New Massdrop for Sennheiser HD6xx headphones is on now

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Estimated ship date is Dec 18, 2017 ? Wow.

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

With that knowledge, think I'll pass.

3. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Patience is a virtue...
    In timind's case it's a virtue that takes too long! :laugh:

I got in on this and I can wait. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. I plan on making these my reference phones and relegate my NAD Viso-50 (which I still enjoy very much) to a more on the go and portable roll.

Unfortunately the only way I can climb the headphone ladder is rung by rung. In my research it seems their are few phones that do everything right (one phone to rule them all). I appears it's more like a golf club analogy, you need more than one because there are situations where some excel and are clearly better, and where others are better in different situations. Equipment variables also make a difference in decisions. And since no two people let alone ears hear the same, personal taste also is a factor. So in closing I'm getting in on these because
    1) of the price to performance ratio
    2) the overall favorability
    3) another "club" in my bag

I have listened to the HD-650's before but I didn't spend a lot of time with them so I don't know how they will sound with my equipment and with my music. For the price as many claim, it's a no brainer. That might be the one factor working against me. :shrug:

timind likes this.
  4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Tell me about it. I'm not waiting half a year to save a few dollars. That defeats the purpose. The 5-6 months of enjoyment that one will get between when this ships is worth more than the savings.

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Spend the wait selecting a good headphone amp. My Valhalla 2 makes my 650s sing. You can use your money saved by waiting to help pay for the amp!

DonnyMe likes this.
  6. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I grabbed a pair from the original drop as well. I run them balanced with a Schiit Jotunheim and they sound great. Waiting on my Massdrop AKG K7xx that are supposed to ship next month. They'll be a nice change/compliment to the HD6xx.

kBear and Boomy like this.
  7. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

We're going to blink and it will be Christmas.

8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Don't say that! I'm enjoying the summer! Living in the northeast, December means cold and snow.

kBear likes this.
  9. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

:goodie:You can get these for $199 and wait until Christmas or spend $315 on Amazon for 650's and get them in two days.

I guess it depends on how much you need them at the moment. :goodie:

10. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

There were ample opportunities to purchase the 650s from Massdrop previously. Now due to demand you will need to wait or pay the normal price.

11. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Great HIFI headphones. Not exactly dead accurate if that's your mug of tea, but tonally so enjoyable and amenable to long listening sessions. Recommended. I daresay a bargain at that price.

12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The guys over at Head-Fi must be losing their s**t.

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I joined the drop. Now I need to find an amp or dac/amp or dac and amp. :D I've investigated some of the amps mentioned in this thread already...

Looking forward to the open back experience. I've only ever owned closed or IEMs.

14. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Massdrop has their own selection of headphone amps as well.

15. wavethatflag

They have so many, and I have no experience with headphone amps so I'm apt to follow the recommendations I've seen here. I know that I'd probably prefer solid state.

16. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

You probably saw it already, but the thread for the last drop has some good info, a lot of it from @Ham Sandwich ... Massdrop Sennheiser HD-6xx (aka. HD-650) $199 ... though it does get kind of personal picking an amp (and headphones, for that matter).

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. wavethatflag

I didn't see this because I haven't done searches here yet, but based on the link @Ham Sandwich put in that thread, I kind of like the Jotunheim. But 500 bucks is my limit for a headphone amp/dac or amp and dac. I'd like to spend less but I don't want the Senns to be power deprived.

I'm nowhere near a decision or a buy, as I have until December.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  18. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

From what I've read, if you're a little handy with a soldering iron, the Bottlehead Crack amp kit is supposed to be one of the best amps for all of the HD6xx cans, and it's $300.00.

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

It's on again

20. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

And already 622 pairs sold, at last count. That didn't take long.

21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I expect this drop to sell out fast. Sennheiser recently announced the HD 660 S headphone that looks like it might be a successor to the HD 650. Some fans of the HD650 are worried that the HD650 will be discontinued once the HD660S is in production. Those HD650 fans are panic buying an additional HD650 in this drop just in case. Not me. I bought an extra pair in the last drop. I have all the HD650 I need.

22. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the 650S while I listen to my 600's (which I love). The 150ohm impedence intrigues me for portable use with a balanced Pono. The 600's (at 300ohm) just can't cut it for volume, even balanced.

23. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

My 6XXs shipped this morning! Really curious to compare these to the 600s I've been listening to at home and use one or the other to retire my now-lackluster 555s at work. (Now to wait for the HE4XXs...)

DonnyMe likes this.
  24. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

When did you join the drop? I thought these weren't meant to ship until December...

25. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Mine shipped today, too, wasn't expecting them 'til December, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.