New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Baaronj likes this.
  2. Molokoplus

Molokoplus Well-Known Member

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You need 50 posts in Music Corner, Audio Hardware or Visual Arts plus have been a member here for 30 days to access the classifieds section. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I dunno guys, the stock Line Magnetic-branded tubes in the 508ia are pretty good! I have to agree with Herb Reichart's analysis (of the stock tubes in the 518ia), at least at this point, 100 hrs in...

What a fun amp this is. And I have to really crank it to see those VU meters jump at all (which, of course, I've felt obliged to do)!

SandAndGlass, IanL and Snoflo1998 like this.
  5. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

I put my name on a 508 at a semi-local dealer. Going there next Saturday to compare the Leben CS600, 508ia and the 219ia. Based off what I am hearing it sounds like I would prefer the 508.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    JMAC likes this.
  6. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

Good to hear. Quality tubes are expensive.

7. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Those are some nice amps. Should be a lot of fun!

8. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The stock 518ia is voiced beautifully. However, improvements can be made across the board by rolling all the tubes. IMO, the 845's that ship with the 518 are totally decent. They display really beautiful tonal color.

9. Molokoplus

I'll have my 508 this week. Very excited. Anyone have any recommendations for a phono pre or a line pre with phono to pair with the 508? Need it to be MC cart compatible.

Currently running a rogue ares with upgraded sut to cinemag blues.

10. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd take a look at the Acoustic Plan Phonomaster SE. I run mine with a LM518 and love it to death. Automatically loads MC cartridges and can also handle MM. I bought a Teddy Pardo power supply for it, as their upgraded power supply is a tad too expensive.

11. Molokoplus

Thanks Erocka. Researching now. People really seem to be blown away by this phono. If I bought one I'd have to get a different finish on it though.

12. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Ok I'm ready to say it: this LM 508ia is amazing! Everything I've played through it--mostly vinyl, but digital and cassette tape as well--comes out captivating, with its individual character intact. It portrays the shape and detail of notes better than I've heard from other amps. It does seem to have a tonal character, but it's one that suits my tastes perfectly. It's a pinot noir, not a cab or a merlot, if that makes sense. I imagine tube swapping would tune that character to one's tastes, but I'm still rocking the stock tubes.

I do wish it had a mono switch and a headphone out, but those are minor things. It's magical.

13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great to hear you are loving the 508..... it is an extremely impressive unit.

JMAC likes this.
  14. Kim108

Kim108 New Member

Hi roboss38, I was crawling the web for Line Magnetic and found your post. I also see you are in Clovis which is quite a bit closer to Paso Robles, CA than say Miami. I am considering LM to replace my Preamp (Meitner/Musetex Pa6iPlus) and power amp(s) (custom 6L6 27WPC tube, Mesa Strategy 200WPC tube amp, Krell KSA-100 class A SS). I have a Modwright "The Truth"Oppo 105 (Mac Mini server) on the front end and driving a pair of Paragon Acoustic"Regent", (also have Linn Isobarik DMS, Celestion 66 Studio monitors). the Paragon's are a MTM 2 way with all Dynaudio drivers, 4 ohm, 91dB sensitivity, and weigh in at 150lbs per cabinet
    I am a member of the Central Coast Audio Club which is very active and have had such guest speakers as: John Atkinson of Stereophile, Keith Olson; Producer of Fleetwood Mac, Santana, Pat Benatar, Shawn Fallon of Mobile Fidelity, Richard Vandersteen, among others. You would be welcome to join us at our meetings sometime.
    I would love to hear the LM's, is there a dealer close by you or did you have to online order them?

15. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Heard one of these with some Devore 0/96's this past weekend. In one word - stunning! Really tempted to pick one up to pair with my Harbeth C7's.

loudwizard and IanL like this.
  16. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

You could huddle around the tube amp during the long Minnesota winter.

googlymoogly likes this.
  17. Kim108

Kim108 New Member

Wow! I like the "real old Navy " look, bet it really sings!

SandAndGlass and GoldprintAudio like this.
  18. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Just a heads up for anybody thinking about a Line Magnetic amp, there is a beautiful 211ia, their EL34-based integrated, listed on audiogon right now for less than half of retail. A screaming deal!

19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's going to make somebody very happy. I find the 211ia sounds like the tubes you put in it - put in good tubes, and its absolutely fantastic and outrageous for the money. From time to time I consider buying a different amp, but after a listening session I just put it out of my mind.

20. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

If it's the one that TMR has for sale, no clue where they got $2500 as the retail price. The 211 retails for $1750 when new.

21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Thanks for pointing that out. So, a decent deal, but not quite what I thought it was when I saw it.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  22. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Hmm. My 508ia has begun popping through the speakers on the power amp setting upon turn on (after muted warm up) and after turn off. I don't think it used to do that. It doesn't do that on inputs 1-3 either.
    What is this usually a sign of? Any experts?

23. Lee Seungwoo

Lee Seungwoo Active Member

I'm considering to buy 508ia. But I wonder if there is any shielding issue in this amp.

Can 508ia shield noise?

24. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I've been reading good things about the Shugang Black Treasure CV181z 6SN7 tubes--has anyone tried them in the 508ia or in another LM amp that uses 6SN7s? I'm not sure how important the 2 6SN7s are to the sound of the unit compared to the (more expensive) 300b and 805 pairs.

If no one has, it might be up to me to try...

25. Lee Seungwoo

Lee Seungwoo Active Member

I recommend Sylvania Metal Base (6sn7)

Anyway, how is your popping noise in 508ia?