New Leonard Cohen album, "You Want It Darker" due Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

This will be the first vinyl I have purchased in years! I thought I had as many as I needed in my 1000+ vinyl collection, until I heard this one!!

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I did have to return my first purchase as the vinyl had minor defect on the inside grooves of one side. I wanted this album to be perfect. The second copy is great!

Bernie Grundman did a great job mastering this, I'm assuming it is a vinyl specific master cut from the 24-bit files...which is fine with me. This is well done.

Not sure why there is a vinyl vs. cd debate here. I'm glad to hear they mastered the cd well. Did Grundman master it too? I don't own a CD player, so I stick with vinyl for my purchases and most of them are done with care.

I've also enjoyed the mp3 for mobile use.

3. lemonade kid

It is just good music....who cares about the format?! I am listening to a damn fine MP3 download in some very fine SONY headphones--sounds great to me!! Will get the vinyl soon.

mikemoon likes this.
  4. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Haven't had a chance to listen to my white vinyl version but I got the CD shortly after release -- had to go to several stores and eventually deal with late arrivals from Amazon -- but it was all worth it. Hopefully I have good luck with the LP but need to get the turntable working again.

In the meantime it looks great! :)

[​IMG]

lemonade kid likes this.
  5. Just picked up the White Vinyl from HMV, cant wait to spin it

6. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I have this disc at home and haven't had time to sit and listen to it yet as it's not something I want to play while cleaning house. I'm listening to it on youtube at work for about the tenth time at the moment though.

lemonade kid likes this.
  7. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I keep playing You Want it Darker that I am worried I will wear it out in no time. So last week I bought a second BN exclusive white vinyl just in case :righton: (with another BN exclusive and the CD, I should have enough to bring with me to the retirement home).

lemonade kid, stunner2020 and Jerryb like this.
  8. lemonade kid

Wonderful! As good as Cohen gets.

I have the heavy weight vinyl...unlike many vinyl pressings (we hear so many horror stories of flawed vinyl right out of the shrink), this one is quite flawless and an enjoyable audiophile experience. A highly recommended vinyl release.

I have one complaint...the digital download site (from the insert card with d/l code) that comes with the vinyl is not to be found...anywhere. Too bad. Anyone else having trouble getting the digital offering? The site we are told to go to does not exist, or so it seems.

[​IMG]

9. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

No wonder vinyl sales are up

10. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The reason for the higher DR ratings in digitally recorded/mastered vinyl is that automated DR measurements can be affected by greater or lesser bass response in the source. Because CDs have greater bass response than vinyl and a much lower noise floor, the automatically-measured DR is often smaller.

Try it out yourself. Take any piece of music into Audacity and check the DR using the DR plugin. Then use the graphic equalizer and dial down the bass frequency. Then check the DR again. Depending on how much you dial down the bass, you might get 3-5 more DR points.

In other words, DR ratings are b.s.

11. lemonade kid

ah, but good quality vinyl doesn't really wear out...I keep playing my mono Rubber Soul from 1965--thousands of tomes--I bought it then AND it plays just fine still today

Man at C&A and stem like this.
  12. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

My vinyl copy played great. Not sure if it beats the cd but I like it better than the MFIT from Apple Music.

13. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Just gave my copy from Amazon a listen. It really sounds fantastic, it's incredible how large and detailed his voice is on some of these songs. However, I did have the dreaded non-fill on the last 30 secs or so of side 2. Hoping my replacement copy from Amazon is better.

14. lemonade kid

Mine is beautiful--great sound start to finish. Hope your replacement vinyl is perfect. On a side note, I will say that the bonus digital download link never worked.

15. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Been listening to my favourite album of 2017 (thus far) pretty constantly over the last 10 days while on holidays - The National's Sleep Well Beast - and decided to temporarily rest it by putting on my favourite album from last year (YWID). It blew my mind all over again. May have been helped by the setting - I'm in Crete in a place which in my head corresponds largely to Hydra: no cars; stunning mountain range overlooking beautiful, clear water - I stuck on the Shures, got a nice deep seal and hit play. Such a beautifully graceful, rich, classy work. I don't think it's possible to have come up with a more fitting sign-off. This one is carved from the heavens. I do most of my listening at home on the go walking to and from work and while my earbuds are noise isolating, they don't fully block out traffic etc so the impact of listening to this gem in this setting with no external audio distractions is enriching and near overwhelming. And that's just the content. As an aside, I'd forgotten just how good the sq is, even on the ITunes download.

His last 2 albums were mighty achievements: PP is loose, sexy, playful free while YWID is stately, spiritual, deep, rich, pure...

Fedoras off Lenny, you're my man...

16. lemonade kid

Well put...

17. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Released exactly one year ago today.Your thoughts a year later?

18. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Brilliant LP. I was hoping for a re=press to deal with the awful noise on the final track on Side 2.

19. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

It hasn't entered the blood stream yet . . . I may have had a bit too much of latter-day Cohen but we'll see what Time does.

Jerryb likes this.
  20. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

A masterpiece. :righton:

PhantomStranger and Jerryb like this.
  21. JudasPriest

A beautiful work and a friend for life.

adriatikfan and Jerryb like this.
  22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

IMO, it remains a terrific album and a fitting finale for a genius songwriter.

Have no idea how it became a "tradition", but I now listen to this album on my ipod while I food shop each week. So I hear it on a regular basis, and new things are still revealed with each listen. In my (often failed) attempts at being more at peace with the world as a whole, I have adopted "I do not care who takes this bloody hill" as my self-help mantra when little things (tailgaters in particular) get on my nerves.

anth67, keyse1, lschwart and 5 others like this.
  23. a true masterpiece in my view and my album of 2016. I only have the cd but i am happy with it

Jerryb likes this.
  24. JudasPriest

His vocal sounds so all consuming, so close to the mic...when listening on headphones it's a particularly powerful and near spiritual experience. Comforting too - he may be gone but his presence lives on.

driverdrummer, Jerryb and RayS like this.
  25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.