New Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Super Deluxe Set Plus Separate Blu-Ray release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I think they could have gotten away with a three record set back then, especially with SIBLY and Heartbreaker in the film but left off the 2 record set. It probably could've fit on three any way:

Side One

Rock and Roll
    Celebration Day
    Black Dog
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Since I've Been Loving You

Side Two

Over the Hills and Far Away
    The Song Remains the Same
    Rain Song

Side Three

Dazed and Confused

Side Four

No Quarter
    Stairway To Heaven

Side Five

Moby Dick
    The Ocean

Side Six

Heartbreaker
    Whole Lotta Love

Unbalanced to be sure, but what are you gonna do?

The Hermit likes this.
  2. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I always wondered about the length of "No Quarter" on the original TSRTS. Even with the full guitar solo it seems a little scant compared to most live versions. Was the band actually keeping it in that 12-13 minute range in '73? By '75 that would have been really abbreviated.

3. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Jimmy's just doing his bit for our balance of trade. Britain needs the cash!!

4. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

So I got the email from Led Zeppelin.com. Says LZ conclude their reissue campaign..... is that it for the 50th Anniversary? HTWWW and TSRTS soundtrack?

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

No,The 50th is set to begin with the new.Whatever that will be we are still waiting to find out.
    I thought they would have followed the pattern and reissued the 2003 retitled as Blu Ray,Obsolete Medium or something goofy.

6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

the last reissue of it is unplayed over here ... life is too short to endure long self-indulgent guitar and drum soloes

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

almost as pointless as the umpteenth Doors reissue...

Jack, cement_head and Doggiedogma like this.
  8. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

9. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

No, my understanding is that the “reissue campaign” started back in 2014 with the John Davis-remastered album re-releases, then continued with the Davis-remastered re-releases of Mothership, BBC Sessions, HTWWW, and now concluding with the presumed Davis-remastered version of TSRTS. (Celebration Day was originally mastered by Davis, so I guess they’re saying it doesn’t need to be remastered and re-released as part of this campaign).

The 50th Anniversary releases, whatever they are, will be anew campaign that will begin to be announced after the reissue campaign ends.

Murph, superstar19 and supermd like this.
  10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Pats Radio likes this.
  11. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

HTWWW looked okay, but not for $100+ dollars. I have the original CD and the Burn Like a Candle bootleg (completely unedited). I'm looking forward to "new" old stock - something we've not seen as an official (cleaned-up) release...

12. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

No offense intended, my friend, but I take everything Jimmy Page might say with a grain of salt. I believe he's been promising a solo album for years now and so far as I can tell, nothing much has transpired. I'm glad there are some optimists on this thread who believe there will be some new previously unreleased live recordings within the year, but I'm really not holding my breath. I think it's more likely there will be a newly remixed/remastered/re-release of the 2007 02 gig over anything we might be pining for from the vaults.

jay.dee likes this.
  13. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

Weighing in again...
    For me, I always loved the original TSRTS, warts and all. Where else could one listen to Since I've Been Lovin You, criminally omitted from the original 2 lp release?
    I was so excited when the 2007 re-issue was announced, and hugely disappointed when I viewed the re-edited video, huh? Now it was more obvious than ever that the visuals simply did not match the sound!! I don't know who the wunderkind was who decide to just link any random shot of Jimmy, et al., playing with the audio file, but it was intellectually and emotionally jarring to me. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    If indeed this is based on that 2007 clusterf*ck, count me out.
    And I buy everything Led Zeppelin!

14. PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin Forum Resident

It seems you forgot the reason the soundtrack matched the film in 2007 was due to legal issues not because Jimmy doesn't care or is a revisionist. IIRC Zeppelin doesn't even own the film.

dav-here likes this.
  15. I'll just say that Jimmy's stalled solo career and Led Zeppelin's legacy couldn't be further apart from each other.

16. But, he didn't have to release it.

17. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

thats what i want to see.
    I'm pretty sure the mastering will be different. judging by the comments here it cant get any worse than the 2007 mastering.

also i see dazed is on just 1 lp side this time. that can be good and bad. did he edit it more? did he extend the side a few minutes? i prefer the 1side version even if it is slightly edited.

no quarter should easily fit on 1 side in complete form. however the 2007 mix is edited. will be interesting to see if its exactly the same here.

i am going to wait on this one until the reviews.

bobcat likes this.
  18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

1973 was the first year they did no quarter. the versions were about 14 or 15min long. It wasn't until 1975 and 1977 they extended it to oblivion.

dee likes this.
  19. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

For me, the new mastering, if it's good, will be the selling point.

pinkrudy likes this.
  20. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Ah, so Robert had Shirley slap a harmonizer on the theremin and a phase shifter on the intro to Stairway, plus a bunch of other clumsy stuff that makes no sense whatsoever.

Jimmy never used a phase shifter in the beginning of Stairway, from the first performance in Ireland in 1971, to the last at the O2 in 2007. My guess would be he just rubber-stamped the whole thing to get it over and done with. He was more into getting Yardbirds '68 to sound good, if you ask me.

Don't agree at all about the original How The West Was Won being better in any way over the John Davis version, but you're right about the original E. Kramer mix of TSRTS -- it should always be out there (plenty of clean, used copies to be had as well).

Seems to me that keeping the audio-only mix separate from the mix for the movie would have been easy, but we're left with this lazy, neither-fish-nor-fowl compromise that doesn't please anybody.

21. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I don't even care about the mastering. I all ready own too many versions of this album. I have an original Swan Song vinyl, The Classic Records release, the 2007 expanded CD and the 2008 expanded vinyl. I don't even really care for the album. I'm staying away from this one. The only song I really ever liked was No Quarter. The rest of the songs never did much for me.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You forgot Thank You

Zep Fan likes this.
  23. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Yessongs was suggested retail $12.98 when released in '73. I guess a mythical TSRTS triple would have been $15 or $16 in 1976. They're similar in some ways, both are pretty fancy for mid-'70s rock records, the Yes having a booklet as well as being a thick, double gatefold, and the Zep having a textured sleeve and a nice booklet as well.

I wish this new TSRTS took a departure from the standard for 21st century Zep vinyl releases and used the same format as David Gilmour's Live in Pompeii, two double albums in a heavy slipcase w/artwork, booklet, etc. I might actually pick it up at some point if that were the case, and the price was around the same as Pompeii (which isn't exactly cheap). But for $150?? No way.

24. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean in terms of quality, I certainly agree with you.

25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

$12.98 was a nice chunk of money in 1973.....I remember my Dad taking me and my Sister to Tastee Freez for $.15 ice cream cones around 73.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.