New Johnny Depp movie "Transcendence"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I've seen the trailer for this twice at the theater. It looks pretty good. I'm a sucker for the subject matter so I hope its good. Anyone heard any buzz about it?

2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Here's the 2nd trailer for those unfamiliar:

I will definitely go see it, it looks interesting and I have a ridiculous crush on Rebecca Hall. :D

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, the trailer looks pretty good. I hope it does better than the last couple of Depp movies (Lone Ranger and Dark Shadows)...

4. Ghostworld

My only fear is that it looks a little "familiar." Honestly, I think Morgan Freeman is starting to scare me as a liability because of overexposure as the wise voice of reason.

chilinvilin likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just got the the BD steelbook of Dark Shadows, a keeper.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Take my advice: keep it in the steelbook.

Jackson likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

image.jpg

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This movie was filmed in my little town here in New Mexico.

SBurke likes this.
  9. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

To me, Movies like this, that look good, are taken down a notch by having a big famous american actor as the lead. Having a very well known actor, kinda takes me out of the mood of the movie.

An unknown or far lesser known actor, might have worked a lot better for keeping one in the suspension of belief

SBurke likes this.
  10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I generally agree, although in this picture he looks like some high-ranking executive (at the start), so perhaps the associations triggered by a famous face appearing in that role will be less jarring.

The trailer looks as if it could be pretty good. But it isn't easy to make computer processes compelling and suspenseful, because they are not visually demonstrative. (At best they flash lights, like the dashboard computers in "Star Trek.") So what we often end up getting are humans breathlessly telling us what is happening: "If he gets to the Internet, he'll end up copying himself worldwide!" OMG!!! Or we get cliched visual cues like progress bars, with a tense hand holding a mouse in the corner of the frame

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

People need to get over this "name actor" thing, if you can't suspend disbelief because an actor is acting in a movie then you probably shouldn't be watching movies in the first place. If a name actor wasn't in the film, it never would have received financing and been produced.

MoonPool, robertawillisjr and Karnak like this.
  12. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Looks totally hokey......

13. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

looks ok I'd watch it, big name actors as leads don't bother me

14. Ghostworld

Finally saw this. Absolutely hokey. Every cliche in the book. Ludacrist situations, terrible plotting, lousy pacing, full of holes, zero suspense. As bad as a b-movie scifi film from the 50s. Yak yak yak ... Bad science and bad writing. Acting was good but the Material....flat.

15. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Is it anything like the Lawnmower man?

DreadPikathulhu and Walt like this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Disappointed to hear this, but its what I expected from the previews. The subject matter intrigues me, but every preview I saw looked as if it was done by Michael Bay, with big whiz-bang effects and whooshes and dramatic shouted lines. There's no reason a movie about this has to be done that way, but if you're gonna involved Depp and Freeman and a big budget, the producers will want to dazzle audiences, not try to actually get them to think about the nature of consciousness and humanity.

That was campy fun. "Transcendence" looks as if it intends to be serious, so if it comes off hokey, that's not a good thing.

17. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

That's disappointing news. Sci-Fi as a genre has been in the toilet for so long I'm beginning to believe we've seen the best it can offer...

18. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Hope it's good and he doesn't just turn up and do his 'look, I'm acting' schtick and take the money.

smilin ed likes this.
  19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Are you still posting about Transcendence or the Nolan Batman films? Wally Pfister worked on all of them.

20. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I saw it last month (day prior to Record Store Day, actually). It was like Max Headroom meets Lawnmower Man.

21. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Ugh...

22. Bad....bad movie. Too bad as it had potential.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

No. Take a few years off first.

25. Ghostworld

"This total barely makes a dent in the big-budget film's production expenses, which came in at a massive $100 million. "

What?! The movie looked like a low budget affair! Wow, I'm shocked. There was one set of the "medical" lab that was decent, but nothing else to even suggest a big budget. It looked distinctly 70s low budget!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.