New John Lennon App features Double Fantasy demos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jricc, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jricc

jricc Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Ettan

Ettan Forum Resident

Released today. Anyone have it?

3. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

That web page says it'll be released on Nov. 14th.

4. helter

helter Forum Resident

Just got it is very cool for $4.99
    Still playing with it

5. hamholio

hamholio Forum Resident

How much music was included with it?

6. helter

helter Forum Resident

Their are 10 demos
    Several photos I've never seen
    5 interviews
    But the best part in the audio/ visual story told of John's sailing trip to Bermuda
    And his time on the island

The app is interactive so you can move the sailboat around the ocean and walk/ look around the island in addition to all the other features
    I'm willing to bet this gets made into a movie someday
    At $4.99 all the money goes to charity so you can't go wrong with this purchase !
    Recommended

midniteinsanjuan, RickH and hamholio like this.
  7. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Are all 10 songs previously unreleased? Are they complete songs?

hamholio likes this.
  8. helter

helter Forum Resident

Some I've heard and some I haven't
    The songs are complete but they have created new versions of songs like I'm Losing You which include a mixture of different demos to show the many changes the song went through before completion

I'm guessing people here aren't into apps much?
    I expected more ink on this release then it's received

The story and the interactive nature of the app is what makes this a special release.
    I just wish they included more unreleased photos

9. jricc

jricc Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got it, thanks for the reminder, will report back tomorrow after I had a chance to listen to the tapes.

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Reading the subject it sounds a bit more like an Audio slide-show and ith a highly visual-interactive menu?

11. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

Is this an app that can be used on anything other than Apple products? I can't afford an iPad or iPhone :(

12. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I bought this the other day for use on my iphone. It's not bad but not a lot to get excited about. Basically there are two parts: the first is full of photos and art doodles with intermittent tape extracts of Lennon's voice (some clearly not originally made about Bermuda but made to 'seem' relevant to the Bermuda vacation). The second part is just music, repeated demos of the Double Fantasy songs, some presented in an incremental way to show how the songs progressed from simple home demos to early studio takes, then to the finished product. One thing I noticed: the early lyrics to 'Starting Over' included a line from Lewis Carroll's 'The Walrus and The Carpenter' which later got taken out of the song. What a terrible mistake! John always loved this poem and used its imagery elsewhere. Also, beware! The App - surprise - also aims to remind you that the real genius behind John's song writing was Yoko Ono. Yawn.

anthontherun and Huck Caton like this.
  13. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

'Even when I'm miles at sea, Yoko writes the songs for me.'

14. helter

helter Forum Resident

That's not correct
    All the dialog with John's voice came directly from interviews he did about Bermuda and the Double Fantasy songs.

15. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Double Fantasy is one of my favorite albums. Over the years lots of related material has been put out: the stripped down version, the Anthology out-takes, the Acoustic demos, and now these app songs. Wouldn't it be nice if one day all this material was put together in a carefully compiled deluxe edition of the album, which could include some the dialog found here.

theMess likes this.
  16. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

17. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I don't see the app on my Droid, and its not on the app store of Windows 8.

Is this Apple only? I mean, the other Apple.

I should probably get "Stripped" first - the "Double Fantasy" disc. This app sounds a bit frustrating from those who have heard it in that its "snippets" and not full songs.

I had a CD awhile ago - I remember it had "Now and Then", "Free as a Bird" takes on it. Late '70s. It was awesome - wish that came out. The CD is long gone and wasn't commercially available anyway. But bummer I don't have it.

Jeff

18. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

John Lennon's Last Holiday writing his last album. Yes could be a great film.

theMess likes this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would like it to also include the Milk and Honey songs as well, and the songs that he demoed but never used.

20. helter

helter Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.