New Live Phish Japan Relief - 7/31/1999 CD Already O.O.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, May 31, 2011.

1. rstamberg

rstamberg Forum Resident

Well, I guess they really weren't kidding when they designated this just-released CD as being a limited-edition item.

Last week, I received my pre-ordered copy of Phish's latest Web-only CD release, JAPAN RELIEF, from the dreaded fulfillment company Music Today, who handles Phish's mail order business. Per usual with Music Today, the cardboard-sleeved double-CD set was mailed in nothing more than a bubble-wrap envelope, and as usual with the USPS in such instances, it arrived pretty badly banged up. While the CDs were presumably okay to play — I didn't even open 'em up — the sleeve was creased badly and the spine was squashed.

I called their customer service line only to be told to return it ... but they had no more copies of JAPAN RELIEF and had no idea whether or not they'd be getting any more in stock ever. I checked Phish's Web site and it's gone. It's as if the title never existed there ads a physical product. MP3s containing the album's tracks can be downloaded, however.

Damn.
  2. JayB

JayB Well-Known Member

That stinks..You can download FLAC (lossless-not MP3) files though from Livephish..

http://livephish.com/live-music/0,6...Field-of-Heaven-Fuji-Rock-Festival-Japan.html
  3. zakyfarms

zakyfarms Active Member

Music Today sucks for Phish fulfillment.
    I have learned through bitter experience that if I'm ordering multiple items, order each item as a separate order, so if one item is preordered/delayed/backordered, the others won't go out of print while I'm waiting.
  4. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Forum Resident

Mine arrived in pretty decent shape, but in general, opening a LivePhish package is always a little frightening. Ordered the Bethel CDs last night, and I can't wait to see how they pack up three of 'em.
  5. leefarber

leefarber Well-Known Member

FYI, if you order the physical CD from the link on livephish.com and not Dry Goods, your order is fulfilled directly by Kufala in Paso Robles, CA (the manufacturer), NOT by Music Today. And their shipping charges are actual, not inflated. Not to mention they ship beautifully, safely and quickly, and they're a great bunch of guys.
  6. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Well-Known Member

Wow, shocked to see the Japan cd set is already gone. I've got mine but haven't listened to it yet. Will probably break it out in the car in the next few days. Seems strange that they still have big ads on the official Phish site for the Japan release but the cds are gone with no option to backorder, etc. I guess they must think the people in Japan only need so much help!

I guess with some of these more niche releases like this I've taken the approach for awhile that if I want them I'd better order them right away because I can't imagine they sell that many copies after the initial sales. I certainly get the temptation to just print a certain number of copies you know you can sell and then move them all to downloads after that.
  7. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Well-Known Member

By the way, REALLY looking forward to seeing Phish this coming weekend in Detroit, Cleveland, and Cincy!!!
  8. zakyfarms

zakyfarms Active Member

Thanks, I will remember that and use it when applicable.
  9. rstamberg

rstamberg Forum Resident

I tried that — The folks at Kufala are amazing — but the link now leads to a page that says the item is no longer available.

UPDATE:

Just phoned Kufala. They didn't manufacture JAPAN RELIEF, but they did fulfill some of the orders. I was told Phish Dry Goods oversold the CD and they're gone, really gone. I can't even find one on eBay. This'll be the first Phish official CD I don't have and it's making me crazy trying to get a copy. I downloaded the MP3s, but you know what I'm sayin' ... I need the CD set. Guess I'll post in the classifieds, but this isn't exactly Phish territory ...
  10. MYKE

MYKE Awaiting The Fellow In The Bright Nightgown

All my Gov't Mule purchases come from Music Today, and I've never had a problem. Guess I'm damn lucky.
  11. leefarber

leefarber Well-Known Member

I hear ya'! Yikes! I'll keep my eyes peeled amongst my Phishy crowd for you...
  12. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Jeez...that's a lot of Phish. Nice!
  13. rstamberg

rstamberg Forum Resident

Sure is.

And now that they're putting all their current shows onto CD, well ... there's a lot I haven't listened to ... yet.

Still lookin' for a copy of the CD version of JAPAN RELIEF, y'all.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)