New Judas Priest album - "Firepower" (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sentient Six, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To be honest...I didn't like the Redeemer clip which preceded the Album and I feel much the same over this.
    You cannot judge it tho on 15 seconds...simple.
    The artwork is...disappointing for me. A mish-mash of Screaming and Painkiller.
    Ohh for the days of Killing Machine and Stained Class artwork....(hoping the songs are half as good as well...)

Metalrob and Count Orfloff like this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You mean like on Redeemer of Souls? Yeah, I do...can't wait for FIREPOWER!

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The reason why I disliked Redeemer was exactly the lack of tunes and hooks. The songs just seem to go nowhere. Just my opinion of course, I'm glad a lot of people liked it.

4. I hope people read the link I posted from KK's Steel Mill.
    Although I like Andy Sneaps work...(Arch Enemy, Megadeth) I'm not to sure his thoughts on digital v analog recording will go down well here.....

Metalrob and Pouchkine like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

you mean this ?

What do you think of analogic recordings and no compression, which has the best sounds?

A lot of people that get into this debate don’t really understand it. I don’t miss the days of tape AT ALL. A lot of times you had to settle for second best and I remember wearing tape out, the top end going, cleaning the heads constantly, bad batches of tape, re aligning the machine….

People that hark on about it I think are talking about the approach and feel that tape forced you to adopt because there was no other option. When people talk about Digital, a lot of the time they are referring to how tight and clinical you can make things now and not the actual sonic quality. For me, I actually prefer hearing things coming back exactly how we are laying them down rather than less top end, more low mid etc that tape gives you. All those harmonics tape gives you are cool, but if I want that, I’ll use something to give me that, there are plenty of tape simulations out there that are really good.

Analogue had compression, all the sharp transients that you don’t lose with digital were gently squashed with tape so it’s a balancing act. Modern day recordings should be loud but not totally slammed. I find limiting adds a glue to your mix, which it needs and it is similar as to what tape used to give us. But a lot of those old analogue albums don’t really stand the test of time, it’s the fact the songs are so good we still enjoy them and we’ve got used to hearing them a certain way. Production changes with time, trends and technology, the same as music.

D.B. and Curveboy like this.
  6. Yes.....

7. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Terrible comments. At least in the case of Judas Priest we are used to bad mastering and bad sounding albums.

Opeth likes this.
  8. Only on CD tho....

Pouchkine likes this.
  9. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

The artwork is so retarded. For the last 35 years, Judas Priest has made a conscious effort to downgrade both music and lyrics. I consider Painkiller to be their worst effort, so abysmall it sounds like cheap german powermetal. Saw them in 2015, an arthritic performance by a seriously tired band. Priest is cabaret.

10. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Yes, sadly Priest went dumbing down their music, lyrics and artwork since the early 80's to appeal for the mass teenage headbangers crowd. Can't even imagine these are the same guys who gave us Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin after Sin.

11. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Hey guys, Merry Christmas!!!!!:hugs:

Metalrob, Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Really? To me it’s a masterpiece.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's the official video - the song doesn't exactly rock my world...if Lars Ulrich reviewed this he would probably say it's "stock metal".

Stormrider77, DoF and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Not too bad.

15. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Sounds like Screaming For Vengeance era.

16. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I dunno. Nostradamus had great lyrics and an absolute blistering lead single (the title track), yet people complained about that one too. Bands as big as Priest can't appeal to everyone. The last couple albums find them looking to appeal to a broader audience, albeit in a more fleeting, superficial manner. Can't say I blame them given that more adventuresome albums (or albums in general) don't sell.

The new track sounds like a mix of Defenders of the Faith and Painkiller. Not bad.

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Those two LPs are very good I lean a little more to ROS but are both good, I am so looking forward to Firepower can’t wait, saw JP with wife in Baltimore at Pier 6 on last tour awesome night had by all.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'm on for the new Album & i like the new Single , hoping for even better tunes through the Album , from what i read they chose Tom Allom to produce this & it certainly nods back to those days in a way , can't wait to hear more .

19. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I feel Digital has yet to Create that Great rock/Metal sound of the past , to me it's due to how recorded guitars sound on tape , just pushing them past the 0 mark into the + 3 to +6 Realm is a sound unto itself ................

driverdrummer, scottp and Metalrob like this.
  20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Not bad, but it sounds pretty much like Redeemer of Souls to me. It'll probably have a DR5 too! :p

Davidmk5 likes this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The mix sounds light years better than what was on Redeemer...yay!

Davidmk5 and Yam Graham like this.
  22. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Sounds like Priest, looks like Priest, alright by me!!!

23. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I am happy they keep the flame burning, gonna see them for the first time live this spring with Megadeath, hope they’re gonna play more classics

24. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

The production sound exactly like the last few accept albums.Andy Sneaps productions always sound the same no matter what band witch is boring as hell.They are listenable but very modern and unpersonal.It is not exactly like you here the tapping of the instruments.Tom Allom is probably hiding somewhere in the studio:hide:. Anyway...hope for the best and i am still gonna buy it!

DiabloG, Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.