New Judas Priest album - "Firepower" (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sentient Six, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think this is a general issue full stop with modern digital recordings...they are all very samey.
    At least it sounds better than Redeemer....mixed better.

Pouchkine, Metalrob and Davidmk5 like this.
  2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I hope not , but it's probably what will happen ..... I Pre-ordered the Vinyl .....

Yeh Redeemer had great songs , production was not good , judas priest self producing these days not a great idea , glad they brought in some producers .

warewolf95, Curveboy and Pouchkine like this.
  3. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

Just watched the video. Pure cheese. Priest now definitely sound like a second league german power metal act, they should join the Nuclear Blast roster. The video itself is cheap beyond cheap.

4. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Rob still has the chops but that video was kind of cheesy. I have always disliked the fast camera movements and quick cuts.

5. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Didn't Priest always come with a bit of cheese though......

Yam Graham and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Oh, it's so easy to be down on this kind of thing; you know, down the line, unapologetic Heavy Metal - I mean - how dare they?

So many folk are so desperate to loosely condemn, trotting out the same old hackneyed phrases: "generic," "cheese," etc, often suggesting the replication of thirty or forty years ago is the only plan when in my 'umble opinion, as a generally pure Heavy Rock 'n' Metal bod, there's absolutely vast goodness in the later works of so many of these denizens of The Creed and to pretend otherwise is literal ignorance.

If you liked 'em in the first instance (i.e 1970-maybe '84) then Accept, BÖC, Diamond Head (sporadically) Deep Purple, Iommi (one way or another [ahem!]) Rush, Saxon and UFO have all produced moments of ufettered jaw drop in the last two decades and across large numbers of releases.

Yes, there's some tedium but let's not allow rose tintedness to afflict true objectivity which is an M.O I suspect some cannot, or will not abandon.

For my own part, re 'Priest, I was a big fan of both their '00 epoch albums and Nostradamus especially was a stellar example of a band experimenting, even if there was a label pushing behind the scenes because in the final analysis and as per the immortal words of St. Hubbins, "they wrote this!" Well, whatever, this record and even parts of the last release contained some genuine smelters with movements absolutely in keeping with - albeit in an evolutionary context - what was recorded all those years ago.

If they had a nadir, it was for me the material of the mid-late 80s which (a) sounds awful, like so much tat of the period and (b) was creatively feeble in the extreme - I know Painkiller was supposed to be some big renewal but it remained mired in 80s, studio spangle and title track aside (which is/was phenomenal by any and all standards) remains largely united only with the dust in my collection.

Someone mentioned 'second rate German Power Metal' as a tag to affix to some of their material but to me, only the period I've mentioned really 'suffers' on this score because before or after, 'Priestwerks were either too creative or seminal - Defenders Of The Faith was one of the best pure Metal records and is still spun with relish by Y. Truly and the records in 2004/5 and 2008 had real echoes of the melancholy not heard since the mid 70s, albeit with a modern (but not in a bad way) Heavy Rock production.

I've banged on about the Bruce Dickinson solowerks, elsewhere and don't apologise for conflating his and Halfords' independent outings from 1990 onwards because in both cases (again, in my 'umble opinion) lurk melodic heaviness and sheer writing flair (plus performing vitality from people known to tribes of gypsies, it must be said) that (a) define a far more consistently high standard of utter magnificence versus their 'mothership bands'' total catalogues and (b) possibly in moments of firing crescendo, probably eclipse ruddy great tracts of what both were doing beforehand, certainly in the 80s.

(This doesn't mean 'classic 'Maiden' fails to remain as some serious mutt nutt pie but I'm merely saying what I honestly feel.)

So yes, BD's last three records easily override anything by 'Maiden in terms of Total Heavy Music and things like Crucible almost certainly evaporate the memory of most of 'Priest's, er, painful 80s section.

Oh and the Halford's voice going is merely the latest in a long line of pipesmiths who should have taken up sheeran shearing in the early 80s; I think dear old Ronnie James would have been pensioned off after Long Live Rock 'n' Roll by some voters...

:uhhuh:

Right, I'm off to hit some guests.

