New Lightfoot remaster.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnT, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

So you go for the highest common denominator, meaning you find the song with the most treble and match the others to that? I hope not...

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know where you are coming from. I was also skeptical for a long time. But, I seriously think Inglot has at least been informed of the complaints about his projects. It probably bothers him that people have been saying all those negative things about him, and wants to eliminate that. He probably would like to be on the internet like many other of his peers but he is tired of being slammed at every turn.

Since I bought the America's Greatest Hits CD last fall, I have been slowly giving Rhino a chance again. They put out too much good music to ignore.

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Grant,
    I agree with everything you have said but I will never admit to that in public (Ooops!) Rhino puts out so much good music that I for one would love to have a positive impact on Inglot's remastering. Do you know how to get in touch with him?
    John

4. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Maybe I am being a bit too harsh. I just get a bit uneasy and smell "fraudulent" when I listen to a compilation and the oldest songs have the same balance as the most recent stuff and it sounds too uniform. It makes it sound like all the tracks were recorded during the same era, which they weren't. It spoils some of the fun, it becomes too technical, and it reminds me of equipment, not summer days long since past. I like when you can hear the sound of different recording venues and techniques as they were.

I did recently pick up the Rhino "The Essentials: Tommy James and the Shondells" and it sounds quite nice. And I'll take your word on the America collection, although there is yet another Rhino America collection out recently. I wonder which one to try? The older blue one, perhaps?

5. nashreed

nashreed New Member

I was wondering if anybody did pick up any of the new WEA/Rhino "Essentials" CD's. I picked up the Howard Jones one, but I haven't given it a proper listen- just at work. How are the Foghat, Ambrosia and (gulp) the Monkees sets? I have my eye on a number of them, actually. Hard to believe I don't have a Bananarama hits collection! I'm wondering though, how Bananarama and Bronski Beat are on WEA labels now? I guess the old London label inprint is part of WEA now.

nashreed

6. Grant

The man is totally inacessable now. How much criticism can one man take?

7. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Highly recommend "America The Complete Greatest Hits" on Warner Archives/Rhino R2 74375 Sound Produced By Bill Inglot. Compilation produced by America & David McLees, 2001.:)

8. Grant

They probably used the same masters. Get the blue one. But, the CD comp I referred to is seriously about as close to hi-res as 16-bit gonna get!:cool:

9. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Thanks Grant. And if I'm not mistaken, the blue one is the one with "Everyone I Meet Is From California" which was a B-side.

Are these the George Martin remixes which appeared on the original History collection, or are they the original album versions? I preferred the original versions.

10. Grant

It's your lucky day again! They are the original mixes. The George Martin mixes are strange!

11. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Would love to hear your opinion on Howard Jones - my wife loves him but my interest is more of an audio issue.

Thanks nashreed.

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I just scored second row center tickets to a Lightfoot show in Vegas in early August. Must confess, I don't have any of his stuff. What 3 releases do ya think would be the best for me to purchase first?

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

13. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Jeffrey, if you are considering only three releases why not consider the 4 CD box set. You'll have a great intro to his post United Artists stuff.

14. nashreed

nashreed New Member

John B,

I'd love to tell you that the Howard Jones "Essentials" sounds great- it does have a good track list (except it doesn't have the "hit" version of "No One Is To Blame"), but, damn, it is harsh. Those drum machines are shrill and it's very loud. I think I'd need a SACD player just to soften this one up. :(

nashreed

15. Jeffrey

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the advice:)

-Jeffrey

16. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Jeffrey,
    If you really get into Lightfoot, then also consider the United Artists 3 cd boxset of his first five albums. Sells for under $18.00 U.S. through HMV.com.
    Arguably his finest material.

17. Jeffrey

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the additional lead. I'm gonna buy both of your recommendations. I really appreciate the help. :)

-Jeffrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.