New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Audio_nirvana

Audio_nirvana Member

Thank you and the voltage converter may indeed be an added source of noise.
    But there are quite a number of used 508 for sale already in Europe. I saw some at hifishark and German classifieds, and like you said, these are 220-240v versions. Just this past week another used 508 is available in AudioAsylum USA for $3,700.

I'm actually looking at acquiring the 508, to have it alongside my 518, and I don't mind a pre-owned unit, that's why I have been scouring around used hifi classifieds. However, I'm still scratching my head why in the short time that the 508 has been in the market, there are these owners already selling their units.

2. D777

D777 New Member

Does anyone have experience or know if it is safe to purchase LM amps from AliExpress from sellers like Queenway? I worry about receiving authentic products and also about returns if necessary.

3. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Tone Imports will not support any units that are not purchased from authorized U.S. dealers.

SandAndGlass and GoldprintAudio like this.
  4. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Give Taylor from Goldprint Audio a call for your LM needs. You will be stuck with zero support if you buy from AliExpress.

Dave, Tlay and IanL like this.
  5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please don't purchase from a grey market dealer.....no guarantee of authenticity, and you will have zero support on the service side if needed (from Tone Imports or from Line Magnetic).

I'll be happy to help with any questions you have. Looks like you are in CA, so I strongly suggest giving Matthew at Pitch Perfect Audio a call, he can certainly help you out.

ceynon likes this.
  6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Ali Express itself should be safe because it's kind of like an ebay - they sell outside the Chinese market I believe. But you would certainly have to make sure you have the ability to return the item if it is not as advertised etc. Plus you have to probably buy a voltage transformer which in general sound worse.

So you see these lower prices but you are also taking risks to get the lower price. No US warranty, you have to use step up transformers that you also need to buy. Then because it's not the right voltage good luck selling it to anyone in the US. If you want it at a lower price wait for it second hand.

SandAndGlass and IanL like this.
  7. msommers

msommers New Member

How would most folks characterize this amp or it's close relatives the 518 or 219? Like Conrad Johnson warmth or more Audio Research analytical? Do these amps respond pretty well to tube rolling?

This amp is rated as 48 watts of SET Class A and I assume this is at 8 ohms? Does anyone have information at 4 ohms? Does it double down?

I'm seriously considering a pair of Harbeth SHL5+ (maybe 30.1 or 40.1 depending) and auditioned with a Pass Labs XA30.5 and it sounded pretty good but could have been a bit more lively, and thinking it wanted more power. Or Graham Audio LS5/9 if I can find anyone in Alberta.

8. msommers

msommers New Member

Not sure how to edit here...

But for folks who have used preamps, how do you know what the input impedance is? Especially for the guys who have got custom amps built (I'm thinking about getting one of those preamps as well from DS).

9. een

een Well-Known Member

According to the manual: Input Impedance:100kΩ

10. msommers

msommers New Member

Thanks! Line Magnetic got back to me as well. Their message:

"48 watts are the power output for LM-508IA no matter it is 8 ohm or 4 ohm.

Input impedance for LM-508IA is 100 k ohm"

Seems odd that you wouldn't get more power in 4 ohm like some amps. My Pass Labs doubles power exactly going from 8->4.

11. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

12. Audio_nirvana

Audio_nirvana Member

The impedance matching when you order from Don is not an issue, and it is worth noting that he will take into account the Power Amplifier that you will be pairing his Linestage with, he is very knowledgeable and patient in accommodating all your requests or queries. Just a bit of advice on the tubes: I ordered a quad of the Shuguang CV-181 as per his recommendations. No doubt they sound really good, but I already have 2 noisy tubes out of the 4. A better option in hindsight, would've been if I just order 2pcs or a pair of CV-181, then use another pair of 6SN7 tubes of my choosing. Only 1 pair serves as the main tubes, and the other pair as buffer. At any rate, the DS Model 2 Linestage is a definite homerun. All the best...

13. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Oh my goodness, vibraphone with this amp... heavenly decay.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I've had that reaction/experience with the 518 too. Bags is a treat!

SandAndGlass and JMAC like this.
  15. james

james Summon The Queen

Haha, me too

I listened to Bags and Trane so many times with that amp

IanL likes this.
  16. Richard Austen

Here it is - I'm not totally losing my mind. To be fair I generally have not liked any of the KT 88 amps I have heard including the 216IA. I prefer the 211IA

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. GoldprintAudio

OK....that makes more sense. I've not heard the amp that you have pictured above.

18. IanL

IanL Senior Member

That's not even a SET amp, Richard. How did you get those two mixed up??

19. Richard Austen

The amp is not I believe a SET amp and it is not made anymore according to the website since I can't find it on the website - but LM has similar naming conventions like 218 and 218mini and 518, 508 503 502CA (which to me means Control Amp but is actually a DAC). Both 508 and 518 are 845s and look similar. With the 218 and 518 and 219 already all 845 output amps I don't see the purpose of the 508 (this must be a newer amp).

I try to listen first without wanting to know if it is a SET or SEP or PP because I don't want my preconceived bias to get in the way.

It's always possible I will buy another LM amplifier in the future. The number one reason I sold the 219IA was its weight and the fact that the transformers can't be changed to western voltage. I refuse to use step up/down transformers (and I prefer the HK prices). But if in the future they add the dual voltage switch then I may look at their power amps.

20. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The 508 runs 805 power tubes, not 845's.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. GoldprintAudio

Also has completely different input and driver tubes.

22. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Taylor, how would you describe the difference in sound to the 518? Besides the extra power, which of course opens the doors to more speaker options. I imagine the 300B's change the character in the mids a bit. I've never heard any other gear that uses the same input tubes as the 508 either.

23. Richard Austen

Well I guess I'll have to make the trip out to hear it - Heck they've added a whole new 300 series. And a 217. Apparently, they've been doling out a whole slew of new amps. When i had the 219IA there were something like 6 amps and the classic series - they even have a reel to reel tape player! Which I must say I am interested in getting into.

Anyone have info on these cute little amps? LM-302PA

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  24. Richard Austen

Here is the 307CA matching preamp. I dunno I really like the look of this package if the price is not too nuts. Christmas present to myself.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Lee Seungwoo

Lee Seungwoo Active Member

I purchased 508ia 3 weeks ago.

Before then I had scrutinized information about 508 in this forum.

508 really satisfies me.

I tried swapping stock tubes(6sn7 & 6sl7) for TUNGSOL ROUND PLATE and MULLARD ECC35( produced in 1947).

The result was great. It sounds greater more than I expected to be.

Now, I wonder what the sound will be like when I swap power tube.

And I am considering to buy RCA 805.

Is there anyone who has heard RCA805?

If there is anyone, please tell me.

Is RCA805 worth buying?

Dave likes this.