New laser assembly for my SACD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Electric, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage Thread Starter

I have a 7 year old Marantz SA-7S1 that needed a new laser assembly after No Disc errors on certain SACDs. All CDs played fine.

Since the repair SACDs play fine now but almost every CD I play skips and never in the same place twice. The discs play fine on my Oppo. The service man was in my neighborhood so he dropped by and looked at each CD and found a particle of dust on each one. I could see it when he showed me where. So I clean the dust off and then it usually skips somewhere else. This was never a problem in all the years I had the player. I find it hard to believe that such a very minor speck of dust can make a disc unplayable, and only after a laser upgrade. Even a new CD taken right out of its case for the first time will skip. This can't be right?

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I think the lasers get fussier with age.
    As their effectiveness diminishes it takes less the knock them off course.

My Denon 3930 rarely plays the SACD layer on hybrid discs these days, though every once in awhile it will co-operate for a few days then get stubborn again.
    Am grappling with whether I should fix it or replace it.
    I would think your Marantz is worth the repair.

Which Oppo do you have and how does it fare against the Marantz for SACD sound quality?

3. Electric

It's the new laser that is giving me trouble on CDs.

The Marantz was worth the repair.

Oppo 93 BD player. No comparison in sound quality. The Oppo is a toy, IMO.

4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

There is often more to replacing an optical pickup than simply installing a new one these days. Many times it requires calibration with a test disc and software program. If your tech is not an authorized Marantz repair firm, he may not have access to that.

pscreed likes this.
  5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Try hooking your Oppo up to a nice DAC, like a Bifrost from Schiit. That's what I did, to my 83. No more toy. Sounds rich and full.

6. Electric

He is an authorized tech depot for Marantz and listed on their site.

7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

In that case, he should have the knowledge and resources. I'd tell him he needs to redo the job because a speck of dust on a CD is not the cause of the skipping issue.

8. Electric

I tried to tell him that. Do you know technically what I should say?

9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

That the optical pickup needs to be recalibrated or the new pickup is faulty and needs to be replaced. If it was specks of dust you would have the same issue with SACD discs, so obviously dust is not the problem.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't know about the Marantz, but I have replaced the optical block in my Sony. The service manual says that the player will self-calibrate the laser assembly, and I would be very surprised if the Marantz does not have the same ability. The method for the Sony was to put a disc in the tray, close it, and power off the player completely (unplug the cord). Then plug it back in and turn it on. You could try that.

Electric likes this.
  11. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I had the same happened with my Denon 2930, it would not read some SACDs. I took it to an authorized shop here in Los Angeles, they told me it needed a new laser assembly which was not available, I asked for the part number so I browsed around in the internet, found the part (20 dollars including shipping), took the player back to the shop and 100 dollars later (including the part) it's working flawlessly.

Electric likes this.
  12. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I replaced the pickup in my Oppo 83 a year ago. I didn't any sort of calibration. It is still working great. I wrote up what I did here.

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Did the same!

14. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

There is a bias, height and voltage adjustment involved with laser replacement; if not performed, or not performed properly you will have the problem you describe

Electric likes this.
  15. Analogman

I won't and you are correct
    The repair was not performed properly; assuming you even needed a new lens
    Fine tuning can and often needs to be done on these machines especially after some mileage has been put on them
    I don't know what to tell you except that you need a good technician and or do the research and perform the adjustments yourself
    In most instances, bias and leveling can be done with a DVOM and a steady hand
    Sorry for your problems (machine worse now than before)
    Tell them you want your old sled assembly back, AND your money
    The machine is in worse shape than it was before they screwed with it so I don't think that request is unreasonable

Electric likes this.
  16. Analogman

I don't know the mileage (or age) on this particular machine you are having problems ; but another overlooked (as in never done, unless you do it yourself or are lucky to know/have a real service person available) service all these players need is a sled cleaning and lubrication (once every several years and about ONE drop of actual oil put on the right spots)

Also, many many machines manufactured for about a dozen years, right up and into the 2000s are subject to the chinese cap plague (but that's another story and not one (conclusion) to jump to; really hit the computer and monitor industry hard though)
    Still being downplayed and the results of it are still out there (no matter what the "industry" says)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Takes a long time for the problems to manifest, but you would be amazed at how many skipping, disc recognition etc problems are solved with basic service (clean and lube, adjust; NOT the caps!)

Always start there first

Electric likes this.
  17. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Sad to say, a simple 'certified repair' center may not automatically put you in touch with an experienced or communicative repair guy. Sometimes manufacturers will certify an existing subpar repair shop just to have an address in various locales.

I've run into this with Marantz and Pioneer.

I just looked, and apparently Marantz's previous repair center near Chicago (Servicewide) is no longer affiliated. Which makes your situation more arduous. All you can do is be persistent with the repair guy. In the process, it might be advisable to solicit help from the mfr: http://us.marantz.com/us/ContactUs/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

Sadly, the upscale products expire at some point, just like the budget models.

If Marantz SACD works properly, and you really hate the Oppo, the more economical solution (noted above), might be a new modern DAC for Oppo redbook. Some magical DACs out there for < $500.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  18. Analogman

I am sad to report that as far as MOST IC based, modern electronics go, manufacturers are not really concerned about repairs the way we used to know it years ago................most warranty issues are handled with exchange programs after the initial one for one exchange period is up, be it 30, 60, or 90 days............skilled labor available for this sort of repair work is just too far and few between, AND expensive, even if they could supply it (too expensive for their amortization formula)

Just witness the glut of "factory refurnished" stuff out there and you'll see what I mean

At one time merchants like K-Mart etc stocked their shelves with large lots of brand name "factory refurbished" items, especially televisions up until the middle 2000s when CRT sets were still prevalent

"Hi-end" you eventually have to mail it back to them (smaller component electronics), electronic giants like SONY, Marantz, Pioneer etc it goes to some depot for exchange..........few exceptions other than ginormous items like big screens....with those you're at their mercy and can only hope the guy they (or the store where you bought it) send out is competent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.