New Johnny Depp movie "Transcendence"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Probably went to cast and producers, director as well as for some of the visual effects.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

According to Depp's IMDB page, Pirates of the Caribbean V: Dead Men Tell No Tales is high on the development list, co-starring Christof Waltz as another pirate. I think Depp is reeling after having four bombs in a row, which is not good even for actors aiming for an "artistic" career.

3. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I actually quite liked TRANSCENDENCE. Went in not knowing anything about it, and found it to be
    an intelligent, thoughtful sci-fi piece, not all lasers and explosions. Kinda reminded me of 70s SF like
    ANDROMEDA STRAIN and such.

MoonPool likes this.
  4. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Interesting.

That's exactly the kind of Sci-Fi I love the most.

At least that's one positive comment.

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

So this a movie about the dangers of technology and computers that cost over $100 million to make because of the CGI? Reminds me of Fight Club and how it is about the dangers of consumerism yet the movie ticket and then the DVD weren't free. :D

allnoyz likes this.
  6. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Hahaha...:D

Post of the year!

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Movies like this generally cost this much because of the above-the-line costs: producers, directors, writers, and actors. Johnny Depp does not work cheap; I bet he was $25 million out the door. Add ten producers, three (credited) writers, five or six (uncredited) writers, and everybody else, and I bet that was more than half the budget right there, before a single frame of film was shot. The CG is much, much cheaper than you think. I bet it wasn't even $20M.

wayneklein and mikeyt like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Except the Andromeda Strain had the ring of truth. It risked being boring by playing the science so straight. Transcendence had the ring of horse manure all the way.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, just watched the Blu-ray tonight. This is the best-photographed, most beautiful sucky movie of the year. Terrible, terrible, terrible plot and characters. In the spirit of the late Casey Kasem, I yelled "ponderous, man! F'in' ponderous!" at the screen at least 10 times, to no avail.

PH416156 and Maggie like this.
  10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I liked that internet had to be shut down.

PH416156 likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I disagree a trillion percent...very enjoyable movie. loved it!... EXCEPT the blond chick did bug me...I was hoping she'd be vaporized...the propaganda was disturbing but, that's par for the coarse these days...

12. Michael

lived life before it...so, it would be OK, but the power outage that went along with it would be devastating.

13. Michael

yes, Johnny probably was the highest expense.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

:eek:

Michael likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And god knows, it wouldn't be possible to wipe the drives, reload the operating system and "reboot the internet" again. This is yet another movie that perpetuates the myth that the internet is a single thing, and that all the propagation servers are all running the same OS. It's not true. It's like saying I'm going to load a virus that kills every telephone in the world, or a virus that shuts down every TV set... not gonna happen. Too vague. The infrastructure is too vast and spread out too far for it to happen in the way depicted in the film.

Launching nuclear bombs... sending nanites through the air to alter people... that I could actually believe. Shutting down the net for 5 years? Not gonna happen. I could buy it being down for 5-6 months, especially if somebody cut the cables at the central connection points in NY, London, LA, and so on.

BTW, the weirdest thing in the movie for me continues to be Johnny Depp's bizarre accent. Is it American? Is it English? Is it something inbetween? He's got the weirdest affect of any actor in Hollywood at the moment.

16. Michael

LOL! I was JUST talking with my wife about this! I cannot stand his broken UK BRITish/Keith Richards accent...it is quite annoying...

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

One aspect of the movie that no-one has been talking about as a factor in its failure is the editing. IMO, it's a mess. Several scenes are cut in such a way as to make the actors seem as stilted and laughable as possible (especially the talented actress playing Depp's wife).

There's one scene where are character lifts what we later learn is a heavy object and all the other characters look on in astonishment. But the direction, photography, and editing do NOTHING in that shot to convey that the object is heavy. It looked like I could have picked it up. But then someone says, "it weighs 500 pounds!"

Vidiot likes this.
  18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The wife and I watched this the other night....it was laughably bad. It also confirmed to me that Depp is a pretty bad actor. He's terrible. In the same league as K. Reeves.

19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I Skynet is coming sooner than we think. Skynet is the virus.
    5 to 6 months? half the world would kill themselves especially the techies and facebook junkies.
    A Emp pulse strong enough would do it .

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's not what happened in the movie. They claimed it was "a software virus" unquote. Very technically ignorant. It's a bunch bull, made to sell a very, very lame idea.

The essential movie's message is "technology is essentially evil, and if you give somebody access to too much technology, they'll get power-ad." Silly. I can buy that somebody could take down the Net, but not for five years.

Can you believe that bizarre accent? What's up with that? Whatever happened to people just talking in a normal voice -- in this case, like an American college professor and scientific genius?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  21. Michael

does your wife like Johnny?

22. Michael

can one accept that fantasy/sci-fi movies are just that...FANTASY? If one tries hard enough nearly EVERY friggin movie/TV Show ever made can be picked apart and challenged, but IMO it's not all about that...it's about having fun and escaping for a few hours...ppl just don't know how to have fun anymore...it's seem to hate is the way to go these days...never has there been so much negativity in the air...whatever happened to Peace & Luv?

23. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Certainly Rebecca Hall who is British was trying to sound American. If they were hanging out together discussing their parts maybe they started exchanging accents. Who knows?

24. Michael

the gifted will survive...you know the older generation that grew up with NO TECHNOLOGY so to speak...DAMN, ppl may have to read a book! a book? what's that?

25. Michael

no, Johnny's fractured Keith Richards accent goes back to/before? Pirates Of the Caribbean. I read somewhere in an interview with Johnny that he used a fractured Keith Richards voice for Pirates...he even took the look...sort of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.