New John Hiatt Album With Jerry Douglas Band "Leftover Feelings” - May 21, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thesmellofvinyl, Mar 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member Thread Starter

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Very interested in this.

3. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

from 'warming up to the ice age' to 'perfectly good guitar' the man could do wrong by my standards......since then it just hasn't been the same.

i guess my tastes went one way and his music went a different way :shrug:

5. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Looking forward to this. :edthumbs:

Thanks for posting!

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks for this!
    So are these mostly new songs? The “lead” track is a remake from Hiatt’s “Tiki Bar” album, and there’s also an obscure b-side from the Perfectly Good Guitar era. But are the rest new Hiatt songs, or are there covers mixed in? Would there be any songs written by Douglas here?

Seems odd to me to lead with a re-recording of a 20-year old tune.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  7. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Thanks for the new album news. New album news is always great news, and even more so when several of your favorite musicians are involved.

Looks like an album of both new songs and remakes. I hope it's more new songs than remakes.

8. Thesmellofvinyl

What’s the b-side track?

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. "Little Goodnight" - on the CD single of "Angel" from "Perfectly Good Guitar".

Greenalishi and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  10. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Same...except I go thru Walk On before I get off the train (plus Same Old Man).

Greenalishi and jpmosu like this.
  11. Thesmellofvinyl

That’s a fun track.

12. Yes! Very excited for this!

13. mrjinks

[​IMG]O

Ahh, someone beat me to it!

14. mrjinks

I grabbed the wrong single up above. Wanted to get the UK "Angel", but discogs didn't have a pic of the back side, listing the other songs on the single (and I'm too lazy to do the whole "take a pic, upload to imgur, link to pic" thing to post it here. :)

Come to think of it, John has re-recorded old songs in the past, too.
    Old Habits showed up on Perfectly Good Guitar, though I think the single version is far better. It's "rootsier" and sounds like it would fit on Bring The Family/Slow Turning, rather than the more polished sound he had on PGG.
    [​IMG]
    That UK cd-single for Angel also featured "I'll Never Get Over You", which was not on PGG in the US (although it was in other countries). It was also a PGG single, with its own unique b-sides:
    [​IMG]
    Then, oddly, he redid that one for Tiki Bar, where it was AGAIN an A-side, with some live b-side rarities.
    [​IMG]
    He's also redone the occasional track for various compilations albums, too, so I guess it's par for the course for him.

15. I couldn't agree with you more on the single version of Old Habits... I wish I still had this. It has a brilliant drum track and it is just an all-round better version.

16. Thesmellofvinyl

Cool post! I’d never known about this version; need to get a copy now.

Greenalishi and mrjinks like this.
  17. mrjinks

I have it on the Stolen Moments (UK?) cd single. It was also on the US cassingle (!) as the flip of Child of the Wild Blue Yonder and may have appeared elsewhere too (you might check discogs from this rough era).

18. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

19. Thesmellofvinyl

How about that; somewhere in my collection I have that cassingle (but can’t recall ever playing it)!

Greenalishi and mrjinks like this.
  20. Linky53

Linky53 Forum Resident

Great news and nice to hear a different approach. Looking forward to this.

21. mrjinks

Yeah, I knew about his previous wife's suicide, but I don't think I'd heard that about his brother. Yikes.

I've met him briefly after a couple of shows, but never thought to ask an intelligent question of the man. If I ever do again, I'd like to ask him about his "demos" (or outtakes, I'm not sure which term is right here). He has a TON of them. I follow some big-name acts (Solo Beatles, Dylan, Elton, etc.) with extensive back catalogs and large amounts of "rarities", but I also closely follow some other acts who have lots of unreleased/rare material. A couple of them floor me by how many completely unreleased songs are "out there" and Hiatt is one of them.

Many years ago, somewhere (maybe on a Yahoo Hiatt group?) someone distributed a set of demos of John's. It's 79 tracks long, spread over four cds, with only 4-5 songs/disc that he ever actually released, as far as I can tell. It seems something like this would be "easy money" for him: the recordings already exist, just put out a limited pressing (or even - gasp - downloads!) to get the material into the hands of more fans. That probably only scratches the surface of what he has done, too. It was one of only two times when I was so overwhelmed by the amount of "new" material, that I just couldn't process it in my mind (the other being when I found out Lana Del Rey has like 150 or more unreleased songs - and that was when she only had about four albums to her name). I look at the list of songs, and only a handful resonate. Sound quality left something to be desired as I recall, and certainly not all the material was top-shelf. But when I see him do things like re-record old songs ('Train to Birmingham" was on some semi-recent album), I wish he'd focus on doing something with his mass unreleased back catalog.

So pester John about that, everyone, next time you run in to him!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  22. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I'm in on this one. That's a great combo.

23. mrjinks

24. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

Hot stuff! Great combo.

25. mrjinks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.