New Judas Priest album - "Firepower" (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sentient Six, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

No signed LPs - actually that's what I was most looking forward to - they are selling signed drum heads. I bought the Live InFinite LP from amazon ($27 instead). And, for my taste, I really wasn't impressed with any of the shirt designs (either DP or JP).

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Gonna give Firepower some fresh spins after not being enamored with it at first. Hoping that it will be more to my liking this time. What would you all say are the best songs from it?

4. paradox55

paradox55 Forum Resident

Best songs? A bunch:
    Rising from Ruins
    Spectre
    Traitor's Gate
    No Surrender
    Never the Heroes

5. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Traitor's Gate is one of the best songs Priest has ever done and easily the best song on this album. It's got 134 plays on my iPod.

Rising From Ruins is the next best song, there's some subtle stuff going on in the verses that is enhanced by listening on headphones.

Spectre is a really interesting and unique sounding song for the band.

Firepower and Lightning Strike both work really well to begin the album, partially because they're smartly very short songs.

The whole album flows really well and I'd be interested to know how they approached sequencing it.

6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah it's a solid album. I like the whole thing. I'm not too fond of Children of the Sun, but it has a killer bridge.

Purple and George Co-Stanza like this.
  7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

It sounded a little better this time around, but still not sure I am totally buying the hype (for lack of a better term). I agree that many of the songs have the classic Priest vibe, especially in regards to the riffing and Halford's vocals (sans the really high stuff), but the solos and melodic moments, while not bad, are just lacking. To me, the cool thing about Priest was that they could do a balls to the walls metal song and still have a kickass solo or guitar lead that would have an awesome melody (think Exciter with that killer guitar lead in the middle), and that kind of stuff seems to be missing from this album, or maybe they just haven't grabbed me yet. I do need to listen more, but that is what I have noticed.

DiabloG and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

You hear it on vinyl - MUCH better detail in the sound. :)

SizzleVonSizzleton and Grohlfan like this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Spectre may have actually cracked my top 5 favorite Priest songs...I have to give it some thought. But holy crap does it blow my mind every time I listen to it.

10. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Saw them on the 27th of September. What a great show. Delivering the Goods & Desert Plains. 2 of my favorites. My kids loved it. They are ready to see them again. hahaha Me too really.

11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Everybody still diggin' this album? I know I am. I think it is the best album of 2018 and a Priest classic. Time will tell on the latter.

12. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I am. Still the album of the year for me too and I was not a Priest fan before. This album and Halford's Winter Songs turned me into a Priest fan! Since Firepower came out, I have bought 7 Priest albums.

13. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I think we can say safely say it's a Priest classic. It stands very well next to their classic works in my opinion.

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Love this album. It's still my favorite Priest album since Painkiller.

15. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Yep still sounds fresh to me... and i am rapped that Priest will be playing in Australia next yr for Download... i will be there for both shows with bells on!!!!

16. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

This isn't saying much, now if you said best album since Screaming, they'd have my $.

17. artfromtex

Best album since Defenders. Better than Painkiller, Ram It Down and Turbo.

18. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Firepower could easily have my vote for my favorite album of 2018. Was listening to "Spectre" the other day and like it as much now as I did earlier in the year.

19. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

This is just my opinion, but I don't think there has been a great Priest album since SFV until this one. There have been some great moments, but not great albums.

I always hated the sound of the drums on Defenders or I would have allowed that to be my cut off point.

I never understood all the love Painkiller gets. It's definitely a nice bounce coming off of Ram It Down and to a lesser extent Turbo, but everything is a far cry from the classic era from Turbo foreword until Firepower.

Firepower could be the followup to SFV easily.

20. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

No. I never could get into it. Just seemed like metal, nothing special. I've tried by listening many times, but it doesn't sink in. It sucks cause I spent like $30 on the album.

Doggiedogma and artfromtex like this.
  21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’m not playing five times a day as I was upon first hearing it but absolutely an all time Priest classic! Brutally strong material!

artfromtex likes this.
  22. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Play all their albums several X a year.

Great band!

Some of the fav bands
    Priest
    Saxon
    Venom
    Tank
    Motörhead

To just name a small handful

23. artfromtex

I agree with you on everything, except for Defenders. It's "sound" never bugged me and I love almost all the songs.

Agree about "Painkiller" being overrated as a complete album. It has a handful of really strong songs surrounded by a lot of mediocre material. Not a complete album at all. "Firepower" completely smokes it!!

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I think Painkiller is ruined for some because of the cheesiest lyrics however I do consider that one a classic. I do sort of have to be in the mood to listen to it. For anyone that saw the tour in around 2005 I thought the Painkiller songs translated very well live.

Doggiedogma and artfromtex like this.
  25. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Just listened to this album again the other day on a walk and I still love it. Halford still gives me chills with the way he delivers a lot of these vocals, especially on Traitors Gate. Such a great album.

Curveboy, FVDnz and artfromtex like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.