New Kendrick Lamar album, "DAMN". 14th April 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moth, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

As of right now, over the dozens of listens I've given it, I think I gotta rank it above Good Kid. Maybe that'll change, but I really do think this was an amazing effort. Very accessible, like Good Kid, but with much more layers to peel back. Even more so than any effort thus far, it is open to lots of different interpretations, you can definitely tell as soon as you talk to someone else about the album, or read a review of it to find someone get hit with one of the many different concepts on this album differently.

Contrary to what most of the detractors of this album say, I think K-Dot has definitely grown on this project. Maybe not in a way they'd like, but he's definitely hitting new territory on it. I think Fear or Duckworth are my favorite tracks, but really I love them all. Another unexpected release that ended being golden project. Gonna give it a break now, after listening to it almost everyday since it was released.

Btw, kudos to Kendrick for his album going gold(whatever that means these days) in the first week it was released. Super happy for him, and wish him all the success in the world. I think, for now, he can put his FEAR. about being a Job to rest.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

DAMN. I just scored tickets to see KL at the Tacoma Dome in August. I got pretty good seats and they were DAMN expensive! I am DAMN excited!!

3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I just got tickets for the Oakland show today! I tried exactly at the time they became available and all the normal ones were already "sold out" :(

I ended up splurging for expensive "platinum" seats since I don't want to miss him.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  4. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Never have heard a song, never want to...
    wish I could say why but I would be most certainly suspended.
    Allow me to just say a very bad experience w/ him personally at discogs.

broshfab4 likes this.
  5. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Do go on... :rolleyes:

6. Maranatha5585

Sorry Frix, can't do it....
    I love SHF, but the truth hurts, and I am not going to pay his price and loose this great place to discuss and share with my friends.
    So, he is bigger than ever now... well, sometimes we all have our time in the sun... even him

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Kendrick lamar.

on discogs.

uhhhhh.......sorry boss, that's gonna require some sort of elaboration.

8. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

Makes perfect sense. I won't listen to Elvis Costello because he sold me a sports car that turned out to be a lemon.

9. Maranatha5585

Yes, absolutely... but can not elaborate.
    Respect SH, and his best of the best music forum.
    Tried like heck to not post... but censored myself amazingly.
    You like the music ... fine. Enjoy.

10. Maranatha5585

Wow... EC (?)... something like that, but discog's intervened when they saw it all...
    over the Dylan "Fallen Angels" test pressing LP. Been at this 20 years before he was ever born.
    I think U2 said it best : " the truth is not the same .. without the lies you made up"

That's all folks...

11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I won't listen to Jimmy Page. I gave him a couple of blintzes to paint my fence but he never did it.

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Ok, so Kendrick Lamar was interested in Dylan's "Fallen Angels" acetate. It all makes perfect sense now.

13. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Hey Now!

14. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

Not to pile on but maybe we can get a gort in here to pre-grant Bruce immunity so we can hear the story and (I have to assume!) get to the bottom of this misunderstanding / case of mistaken identity? I gotta know!

15. Maranatha5585

No way Argyle, please let it go... I'm out of this.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

FIRE!!!!

Uh, see you guys later...

MikaelaArsenault and scotth like this.
  17. I don't like it when rap albums are using pop elements in the beats or the singing
    I much prefer when they use funk/soul foundations

18. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

finally coming around to KL... he hadn't left a strong impression, save for the performance on Colbert a couple years back. still haven't given TPaB a proper listen on the stereo, favorite track is probably "Alright" (great track), but wasn't really compelled to listen over and over. kinda lose interest in the sprawl of the album (Butterfly). sure, not

picked up DAMN. at Best Buy today and listened through twice.. dig the production a lot, it's immediately groovy/accessible. love how the beat pops out on "LUST.", the sing-song vocals on PRIDE., lovely (warped) piano samples throughout (can't speak on individual tracks). was surprised at how quickly the album transpired (couldn't believe it's ~55 minutes!) - the beats are excellent, it'll take me weeks to unpack the lyrics. suppose i needed this

19. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Over 50 year old who listens to mostly rock or indie rock. Brought my daughter this CD and happened to listen to it on repeat in the car. I'm hooked ! This is a fantastic album end to end. It's a real grower. I prefer it to his previous album by a long shot. Even if he has a low discogs rating !

20. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Nice! It did take me a couple of listens to grow but I'm hooked. While I still prefer Butterfly as it's just purely sprawling and an artistic masterpiece, I feel like this one will be played more just because it's a less challenging listen. It's just a great album, and all of the songs are top notch. The type of album where each song is like it's own little vignette, where Butterfly was more like the story being played out through the whole album. I'm glad Kendrick did something kind of different to follow up Butterfly; instead of trying to make another epic, he makes a straightforward hip hop album that blends some of the old influences with modern production, and I'm very glad it worked.

21. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

Just received DAMN. vinyl in the mail yesterday. It came with a signed cover and T-shirt. :D

22. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  24. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Thanks. I just ordered too. This is not the signed LP though ?

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

got mine a few week ago. it's a good pressing. but my DAMN shirt is way too DAMN big, and the first DAMN time I wore it I got strawberries all over the DAMN thing.

mschrist and brownsugah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.