New Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Super Deluxe Set Plus Separate Blu-Ray release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2018
    superstar19 likes this.
  2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I just preordered the Bluray Audio version. Curious how this one will sound.

dee and Zumbi like this.
  4. jrnyfn

jrnyfn Forum Resident

I'm not so much upset as disappointed. At least all of the other box set/re releases promised something new. This one portends to offer something new but really doesn't.
    Which is fine. It's their music, they can re-release it and repackage it however they want. I just think the entire reissue campaign was a missed opportunity. Compare it to the fantastic Pink Floyd vinyl reissue campaign or the Beatles Mono on vinyl? Or SRV or the Doors by Analogue Productions? The technology and expertise is there and Jimmy didn't go first class and he could have. It's a missed opportunity all around.

5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

GizmoKSX likes this.
  6. GizmoKSX

GizmoKSX Forum Resident

As expected, it's the same Kevin Shirley mix as the 2007 release. YouTube normalizes the volume, reducing it by 3.3 dB (right click the video and select "Stats for nerds" to see this yourself), so the actual audio track is that much louder than what you'll hear on YouTube.
    The new remaster (presumably by John Davis) is just slightly more dynamic than Bob Ludwig's 2007 version. In the EQ, I hear a little more top-end clarity in the cymbals and a little deeper bass from Jones, but it's very subtle. If the rest of the album is similar, it's a slight upgrade to the 2007 version, but nothing revelatory.

dav-here, bobcat, dee and 1 other person like this.
  7. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I agree. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I already have both the original and 2007 versions, so I won't be buying the remasters. I may, however, get the blu-ray audio release.

ODShowtime likes this.
  8. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I know this release has been met with--shall we say--mixed enthusiasm... but for those of us who are excited about it and who are interested in the Blu-ray Audio version (UPC 603497858927), Target currently has it up for pre-order for $21.99. (see link here)

Even if you're not planning to buy it, I'm wondering if everyone following this thread would still please take 1-2 minutes and go on Amazon to report Target's lower price (see Amazon link here) so that Amazon will match it for those of us who pre-ordered through them.

Here's how to do that in case you don't know: (1) Go to the Amazon link for the Blu-ray Audio version above or go to Amazon and type in the above UPC # in the search bar; (2) Once you're on the product's page, scroll down to the "Product Details" section and look for "Would you like to tell us about a lower price?"; (3) Click on the link and a box will pop up that asks where you saw the lower price, click on "Website (Online)"; (4) That will bring up several options that are pretty self-explanatory, such as copying and pasting the above Target link, filling in Target's price of "21.99", and filling in the shipping cost as "0.00"; and lastly (5) Click "Submit Feedback".

I have found that if a lot of people submit a competitor's lower price for a couple of days in a row, Amazon will usually match it, and with Amazon's pre-order price-match guarantee, even if Target's and Amazon's prices go back up prior to the release, those who pre-ordered through Amazon will still get it for that lower price. Thanks in advance for those who help!

Sean, superstar19, ODShowtime and 4 others like this.
  9. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm sure Amazon already has an army of robots doing the same thing, but it cant hurt and that price is a bit much. Thanks.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

What is best to do to get the deluxe version as cheap as possible? Should I pre-order it now from Amazon, or should I wait until it has been released?

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Go look at the prices for the last round of Super Deluxe Editions on both Amazon and Discogs. Take note of the price change from new to current. That tells you, generally, where pricing for this item may go. I'd do it for you, but the dogs need to go out!

12. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

Thanks, but I am not 100% sure what you mean. Do you mind helping me? :p I can wait until you return from your walk with the dogs! :)

13. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Preorder from Amazon and if you see it cheaper you can cancel the Amazon order.

14. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

I have looked at some swedish sites (I am from sweden) and all of them is more expensive then ordering from amazon, how crazy is that, huh? (That includes shipping cost as well!)

15. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

By the way, about the previous super deluxe editions....
    Is it only me who have them all with aesthetics damages just caused by the time? (Covers deteriorated, etc)
    And believe me I almost didn’t touch them.
    Anyone with this problem?

16. Can you elaborate on the deterioration you describe?

17. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

External “cracks” all over the covers (not only in one but in several already), like if the “material” of the external boxers are peeling

18. That’s strange. No a single issue on any if mine.

19. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I have the same problem with a Doors record. Front and back cover are bubbling,like the clear coat is deteriorating. The record is pressed in Spain.

RaulCF likes this.
  20. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

I’m really dissaponted. I use to be very careful with all my albums, my collections and Led Zeppelin is one of my top3 favorite bands. And to have all these super expensive deluxes editions this way....( Sad.
    I’m even considering any chances to repair the damages (dunno how).

21. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

That is sad,I feel for you. My Doors record has always been kept in a clear protective sleeve. I was a bit shocked when I last pulled it out. I have no idea if it can be repaired or not. We can’t be the only ones with this problem though.

RaulCF likes this.
  22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I may cave and buy the vinyl at some point.I still have about 2% hope some more from MSG`73 will appear on future compilations.

23. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

Sean and Aoide like this.
  24. 256 of my Canadian dollars? Nah, I'm good.

Further likes this.
  25. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

I do not care what it cost, I will get the deluxe version! I can't wait for this one! All I have is a early vinyl record pressing of this one that is full of scratches (not made by me, I bought it used!). I am going to pre-order this one on friday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.