm having my first listen to the CD as I type, and I'm not through it yet but the credits show a depth of instrumentation which should prove interesting. So far no overwhelmingly impressive soundscapes that a tour-de-force like The Hunter would have you expect. But she is a 71-year-0ld woman now—though her voice remains as compelling as ever. I'm not sure they hit the previous high-marks for production quality on this one which so endear her previous albums to us and make them classics for several generations. Nice, but so far it hasn't hit me as a keeper I'll play over and over twenty-years from now. I'll give it some time and hope it grows on me!

Jrr likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

So many of my favorite albums absolutely did nothing for me the first few listens. With album sales being what they are now, I was worried about that though. It sounds like some real money was put into production values up to now, and it wouldn't surprise me if they just couldn't do that with this album, especially with a boutique artist. I hope it grows on you. I will likely still spring for it if it comes ount on vinyl, which one would think it will shortly.

4. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Part way through my fourth trip of getting to know this album. Great instrumentation. Sonny Landreth is a treat to listen to. The Warren Haynes/Derek Trucks tune is a lovely version, taking nothing away from Susan Tedeschi's vocalization. Guitar work on Knopfler's Why Worry is superb. I just have to get used to a different voice singing it! I feel Jennifer's rendition of Mickey Newbury's So Sad will send people searching for who Mickey is. I know it did for me. A "new" poet for Warnes to interpret—beautifully! Try Mickey's original here and take a listen to Jennifer singing it with Canadian guitarist Robert Michaels here. Warnes' latest version, in my opinion, is the best. And I love the little twist in the lyric where she inserts Mickey's name.
    I'm giving it a :righton:

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    rockinlazys and Jrr like this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thanks for the write up! Does it sound pretty good?

6. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for my CD to come through from Amazon , but at least I've got the mp3 download to listen to for the mean time.
    It sounds rather wonderful.

7. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

What a truly wonderful album this is!

kenbefound likes this.
  8. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

I received the CD from my advance order with Amazon on the release date through my Prime membership. Oddly, I don't remember being offered a download, and don't see one in "My Music". You must have the Unlimited membership?

9. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Lovely song and production, but that cover is awful. Looks like an Eighties country album -- bad font , and not a flattering photo of her.

driverdrummer and Jrr like this.
  10. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

This album is impeccably recorded & mastered & Jennifer's got an a great voice. I just wish it wasn't quite so laid back.

kenbefound and Jrr like this.
  11. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I'm just a casual Amazon user , not a Prime member.

The mp3 offering is/might be just a UK thing.

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Your loss:cheers:

13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I am waiting for the vinyl too — in the meantime I’ve been listening on Spotify and think it’s swell!

Inhope the wait won’t be too long..

14. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Agreed. For some reason, The Well never clicked with me.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Folknik and pghmusiclover like this.
  15. pghmusiclover

I agree about “The Well”... I don’t know why exactly...

Comet01 likes this.
  16. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Nice album. Her voice is still good but a little more controlled, she can't let it stray in case it falters. Impeccable musicianship, at times I thought I was listening to a long lost Ry Cooder album that he forgot to turn up for. The CD seems loud but never harsh or unpleasant, a feat of engineering. It will be interesting to find out what the audiophiles think of it.

17. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Do you know the dynamic range (DR) value?

18. I've always been more impressed with her ability as a singer than her actual albums but this new one is possibly my favorite from Jennifer. I was stunned to find the CD on sale today at Barnes & Noble.

19. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

JW can still break your heart with the way she bends a note. Still, I wish she had dug a little deeper. I missed her heart wrenching melodrama, which is not much in evidence here. I don't think the song selection played to her strengths. The sound is fine, but not audiophile like The Well.

20. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

The Everly Bros. also did a good version of Why Worry on one of their later reunion albums.

21. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

This is a fine album of wonderful performances. Much like most/all of her catalog that I am discovering through Tidal.

Love it.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  22. pghmusiclover

Jennifer has a stellar discography. This new one is an excellent addition (though I still like “The Well” least of all of her albums).

Jrr and jmrife like this.
  23. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

There is a reason that you never heard those songs before: they were unreleased until that Arista Best Of.
    That compilation included three songs (Run to Me, Could It Be Love, Come to Me) from Jennifer's abandoned 3rd Arista album. Her battle with Clive Davis ended up causing him to cancel the entire project. [Davis did the same thing to Gino Vannelli's 1982 Twisted Heart album.]

I've always thought that the cover of that Arista Best Of was bizarre.
    [​IMG]
    It just occurred to me that perhaps she was posing as a marionette to protest Clive Davis trying to make her his puppet.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Now that you mention it, it is a weird cover. Just like Eric Carmen’s last Arista album, and he too did not like working with Clive after his huge debut album. It’s hard to argue with Clive’s position though. He would bring artists hit potential songs. People like Whitney Houston, that took advantage of them, became huge stars and made a lot of money for themselves and the label. It’s a business...that is how it’s supposed to work. Eric wanted to keep writing his own material long after he was out of good ideas for the most part, and he stopped selling. Melissa Manchester went through the same thing and later apologized to Clive for not appreciating what he was trying to do for her. I don’t know Jennifer’s story other than she had a falling out with Clive, and it’s well known she is difficult to work with, though many creative people are...it’s often part of the package. I love a lot of Jennifer’s work but I do prefer her more accessible material when she was with Arista, though she’s clearly done stellar, audiophile work since. Based on the strength of those three final Arista album, it’s a shame it wasn’t finished. I wonder if it was Clive that didn’t like those songs, or Jennifer?

Comet01 likes this.
  25. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

As you mentioned, Eric's issue began with Boats Against the Current (his second Arista album). Although it didn't sell well, the album is held in very high regard by Carmen fans. Subsequent Arista albums didn't rate very highly.
    I definitely agree.

Jrr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.