D.B., Anthrax, Curveboy and 6 others like this.
  7. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I just have to mention this....The german metal band Primal Fear have always been extremely influenced by Judas Priest and doing it well.But because they are not JP they have their own sound.But the Priest of the last 10 years and very much the new song sounds like JP sounding like PF when they try to sound like JP! That is weird somehow.o_O

8. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Ehhh, think it was said best up above with a Lars quote "stock metal". Lyrics are a bunch of gobbledy-gook, random "metal,evil" words thrown together with not really any semblance of making sense or telling a story. The solo sounds nice, the chorus is catchy enough but it still stinks of Priest trying to portray what they think a heavy metal band should sound like instead of just being themselves. It's Judas Priest dumbed down again. I'll always have respect for the band and will buy the album and probably catch them live again since it's a good tour package but I really hope the album presents stronger material than this or it'll probably fall into the listen twice and forget about it category.

9. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I wouldn't say their 2008 album was stock Metal but I 'get' the Ulrich swipe.

However, if you're looking for academic points by slating the lyrics of much of the 'recent' content versus much older writings by the band, other bands or non-Heavy outfits, good luck because such analysis may mistake literary prowess for musical catharsis.

Most non-Rock/Metal songwriting contains wordsmithery and painful regurtitations on the subjects of "yeah, girl, love, mm, mmm" plus assorted grunts and groans that are so banal, they immediately elevate random Metal and 'evil' sentiments into the stratosphere of high art.

No, 'Priest are unlikely to repeat the high watermark of 'Sad Wings, agreed but I'll generally take even 25% of that type of cheesecake than the overwhelming majority of apparently popular, contemporary music.

On the other other hand, solitary tracks like 'Gates Of Valhalla' could even drag LPs like Turbo up to a much loftier plateau.

The reality is that some of the most phenomenal standards in the whole ouevre are characterised by lyricism most English Literature teachers would baulk at.

...which is kind of the point - this is music - not necessarily 'creative' writing.

Ultimately, it's erroneous to accuse 'Priest of hammering away at the archetypal Metal template because they were so critical in its classical birth: the carping about the transformation from flowing chiffon to black leather and spikes to cater to that army of 13-18 year old orcs during 'NWOBHM' is farcical because it was this band who unleashed the aesthetic to begin with.

'Priest went from Heavy Rock to Heavy Metal and it's possible to love both concentrations but of course, some folk simply don't like classical Metal.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  10. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

[​IMG]
    Just ordered this preorder...
    Can't wait to hear the rest of this when it comes out!

Davidmk5, Paul L, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  11. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident

VinylMario -

Where did you order this from?

tinnox and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

tinnox and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Here is a preview of the waveforms...

[​IMG]

14. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

What source did you get this from?

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Flac from PledgeMusic...if you order the new album you get an instant download.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

17. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

I see. I ordered mine thru Century Media Germany. Mine did not come with a download...

Curveboy likes this.
  18. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I'm new to the Priest universe. I dig the new song.

ribonucleic, Purple and Curveboy like this.
  19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

The new Priest sounds great ,people should appreciate new music from a band that has been around so long and sound so good most bands with their tenure don’t put LPs out they just tour to collect a pay check, enjoy the new music and appreciate that they still kick ass and put on a good show , I can attest to that saw them on their last tour. Classic metal long live the Priest.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

that's awful, another CD to be played car only

Metalrob likes this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's 2018...that looks better than most. And with Andy Sneap involved it sounds better than most.

22. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Big fan of the latest track. It kills and the production is perfect.

Not bashing anyones opinions but Priest seem to be a band that cant win no matter what they do.

Make something experimenta and noone likes it. Make something that sounda like classic Priest and they are accused of laziness.

Cant win. :/

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Sorry if this was posted. Song is killer.

24. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I loved Nostradamus.........so I'm not in the camp. As I have said before, Redeemer was a nice return and this song posted below kicks some serious butt.

25. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

Some folks on this board may not like it but this is Priest at it's weakest. So generic it is safe to say that Halford and Tipton can write a dozen of such albums every year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.