New live album from The Who?? Quadrophenia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sweetdudejim, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seems like it according to Amazon. I don't think I've seen this around online, so I figured y'all would be interested in seeing this. Personally, rather than a 5 disc box (what?!?) dedicated to what is likely a recent performance of Quadrophenia I'd prefer a super deluxe version of Who's Next that collects everything from that era, or even reissues of all of their albums from Quadrophenia on, with the original mixes. Or a deluxe reissue of Who Are You. Or a solid rarities collection that picks up all of the random things that are really hard to find in their catalog.

And then, ya know, maybe a new Who album from Pete and Rog. Or at the least a new Pete solo.

And here's some links for you guys (and gals) to check out!

Quadrophenia: Live In London [2 CD version]

Quadrophenia: Live In London [5 disc version]

Quadrophenia: Live In London [DVD version]

PennyLanes likes this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Pre-ordered here.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I'd like to see a track listing

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I hope this is from the 2013 shows and not that one of show they did in 2010 I think?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

5 Disc Edition?
    from last years Wembley Arena show.
    my guess is:

1 audio CD
    2 audio CD
    3 SD DVD
    4 Blu-ray
    5 BBC Docs

6. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Just got an email from CDJapan about this. No track listing, but here's their description:

*The contents of this release will be identical to the worldwide release, except for SHM-CD. Features The Who's concert held on July 8, 2013 at Wembley Arena in London from their "Quadrophenia and More Tour" held from June to July 2013. This Japanese edition includes two SHM-CDs (compatible with standard CD players). Consists of a Blu-ray (video), a DVD, a Blu-ray audio disc, and 2 SHM-CDs. Comes with a description and a sticker. Packaged in a can with motif of Vespa head light. *Please note that Blu-ray audio disc is compatible with Blu-ray players and includes only audio tracks. It is not compatible with standard CD players. *DVD region is unknown.

Chris Haley likes this.
  7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I've seen some clips of this tour and without Moon and The Ox, Quadrophenia is just not as good as the 73 live performances.

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

i suppose the Blu-ray audio could be the original album in a full 5.1 mix,unlike the Directors box partial offering.

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up, hadn't heard about this. Suppose I will get the CD version, but awaiting more details as to what exactly is what.

10. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Bah, humbug! It's from one of the shows Zak couldn't play and they got in a Substitute (pun unintended). I love Zak's playing...

Fullbug and WhoTapes1 like this.
  11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

How about they stop releasing all of this live **** from the recent tours and instead give us some shows from the Moon era that we KNOW they have...:cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing:

Fullbug, Frippwire, ksmitty and 20 others like this.
  12. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Hopefully a blu ray DVD video will be sold seperately, and not just included in the box set.

Dark Horse 77 and reb like this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

No Zak? Ack, that's lame.

Yankee8156 and Carserguev like this.
  14. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Yes, I couldn't agree more. It's hard to believe that Moon the Loon has been dead for 36 years.

15. DrBeatle

No kidding! And even more of a travesty that there is a paucity of officially released live recordings with him, which for me is the REAL Who. We've got Leeds, Hull, IOW, London Coliseum, "Ottawa," Swansea, and Kilburn (and Monterey '67 if you've got that box set). Apart from Swansea and Kilburn, they are ALL Tommy era shows...again, thank goodness for bootlegs.

16. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Yeah, Tanglewood comes to mind...fix that one horrible blown note Roger utters in "Heaven and Hell" and get that thing out to us in an official capacity already...

17. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Scott Devours is an excellent drummer-I was at the San Diego show in which he filled in for an injured Zak Starkey for the first time, and his performance was remarkable, given that he'd only had one run through of the material.

marc with a c and reb like this.
  18. DrBeatle

Yes, great show! Although they'd probably edit it and re-record bits (see: Leeds and the Young Vic show from '71).

On second thought, bootlegs are just fine :biglaugh:

But SF '71 NEEDS to be released before I die...the tracks on VFABP sound so explosive and amazing...to hear that whole show would be a dream come true.

19. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

All of those, plus the Young Vic '71 (Who's Next deluxe), plus Live in Texas '75 on DVD.

I understand that there are fans who want everything, but eight different live releases (and I'm probably missing others) is hardly a "paucity."

mando_dan and WhoTapes1 like this.
  20. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

But SF '71 NEEDS to be released before I die...the tracks on VFABP sound so explosive and amazing...to hear that whole show would be a dream come true.[/quote]

Is that the show where Moon is passed out and replaced by Scott Halpern??

21. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Sweeeeeet. I hope the Quad BBC documentary is on there somewhere, i've been wanting a physical copy of that for ages.

22. DrBeatle

Ah I forgot those two, but again Houston '75 was on bootleg for YEARS, both DVD and CD...all the Who did was cut the bootleggers off by releasing it officially.

I suppose if you count the numerous Leeds and IOW reissues and re-reissues, we've gotten a lot more :p

23. DrBeatle

Is that the show where Moon is passed out and replaced by Scott Halpern??[/quote]

No, that's SF '73 on the Quad tour.

24. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Ha ha, well, I'd like to see SF '71, too. As mtruslow points out above, that's a great show.

25. DrBeatle

Actually that was him quoting me :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.