New John Lennon release on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleroadie, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another big cubed outtakes box. I think all his regular albums are already well represented.

Jerquee and anthontherun like this.
  2. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

I'd like the Nicky Hopkins keyboard overdubs from the live at the Lyceum version of "Cold Turkey" grafted on to the studio version of "Cold Turkey" to make a cool new version of the studio track.

3. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

For some reason I had that backwards in my head. Perfect then...I need no more Lennon unless they came out with new Live material or something interesting

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

That would be fantastic!

5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The MFSL cd of Double Fantasy, an earlier (better mastered) cd of Milk & Honey, DF Stripped, Menlove Avenue and JL Anthology are all necessary additions if all you have is the signature box. The last 2 CDs in your box are not well mastered. All other discs on this short list have wonderful tracks not on the core albums. And of course, add your JL cassette demos boot of choice.

31 years after its release I still play 'Menlove Avenue' all the time. It is simply wonderful.

6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I was just thinking I'd love to hear The Lost Lennon Tapes again. I don't have any of them besides the songs that came from the shows. Like many other Lennon lovers, they're an important part to our 1980's radio listening habits. Seems like the 1980's have come back around. I'd love to have these in my collection.

7. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I agree, the DF sessions and demos are another clear candidate for a comprehensive super deluxe edition. Listening to the 'Bermuda Tapes' app released a few years ago just underscored the need for something bigger and better (and more accessible). As you point out there have been a few alternate versions and out-takes from these sessions already released but they're all over the place and need to be brought together in a more coherent manner. Here's hoping.

Sean, pobbard, picassoson and 2 others like this.
  8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd say this would be a great order to things:

1) Live in New York City (2018)
    -Expanded album and concert Blu-Ray, rehearsals, any other Live/TV recordings from 1972, and the three Elton John tracks as bonuses.

2) Lennon 1980 (2020)
    -Bermuda Demos, DF outtakes, the best Dakota demos (best sources)

3) Menlove Ave. (2022)
    -Expanded to include all the "Jesse Ed Davis Tapes", as well as the studio cut of "Baby Please Don't Go"

Jerquee, Sean, pobbard and 7 others like this.
  9. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I have the signature box, anthology, Lennon Legend compilation, Acoustic, MFSL imagine from 1984, originaly US vinyl of plastic ono band, imagine, mind games, walls and bridges, rock n’ roll, doubke fantasy, shaved fish, and live peace. Also the live peace and imagine dvd’s

I SHOULD pick up a Menlove Ave, thank you. Milk and Honey / Double Fantasy I never play because I only enjoy the John material, and can’t listen to the Ono tracks with a straight face.

Sean and linclink like this.
  10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

A re-release of the quad mix, or an all-new 5.1 mix would be cool. Or both, like Jethro Tull does.

Billy Budapest and Shawn like this.
  11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Isn't the full tape that Yoko has more than 2 songs?

I'd always assumed it was just the 2, until they mentioned on the satb podcast that the full tape has additional songs beyond the 2 heard in the excerpts we have.

12. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Whats the satb podcast ? (stones and the Beatles??). Never heard there's more than two songs myself. Either way, that at least an excerpt wasn't included on the Lennon Anthology or Beatles Anthology is mystifying and "they" just missed the 60th Anniversary.

13. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Something about the Beatles podcast, hosted by Robert Rodriguez and ( until recently) Richard Buskin.

When they mentioned the full tape had additional songs, it made sense to me - the 2 excerpts we have are just the standard clips they play at auctions. While still not good quality, the full tape will sound better than the clips and feature more of the show. Wow - just think - 1957 era John Lennon stage patter!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

his new release will be called "beyond the grave"

15. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Yeah. Didn't Paul say John was a bit drunk when he met him. Be funny if John berated the Church Fete audience telling them he was going to be bigger than Jesus and getting his girlfriend up to sing a number.
    On a slightly more serious note (C sharp) , why is this tape being kept ? The thought of it being cooed over by a historian with elbow patches and no interest in the Beatles in 200 years time saying "now too fragile to play but worth billions to fine art collectors this musical recording is thought to contain the earliest performance by the inventors of popular music, The Beetles whose name was curiously misspelt in contemporary documents."
    if this was a jazz item, this would have found it's way out somewhere. The sound quality is an irrelevance. Should have been the opening shot in Ron Howards disaster epic - the tape on a Grundig tape recorder playing in the spot where they played with Paul walking in to the picture saying..."this is where I first heard John play. He said, you're not changing that, it's the best line in the song..dooh."

Lostchord and lennonology like this.
  16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Perhaps they will also include either a new cut or the Gimme Some Truth documentary of the Imagine sessions remastered in HD for Bluray. It’s amusing that after complaining so much about the constant camera intrusion during Let It Be project (RS interview, 1970), John brought them into his own studio the following year for similar purpose.

While Imagine sessions footage has seen released in few forms, the Let It Be footage remains locked in the vault....

17. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Were the Milk and Honey sessions multitracked? If so I'd love to hear John's tracks remixed.

18. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

There are tons and tons of unreleased Lennon recordings and videos but books and kids' bed linen seem to be the preferred cash grab for the custodians of his art.

Sean and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  19. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Couldn't they remix Milk & Honey, perhaps add some instrumentation of John's track...or did they do that already?

I thought DF was the start of a trilogy so perhaps part 3 with John's versions of Fire As a Bird and Real Love included.

20. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yes...exactly.....might as well talk about the 2 virgins 3 cd box set with bonus stereo hiccups and scratchy 78 reconfigure and blu ray holigram for the entire night.....

21. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

My childhood dream is a de-yokoed version of Double Fantasy + Milk and Honey with a proper track order, possibly mastered by Hicks & Magee

Jerquee, Carserguev and Michael like this.
  22. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I would just get the MFSL Gold CD of Double Fantasy and the original Polydor CD of Milk & Honey and burn a CDR of just the Lennon tracks. I really like my copy.

Jerquee and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Check out the Lennon Box Set. The 4th CD is exactly what you're looking for.

CD4:
    1. (Just Like) Starting Over
    2. Cleanup Time
    3. I'm Losing You
    4. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
    5. Watching The Wheels
    6. Woman
    7. Dear Yoko
    8. I'm Stepping Out
    9. I Don't Wanna Face It
    10. Nobody Told Me
    11. Borrowed Time
    12. (Forgive Me) My Little Flower Princess
    13. Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him
    14. Grow Old With Me

[​IMG]

musicfan37, Jerquee, ted321 and 10 others like this.
  24. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Thank you, I wasn't aware of it. This should even be a good mastering. Pity that it was not a standalone release.

25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I think it had some mastering problems, including use of No Noise, so more recent masterings of these songs are much better. I've got this box set and it is a handy way for me to listen to John's songs without Yoko on those last 2 albums.
    Look here for some reviews: 1991 John Lennon Box Set

grandegi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.