New Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Super Deluxe Set Plus Separate Blu-Ray release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

I do hope this is a wind-up.

2. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

Another LZ reconfiguration I won't be buying. Liked the remastered studio albums with the bonus stuff, but I lost interest after that. I'll keep my old Diamant fatboy of TSRTS. Definitely don't need the DVD, I didn't buy it back when I actually had a DVD player, certainly have no use for that now. I'm waiting for some actual new live material on CD, that I will buy.

3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Zeppelin wasn't a very prolific band, though top 4 favorite of mine. I'm only mildly excited about the supposedly unheard sh!t supposedly coming later this year. Zeppelin live sets didn't vary much over the years and Plants power was gone by 73. When (never gonna happen) it becomes wide consensus that this new TSRS sounds a lot better than the original LP, I'll take mild interest. The bootleg that circulates (TSRS fan edition)is my go to copy for video purposes. For audio it's the Diamante and the original LP...

MusicNBeer and ebro like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've read, and re-read the Official thing, have it up on another tab right now, and still have to ask...

There won't be a 9 disc set with Blu rays in place of the 3 DVDs ? The Blu ray will be standalone ?

Grippy likes this.
  5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Fret not, it will be ridiculous like the last release.

6. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

I’d have preferred an unedited deluxe edition of the whole 3 night run at MSG. That’s the multi track recordings that we know they have. It will never happen of course.

7. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

I have the 3 disc matrix version of this that was posted online years ago where someone added an audience recording of Thank You to the end to make it a complete show. They used both the original CD soundtrack that Barry Diament mastered with the original 70's mixes and the 2007 remixed version and used whatever mixes they felt were superior, then re-EQ'd the whole thing so everything sounded similar and continuous. Since that's the version I've been listening to since and the 2007 mixes sound way better on that than how they were mastered on the official set I think I'll pass on this unless this new John Davis remaster sounds even better than the bootleg remaster I have.

superstar19 likes this.
  8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Probably the same one as 2007. I ended up doing a splice of the film version and the one from the 2003 DVD. Tonal quality is slightly different and I had to put some audience under the 2003 part, but it'll do in a pinch.

Also edited together a 2 hour 57 minute version of the film with all the songs in relative order, overture, entre 'acte and the picture of the dove on screen after the end credits. Did an extended No Quarter blending film and soundtrack versions (worked out OK) and Moby Dick using a lot of the material from film and soundtrack, getting it 14 minutes...but not enough footage to cover it. At least with Heartbreaker I was able to take out all the stuff about the robbery and put it first, then cover it with forward, backwards and slowed down footage.

latheofheaven, anth67 and ledsox like this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

There will be a separate 2CD set and a separate 4LP set.

dee and malcolm reynolds like this.
  10. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Aside from the atrocious edits, the 3 bonus tracks sound like they’re from another planet. What a disaster. I can still recall being absolutely stunned at how horrible and unexpected it was.

Mark7 and MusicNBeer like this.
  11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

That's how it looks to me. The only way to get the BD is to buy it separate.

dee, Grippy and Myke like this.
  12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Hmmm......I'm not sure what I think about this. I guarantee this is going to be big $$$.

13. And did we tell you the name of the game, boy? We call it "Riding The Song Remains The Same, Gravy Train".

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I've never heard the original mix of this album and was hoping we'd get it in this package. Guess not. I'll still buy the BD, though. If it's anywhere close to the $16 that HTWWW was, it's a steal.

Also, to clarify and see if I'm reading it right, the BD will be audio-only with the exception of footage of the bonus tracks?

Myke likes this.
  15. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Interesting, have to see the price on it and a stand alone vinyl set.

supermd likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks, and that'll save me some $$$. Already have my 1976 vinyl, and the 2007 Blu ray. Sold the old 2 DVD set years ago.

I just now saw the word "separate" in the subject line. I'm too old to be trying to multitask between this, and an expanded White Album, and messages on Facebook, trying to find someone to pick up my prescriptions. :help:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    dee and Grippy like this.
  17. eelkiller

The same thing they did with he How The West Was Won set. They correctly assume completists can be milked out of an additional $25 to $30 by keeping the Blu-ray separate.

Grippy and ODShowtime like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Or, they thankfully offer physical hi-res to people who don't need all the wasted vinyl and CDs in the deluxe set. There are different ways of looking at this.

I got to spend $16 on HTWWW and got everything I wanted. Perfect.

P.S. Actually, it was a birthday present, but my point stands. :p

jhm, Jimijam, dee and 4 others like this.
  19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

The Song Remains Insane...

Is this release necessary?

20. eelkiller

I agree the standalone Blu-ray is great for those of us who don't buy everything so I should clarify. The huge set should include everything considering the price. Some other artists have gone this route thankfully.

Stormrider77, dee, Grippy and 3 others like this.
  21. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I won't be bothering with this, already have the original CD, the 2007 version & the 2007 DVD.

I'm a bit gutted to be honest as I suspect this means we won't get the supposed 'surprise' live realise until Christmas at least.

22. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

I’m beginning to suspect that Jimmy Page is not a very nice man.

23. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

If the BluRay contains the audio segment complete in 5.1 separate to the movie I’ll get it.
    Already have the original pressing CD & DVD

danielbravo likes this.
  24. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

No. Hard pass.

25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

That`s what I was thinking too.But,not right away.Maybe next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.