New Madonna single :)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Dip who now?

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's a tough one to love! I started out quite liking it then came to my senses! How do you feel about the new songs?

3. Bobby Morrow

Based on what I've heard, he's not worth getting to know!

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I'll stick with the occasional video on MTV that I stumble across. That's if the ads on the other channel are still going.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Just saw this thread and the other one about six songs being leaked and haven't heard any of them yet. I'll get back to you bobby!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

'Ghosttown' has a nice 90's retro vibe. If you liked 'Bedtime Stories', you'll like this song. For the others, Madonna is trying too hard to sound 'm-o-d-e-r-n'. This approach reminds me of Paul McCartney trying to be sound so80's (apologies Blank and Jones) with 'Press To Play'. Didn't sell. Didn't do him a lot of good.

7. Bobby Morrow

Quite liked the Devil Pray song. Her vocals are very strong on this.

8. Bobby Morrow

Having now heard them all, Ghosttown and Devil Pray are by far the best. Living With Love is listenable and will probably grow. Unapologetic Bitch and Illuminati I could well live without, but neither are as dreadful as Bitch I'm Madonna. I'm presuming the last 3 are all Diplo productions? Not sure about that, though.

9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

What do you think about the album art?
    [​IMG]

10. Bobby Morrow

Well, after hearing Bitch I'm Madonna, I thought she should be strung up! So it's accurate! Actually, I quite like the artwork. The shot above is a nod to her debut album sleeve to me (although she looks younger on Rebel Heart!). Certainly better than the last 2 or 3 albums.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  11. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Well, it definitely hides all the plastic surgery.

12. Bobby Morrow

Maybe the picture is actually her latest non-invasion facelift?!

13. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Everything on the "leaked" album is godawful. I'm guessing some label exec leaked it so they wouldn't have own up to and/or promote this disaster.

14. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Oh, put it away, dear!

15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Is there a discount with my AARP card?

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Me too. Put me off the song right off the bat. It isn't a bad song, but I don't think the treated vocals help at all. The song would be better without them.

17. Bobby Morrow

But they all do it now, of course.. The one strong point of all these songs is that Madonna is in excellent voice, effects to one side. She's a far better singer now than she ever was in her hey day.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

19. Bobby Morrow

Does anyone think any of these songs will chart well? They aren't out of sync with what's happening now, but Madonna is no longer guaranteed a hit these days. I think she's done damage to her 'brand' with the increasingly desperate attempts to come off young and hip with her last couple of albums. Instead of making her appear thus, it's actually drawn attention to her age.

20. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Not a fan of it so far. The trap influced sound seems a little dated to me, not even my favorite Nicki trap song, I like this one better

21. JohnnyQuest

[​IMG]

They all have hit potential thanks to Diplo.:) I'll be rooting for her but I won't be surprised if they all flop.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

Yeah, 'cos If Madonna Calls was such a big hit for Junior Vasquez. She's Madonna by Robbie Williams with Pet Shop Boys didn't exactly set the charts on fire either.

The journalist in me wants to tell the silly old bag to start using commas in song titles but, alas, I'm too polite.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

Unapologetic Bitch is a surefire hit. I like the reggae elements - I just it had a really old dirty reggae sound quality as well.

24. Bobby Morrow

JQ, you're a young guy. One would presume Madonna has made this album for your generation. What are your thoughts on the songs? Would they be better if it weren't Madonna singing them? Would you like them if they were by someone else, or do you think they're bad either way?

25. JohnnyQuest

Nowadays I feel like it's all about the beat. The singer is disposable. One thing I enjoy about Madonna on the few songs I've heard from Rebel Heart is she's finally letting the instrumentals breathe.
    The production is the most important part of this album. Once again she's playing the producer's puppet but it doesn't sound as stale as Hard Candy. (No offense)
    I played a few of the songs for my girlfriend and she loved them. Mostly because of they sound like other songs she loves and hears all the time. That type of familiarity can either help or hurt the songs.
    In this case it works out for her. "Bitch I'm Madonna" sounds like a Jason Derulo song. "Living for Love" sounds like a Lady Gaga track. "Ghosttown" sounds a little too similar to a Miley Cyrus single.
    Just like MDNA I find most of the lyrics cringe-worthy (that has never been a strong suit for Madge.) but I have to remember that these songs are targeted at a younger demographic.
    I just found it odd to hear

"And we can do drugs and we can smoke weed and we can drink whiskey
    Yeah we can get high and we can get stoned
    And we can sniff glue and we can do E and we can drop acid
    Forever be lost with no way home"

from a woman that's close to hitting 60. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.