New Leonard Cohen Album “Popular Problems” To Be Released Sept 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I agree. And I think his voice has gotten even better.

goombay likes this.
  2. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

Popular Problems is a fantastic record. I prefer it to Old Ideas, which was no slouch at all. Truly amazing to hear such a fine collection of songs from an 80! year old artist.

Laughing Len is one of the very, very few artists who has maintained a level of quality and musical engagement throughout his career. Also, possibly the only octogenarian who can sing the perfect double entendre lyrics of "Slow" and make it heartfelt instead of creepy.

And.... it sounds fine. DR of 9 ain't that bad, these days.

IronWaffle, botley and Jerryb like this.
  3. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

the vocals on the new record are totally outstanding. sounds like hes the Field Commander Cohen, invertebrate.

subtr and Jerryb like this.
  4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Except Modern Times is rubbish in whatever format, so DR means diddly.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  5. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

You are trolling Beenyboy:

You know perfectly well that sound quality is a legitimate discussion here.

And you are even trolling about music quality. Just because you think Modern Times is rubbish doesn't mean that everyone else should share your opinion. Yet you state your opinion of musical quality as fact.

And you don't seem to realise that DR is independent of format - vinyl can have high DR whilst a SACD can be very low.

Getting three things wrong in just one line is quite an achievement.

6. Huh? What ? Not rubbish sounding to these ears.

Jerryb likes this.
  7. MichaelCPE

I suspect that Bennyboy might be saying that because he thinks the musical quality of Modern Times is poor, he thus thinks that this album 'sounds' bad.

8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

I'm not trolling - I am pointing out that the fact that Modern Times sounds better on vinyl has zero to do with how Personal Problems sounds. And the way that Personal Problems sounds has zero to do with how other Leonard albums sound. Hands up those that have listened to PP and thought "this sounds great, but you know, I wish it sounded like X album"?

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Modern Times is a terrible album because the songs are pretty much all sand blasted into smoothness and are twice as long as they need to be. It's yawntastic dinner party Dylan.

10. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

Popular Problems.

IronWaffle, goombay and MichaelCPE like this.
  11. To you. freedom of choice. America is great. I love the album.

Jerryb likes this.
  12. MichaelCPE

The whole point of my first post here expressing disappointment that Popular Problems has is DR9 is because this figure tells me (without needing to hear it) that this album will not sound great to me (though it may sound acceptable). And my main reason for lamenting this is because his earlier albums with DR13 and 14 do have great dynamics, and I wish Popular Problems also had such good dynamics.

Science is all about understanding what you do know and have experienced so that you can make accurate predictions for what you don't yet know. You are deny the usefulness of rational thought and science, and proving that you have not understood anything I've written on this topic. I won't bore others with explaining things yet again.

13. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

popular probems in these modern times. both are beautiful records.:edthumbs:

Bemagnus and lschwart like this.
  14. botley

botley Forum Resident

Because science!

Last time I checked, it's supposed to be about repeating observations to create testable explanations in a controlled environment, and nothing to do with the "experience", as you call it, of art. Science is silent on the question of what you "experience" in a piece of art, despite whatever testable or quantifiable facts about it that you may claim to prefer. Phenomenology: that's a matter for critics and philosophers. Numbers are numbers, not experiences. You don't "experience" the album without things unrelated to dynamics... such as occasionally-misleading capsule reports about dynamic range, which the DR database is choc-a-bloc with and those can definitely serve up a healthy dose of confirmation bias. But hey, I'm no scientist.

SO DENIED!

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

There isn't a song called America on the album?

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I always thought America was pretty derivative although I did like Daisy Jane and Sister Golden Hair.

17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Don t know any album called personal problems with Cohen

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Honestly- your definition of science is weird .

19. MichaelCPE

Well it wasn't a definition of science - I was saying what it's all about and what I wrote applies in the example we are discussing.

I must admit that I'm rather shocked that so many here are back in the dark ages of experience without understanding.

But all this is getting so off topic that we should either start another thread to continue the discussion there or just leave things as they are.

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Ok, please start a thread called "Can You Tell How An Album Sounds Without Hearing It?" and see how it goes. Any quantum physicists in the house?

soundfanz likes this.
  21. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

'Personal Problems With Cohen - I Need A Better DR' is the audiophile version of the album

22. MichaelCPE

I never said I can tell how an album sounds without hearing it.

That you don't understand this goes a long way to explaining why this discussion has dragged on for so long.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I was in a record shop last week and heard the album, asking the assistant was that Van Diesel singing 'I got a funny look. Saying that it sounded very contemporary.

24. botley

botley Forum Resident

No, it does not. You are using a lay understanding of the scientific method that does not support your claim.

I'm shocked you passed any science classes.

No one would post in a thread entitled "why you're wrong about how good that thing you like is" — you delude yourself into thinking there's an argument to be won, here. So let's drop it.

25. MichaelCPE

Botley - The proof that you are trolling is that you insult me and say I'm wrong, yet fail to say why I'm wrong and make no attempt to put up a better definition or further the discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.