New Judas Priest album - "Firepower" (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sentient Six, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

From this week's Billboard 200 chart report:

At No. 5 on the Billboard 200, rock band Judas Priest roars with the group’s highest charting album ever, as Firepower bows with 49,000 units (48,000 from traditional album sales -- the act's best sales frame since 2005's Angel of Retribution bowed with 54,000 copies sold). Like Byrne, Judas Priest's bow was bolstered by a concert ticket/album sale redemption offer.

Firepower surpasses the group’s previous chart high, logged with 2014’s Redeemer of Souls debuted and peaked at No. 6. The two sets are the veteran band’s only top 10 efforts, though the act has been charting since 1978 with Stained Class (No. 173). The group collected its first top 40 set in 1980 with British Steel (No. 34) and its first top 20 effort with 1982’s Screaming for Vengeance (No. 17).

The new album was ushered in by the single “Lightning Strike,” which has so far peaked at No. 21 on the Mainstream Rock Songs airplay chart. It’s the band’s highest charting single on the tally since way back in 1982, when their classic hit “You’ve Got Another Thing Comin’” peaked at No. 4.

2. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Well deserved :thumbsup:

Matthew Tate and The Hud like this.
  3. Chop

Chop Forum Resident

Saw the show in DC last night and had a ball. Rob sounded great. Setlist had something for everyone. New guy was no Glenn but was still good. If you like this band at all you will have a good time at this show.

Todd W., KDubATX, Doggiedogma and 7 others like this.
  4. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

Yes....and bring in the material too!

5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I don't know man...I hear Glenn all over this album. Yes, Richie is doing all the flashy stuff, but there are lots of fills and textures that are all Glenn.

6. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Album arrived today and production & sound are fabulous. Some great tracks on first listen

Can someone tell me though..... I know I lost touch with Priest over the years, but when did King Diamond join the band?? Pops up all over the place!!

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd say King was very, very influenced by Rob and Priest in general.

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I was just having a wee jest...

I was fortunate that (the late) Gordon (Gungi) Paterson - sound engineer for Priest amongst others - was a friend of the family and I was fortunate as a result to see and meet Priest many times up to and including the Painkiller tour.

However they were always a band I admired (and liked) more than loved. Great, great live band though......

9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

This could very likely be the best Rock album released this year.

I thought Priest were retiring after the last album ("Redeemer Of Souls", which I loved)

I was surprised to hear a little while ago that they were releasing something new and touring again.

Good for them, as this is one terrific album and it sounds like the current tour is going well. I'd like to see them in Oshawa next week if I can score a ride out there...

**** out of 5

Nice to hear a damn fine "new" Rock album at a time when they're scarce as hell...

[​IMG]

Cool cover too!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  10. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

a good to great rock album and one in which the players really seem to have put effort into production, riffs, lyrics, song structures - great stuff!

Matthew Tate and Metalrob like this.
  11. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

If there was any justice we'd be hearing a few of these tunes on Rock radio right now like we used to hear "Living After Midnight", "You've Got Another Thing Coming", etc...
    This album could have a broader appeal if it were brought to more people.

12. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Although i do have a few tracks from British Steel and Turbo, and i really like Rob's voice, i've never been able to take Priest too seriously.
    I've listened a couple of times to this new lp but nothing grabs me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

Final picked up the cd and heard it on its entirety in the car while driving too and from work. It's one of them few cd's in which the brickwall mastering works for that album. Travis' drums are up from in the mix providing a sonic assault, enhanced with Robs fine vocals and Ritchie's great riffing. I'm skeptical that Tipton's contributions were very limited due to his illness. Regardless, Judas Priest new album Firepower is its best albums since Painkiller.

14. ian christopher

great mixing on the drums indeed!

I was listening to Fates Warning's latest album "Theories of Flight" - the compositions and the playing are fantastic, but the snare drum is nearly silent/invisible - really takes away from the drive and propulsive power of the otherwise great songs.

Matthew Tate and WhoDaresWins like this.
  15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I just got back from a Firepower signing Judas Priest did in NYC. The band showed up in a FDNY engine. Glenn was there and Rob hugged my wife when she said she was afraid she was going to pass out. Very cool.

[​IMG]

Photo from instagram

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Both Corrosion of Conformity's No Cross No Crown and Black Label Society's Grimmest Hits are also very good..........IMHO

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Well ive just ordered the LP along with unleashed in the east, painkiller and angel of retribution remasters.... will report back on the remasters... i have a NM uk Painkiller first press and AOR on CD

tinnox, Metalrob and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Here is what I came away with:
    [​IMG]

19. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Love this disc! I dug Redeemer as well, but this one is a lot better. Faves are:

Firepower
    Lightning Strike
    Never the Heroes
    Rising from the Ruins
    Spectre
    Traitor's Gate
    No Surrender
    Sea of Read

20. ian christopher

my favorites too - I don't necessarily always skip the others, but the songs you've listed are the ones that make for a great listening experience.

lenny nero likes this.
  21. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

How was the attendance to this? Nice seeing Glenn (Hendrix shirt!)

ian christopher and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. ian christopher

have their been any setlist changes yet, switching out a song or two?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

AOR is great on vinyl

Metalrob likes this.
  24. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Sounds good its a cracking album... i will probably end up getting the Sin After Sin remaster as well for hopefully a classier bigger sound

Metalrob likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yep tonight they dropped Angel and played Green Manhalishi. Glenn joined at the end and played the encore of Metal Gods, Breaking The Law and Living After Midnight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.