New Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Super Deluxe Set Plus Separate Blu-Ray release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I always presumed it was mainly time that prevented anything more than a 2-LP release back in the day; bear in mind that they didn't finish the movie until the spring of '76, then Jimmy and Eddie Kramer jumped straight into mixing the soundtrack album that April, finally completing it in August... two months before the release of the movie that the album was to accompany, it had to be finished in time to be released simultaneously with the movie, the latter of which already had a set release date from Warner Bros who were distributing it.

Plus, Jimmy was still wanting to release the chronological live album at some point, and maybe felt holding off on some tracks from MSG '73 for that live opus.

If Eddie Kramer had mixed both HTWWW for it's initial release and the expanded TSRTS in 2007 - and let's face it, he should have as he recorded the bloody things back in the day! - we wouldn't have needed newly-remastered reissues, because it would have been done right the first time and kept far away from Kevin 'Brickwall' Shirley, alas...

dav-here and Zep Fan like this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just got a confirmation email from probity in the UK that this new release is definitely the 2007 remix. What a wasted opportunity!

3. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

A four LP set in 1976, (nah) I don't think that wouldn't have sold well at the time. The average Zeppelin fan would have been between 18 to 25 so out of budget range for many, me included unless I bought no other music for two or three weeks, that wasn't going to happen.

4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Amazon US
    Super Deluxe $249.98
    Vinyl $149.98

Little higher than I thought, not sure if it is a buy for me.

superstar19 likes this.
  5. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

It’s not the end. There’s another live set coming. Page said as much.

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Again? I won't fall for it this time. I always listen to the original CD, anyway.

Paulo Alm and bradman like this.
  7. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

8. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

9. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

10. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

A pure 5.1 audio mix (or maybe the vinyl) is the only thing that really interests me on this one. There is already a re-master of the movie on BRD .

tonewheeltom likes this.
  11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

:thumbsdow

And this was the root cause of my angst a few posts back. Why base an entire super deluxe box on a revisionist, re-edited, re-imagined and poorly edited version of the original album? The only possible answers are: Jimmy considers this the definitive version or Jimmy simply does not care. Neither is the correct answer!!! But as I stated earlier, I am going with the latter.

If this box set "closes out the re-issue campaign" it should be based on the original 1976 album - period. :shake:

ceddy10165, Stefan, Paulo Alm and 3 others like this.
  12. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I might be a player on the 2CD/BRD set. I like the film simply for nostalgia reasons even though I thought Zep was pretty spotty performance wise.

13. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Well I just disagree. Fans who LOVED Led Zeppelin would just have come up with the money. I don't know who this "average LZ fan" is anyway.

For stuff that I really loved, I could budget and come up with the money.

Like I said, Chicago fans had no problem buying the 4 disc Carnegie Hall Set.

ELP fans happily bought the 3 disc live set. I purchased both.

Speaking of the Zeppelin affordability argument, when the initially released TSRTS on VHS in the 1980's, the price was $40, and that $40 wasn't a cheap price point, but they didn't cater to those with low incomes for that. Eventually the film price came down...

Haggis Wampovich and tinnox like this.
  14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I paid $80 for mine:hide:

15. Yes, like I said earlier, unfortunately, The Song Remains Replaced. He's lost the plot. Or, there's something about the original he hates.

johnny q likes this.
  16. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Wow, it’s amazing how little there is of interest for the hard core fan.

I have the 4-LP box set, and I don’t care for it. TSRTS is an iconic album - we played it to death as kids, and only the original track lineup sounds right to me. I feel the same way about The Who Live at Leeds. For some reason, those albums sound definitive and iconic in their original form, and like glorified bootlegs in their expanded versions. Maybe I’m just getting old.

I might buy it if the price drops - a LOT.

markp likes this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I expect it's a direct result of not wanting to redigitize & remaster the original 1976 release tapes. They took what they had audio wise for the movie and then used that as a basis for the audio only releases. Less work, faster turnaround as the work is pretty much done.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

He was probably too expensive :) I wonder if they had a falling out or something when Kramer tried to auction off those Zeppelin studio tapes he had. lol

But yeah he should've done it.

Mind you, it still would've been remastered just because it's part of the retail process. Still we'd have been better off I think.

20. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

21. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I am a big fan of Led Zeppelin but also being a big fan of The Rolling Stones and The Beatles it is hard to budget money due to the vinyl box set I just bought from the Stones and with the White Album deluxe not to far off it is tough to get everything I want but try I will, not to mention the Dire Straits complete studio albums is suppose to come out in July

22. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

£88 for the new 4-LP box when the initially-released 2007 version was around £60 an entire decade ago???

Jimmy sir, please don't take this the wrong way, but...

GTFO.

I never, ever thought I'd say this, but I'm done with Zeppelin until Jimmy actually releases something worthwhile and not a mere retread of what's already come before... the 2003 HTWWW still sounds better than the recent one - better clarity, more punch, less muffled, includes 'Hello Mary Lou' - whilst the 2007 TSRTS has problems all of it's own besides the mastering... either way, there's nothing in both releases to give me incentive to further part with my hard-earned moolah.

On that last point... damn straight; the 1976 album may not be perfect, but it's part of the historical record and should be kept available in all formats; if the newly-remastered reissue was the '76 album, I'd be all over it like flies on poop!!! The 2007 remixes should have been kept purely to the film and accompanying extra tracks.

And with regards Jimmy's involvement in the 2007 remix/reissue - both film and album - according to Kevin Shirley, Jimmy wasn't that involved in it at all, he showed up once or twice, but largely left in the the supervision of Robert Plant (who wanted Shirley to take out all his "baby, baby" onstage quips)... so you're right; Page probably doesn't care that much about it... and that's probably why they simply ported the new mixes for the film + extra tracks over to the accompanying album... nobody cared enough to devote time and energy to giving the album a proper separate mix, it would seem!!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I should have said "The average age" of a Zeppelin fan would have bee about 18 to 25. Anyway I would imagine a four LP TSRTS would have been about £10, my weekly income and most of my peer group would have been about £20. My budget spread was to make sure I had enough for 20 cigs a day, a couple of pints a night in the pub,( drinking age here in the UK is eighteen but many people those days would start going to the pub at age seventeen) petrol for my Honda and one or two visits to a nightclub, maybe the cinema, a concert. I probably only bought a couple of albums a month back then, buying a double was a stretch, a triple "Yessongs" for example was no no, far too expensive.

eddiel and luckyno13 like this.
  25. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Exactly.

johnny q likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.